A few Pic's from a Smokey Mountain Day Ride

• 1780 posts
    February 9, 2013 8:06 AM PST
    A few things I noticed from riding off the beaten Path in and around Pigeon Forge Tn:
    (1. The back roads are very well maintained...no pot holes or such
    (2. The back roads have NO sholders, so if you don't keep your eye on the curvy road you will end up in a deep ditch, and end a great day.
    Seems like all the back roads have fairly deep ditches right along the road, and if your trying to enjoy the beatury of the country and not watching the road you could be looking up from a deep ditch.
    (3. Not all curves have a suggested speed posted so you have to be extra careful.
    (4. Some of the locals seem to like to drive on your side of the road when meeting them head on!
    All in all great riding.......Here are some pic's from today

• 11 posts
    February 9, 2013 8:16 AM PST
    NightDragon
    Happy to read you had a Safe Ride, Despite the problems w/ my home state's roads! YOu got everything right about the backroads The pics are very lovely, Thanks for sharing. I'm over in another area of the Mtns. up in the foothills or the Blue Ridge Mtns. I'll be in the Smokies, along about May, I hope.
    • 1780 posts
    February 9, 2013 9:30 AM PST
    NightDragon
    Happy to read you had a Safe Ride, Despite the problems w/ my home state's roads! YOu got everything right about the backroads The pics are very lovely, Thanks for sharing. I'm over in another area of the Mtns. up in the foothills or the Blue Ridge Mtns. I'll be in the Smokies, along about May, I hope.

If you get into this area look me up....I have an empty back seat.

Have a great week

Dragon

• 44 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:08 PM PST
    Great Pics and you are so right about the road wait till you ride the dragon better watch the road also you get the chance ride down to the Ocoee national park. Also the ride over to Townsend down wears valley road is a nice ride
    • 44 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:21 PM PST
    one crossed off the bucket list
    • 1780 posts
    February 10, 2013 12:32 AM PST
    speedyre wrote...
    Great Pics and you are so right about the road wait till you ride the dragon better watch the road also you get the chance ride down to the Ocoee national park. Also the ride over to Townsend down wears valley road is a nice ride

Yea a couple of the pics were taken on Wears Valley road on the way to Townsend.............Danm I'm like a kid in a candy store here!!!
    Dragon

• 314 posts
    February 10, 2013 1:11 AM PST
    Nice pictures
    • 19037 posts
    February 10, 2013 1:46 AM PST
    Hey Kenny, Nice! You make a good point about the shoulders. If you want to enjoy the scenery ya can't go too fast. If ya want to go fast ya can't enjoy the scenery.
  • February 10, 2013 4:52 AM PST
    Nice day for a ride - nice pics - good advise - wanna be there instead here with ice and snow
    • 3006 posts
    February 10, 2013 5:07 AM PST
    Thanks for sharing the kool pics & the info,looks like a great area to ride in.You landed in a good spot

Out here in Calif there are lots of backroads that can wind for miles w/out any shoulder to speak of
    especially some of the older costal roads.Road conditions are mediocre are best,and ya always have
    to keep an eye out for all type of road hazards,potholes,road debris,& of course the absent minded
    tourists.Yet the nice part about out here,all the different hole in the wall, off the beaten track, spots.
    • 9 posts
    February 10, 2013 8:39 AM PST
    GOD ALIMIGHTY, that's AWESOME!!! I miss the mountains SO MUCH!!! Great pics, Dragon. Aside from watchin' the road while your ridin', how you like the rest of the place? I know y'aint been there long, but have ya met any of the "locals", like the Highlanders? Awesome bunch.
    Been a while, since I rode up yonder, but boy howdy, I sure do MISS THAT!!! (Fist pump!)  And check this place out, if ya get an itch to ride
    the roads...

Smokey Mountain Trading
    2495 Echo Hollow  Road
    Lenoir City, TN 37771

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 2 posts
    February 10, 2013 9:05 AM PST
    Nice.
    Driven that way a time or tow but never got to make the ride - Hope there is time left
    • 3 posts
    February 10, 2013 11:23 AM PST
    a lot of great roads in that area my family and myself are planning a trip to that area the third week of june about 5 or 6 bikes for a few days
    • 1780 posts
    February 10, 2013 11:16 PM PST
    Tweek wrote...
    GOD ALIMIGHTY, that's AWESOME!!! I miss the mountains SO MUCH!!! Great pics, Dragon. Aside from watchin' the road while your ridin', how you like the rest of the place? I know y'aint been there long, but have ya met any of the "locals", like the Highlanders? Awesome bunch.
    Been a while, since I rode up yonder, but boy howdy, I sure do MISS THAT!!! (Fist pump!)  And check this place out, if ya get an itch to ride
    the roads...

Smokey Mountain Trading
    2495 Echo Hollow  Road
    Lenoir City, TN 37771

Ride Free
    Tweek

PO have met several of the locals.....some Bikers, some local Country Foke....The way to fit in around here is simple......Be polite, and don't act stupid!

• 11 posts
    February 11, 2013 2:24 AM PST
    Chevyman, you all will be traveling through the mtns. at a very good & beautiful time, as it is when the rhododendrons all over the mtns. are in bloom. A beautiful sight to behold, for sure! Have a safe trip down here to the NC & TN mtns!
  • February 11, 2013 4:10 AM PST
    Looks like a nice day for a ride. I'm a little jealous. We had some nice winter weather this weekend.
    • 1780 posts
    February 12, 2013 11:49 PM PST
    Met a couple of the locals at the Saloon in the picture, so I set down introduced myself and told them I just moved here from Texas. One dude I believe only had 3 teeth, and the other had a pretty strong accent. I'm thinking I bet these two guys play the banjo. So I was asking them where they was from, the one with 3 teeth said right here. I said oh in this town, he said no right here on this bar stool....the other one said no dumb ass he means where's your house....was that what he was a meaning. At this point I'm laughing so hard I through I was going to break a rib.
    They said when the people get to know me I would be invited to set under the big oak tree and talk with the others, but don't get caught under that tree without a invite, or a ass wuppen was in line. I thanked them for the local info, and jumped back on skull.

I'm thinking...Dragon this is going to be one crazy place

Night Dragon