My Canal Ride.........

• 284 posts
    February 20, 2013 1:43 AM PST
    This is a little embarrising but it is funny.

I was at the canal, there is about 5 miles of dirt road that runs inbetween the canal and the woods.  One evening I was riding the canal, hard packed dirt road that is great when dry, and stopped just to watch the water flow along.  There was a good moon out and there are no lights at the canal which makes it a great place to enjoy some peace and quite.

After sitting on my bike for a while I start my ride home.  I had the bikes lights on the entire time I was sitting there, and If you live in the South you know you can end up with some bugs as big as your hand, and the bugs were swooping around as were some Bats that were trying to eat the bugs.

I got going hit about 5mph and I see this brown Dot, about as big as a softball, headed straight at me about 10ft off the ground.  It swoops in closer and I can tell it is gonna hit me right in the face.  I lean down and sure enough a Owl, bout as big as a softball, hits me in the helmet.  Would have caught me in the face if I had not leaned to the side.  Glancing blow, and as I lean I pulled the bars to the left, which the front tire started sliding left, back end going to the right and the bike leaning forward.

I ended up going over the tank about 6ft down the road, doing the superman stlye fly and landing on the dirt road.  Lucky the bike turned off.

So I am sitting there and this Owl does the fly by.  Like in the old war movies.  He flies back over my head, I swear he was looking down and laughing.

I could just see him getting back to his home and putting another Biker Sticker on his wall.  Like the pilots use to put on their planes for Kills.