Hawaii vacation

• 1855 posts
    February 10, 2013 1:54 PM PST
    Has anyone here at CF vacationed in Hawaii?  Where? What Island?  What hotel?  I want to take Gypsy and being unfamiliar makes it tough to decide where to go, where to stay.  Even the best hotels can be shitholes.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Peace
  • February 10, 2013 6:38 PM PST
    We really enjoy Kauai. The laid back atmosphere and the lack of all the tourist crap is why we always stay near Kapaa beach. The interior of the island is the rainiest spot on the planet and the plants and animals are great there. Jurrassic Park was filmed there. We rent a car and go where ever we want. Stay away from Dukes and all the tourist crap it is a waist of money in my opinion. No need to rent a bike either, the road around the island only goes half the way around and is only 90 miles or so long. Just get a car or jeep like we do. If you want to stay in the best hotels on the island then stay in princeville. Have fun and relax Aloha!!
    • 1855 posts
    February 11, 2013 12:36 AM PST
    wheels wrote...
    We really enjoy Kauai. The laid back atmosphere and the lack of all the tourist crap is why we always stay near Kapaa beach. The interior of the island is the rainiest spot on the planet and the plants and animals are great there. Jurrassic Park was filmed there. We rent a car and go where ever we want. Stay away from Dukes and all the tourist crap it is a waist of money in my opinion. No need to rent a bike either, the road around the island only goes half the way around and is only 90 miles or so long. Just get a car or jeep like we do. If you want to stay in the best hotels on the island then stay in princeville. Have fun and relax Aloha!!

Thanks 'wheels', I'll check that out.

Peace

• 80 posts
    February 11, 2013 11:57 PM PST
    wheels wrote...

I totally agree with Wheels.  I saw nearly all of the hawaiian islands courtesy of Uncle Sam during my submarine service.  Kauai is by far the best of the island chain.  You can set your watch by the passing showers each day and it is by far the most beautiful and less disturbed than the rest.  There are some great interior boat tours of the interior of the island if that interests you.
    • 1780 posts
    February 12, 2013 1:47 AM PST
    I'm rolling with wheels (how else can you roll..LOL) on this one. I've been there maybe 4 times, from the Big Island of Hawaii, Wkikiee beach (never could spell worth a crap) Kauai. Some of the best SCUBA Diving I have ever encountered is in the Hawaiian Islands!!! Make sure you check which sides of the Islands NOT to go because the locals HATE us from the Mainland. Like Wheels said, skip the usually tourist places, and find the true beauty of Hawaii. It's a bit pricy there but it's worth it. The first time I went, hell I wanted to move there.

Enjoy the trip
    Dragon
  • February 27, 2013 3:15 PM PST
    We did a 10 day cruise and loved it. Saw all the islands and there ain't a ugly one in the bunch. If I ever go back I'd go to the big island. It's a little more laid back there but still plenty to do. Took a helicopter flight over an active volcano there! If you like crowds or history, Oahu. Got to see Pearl Harbor.