First Bike!!!

• February 1, 2013 4:41 AM PST
    Hey all, been a while since I was on here. Got my first street bike though!!!! I am tickled to death. It's a 2004 Honda Shadow VLX 600.
  • February 1, 2013 4:43 AM PST
    Ride safe and congrats!
    • 846 posts
    February 1, 2013 6:35 AM PST
     Congrats and enjoy, 
  • February 1, 2013 6:49 AM PST
    Congrats to you on your new best friend,who is a very dependable friend.Your bike will last many miles with basic maintence such as spark plugs,grease the chain and keeping the chain adjusted to the right tension.Think the last year the 600vlx was made was 2007,so take good care of your new set of hot wheels.They are a fun ride with all the torque in the lower gears.
  • February 1, 2013 7:57 AM PST
    Awesome, welcome to the world of Motorcycle funHow do you like the bike?
  • February 1, 2013 8:14 AM PST
    petrusrock wrote...
    Awesome, welcome to the world of Motorcycle funHow do you like the bike?

I love it! It's beautiful. It's my first street bike. Here in Kentucky.....it's to daggone cold to ride right now. LOL

• February 1, 2013 9:08 AM PST
    You live in the land of nice motorcycle roadsyou lucky guy. Yeah it is actually freezing there right now. But you guys will only have a short while of it, few days its over, we still got a good month to go here in Chicago. Northern MN was at 40 below a few days back. You guys will be out again soon.
  • February 1, 2013 9:49 AM PST
    petrusrock wrote...
    You live in the land of nice motorcycle roadsyou lucky guy. Yeah it is actually freezing there right now. But you guys will only have a short while of it, few days its over, we still got a good month to go here in Chicago. Northern MN was at 40 below a few days back. You guys will be out again soon.

Chicago huh?? Yeah, what we're getting, you all would probably consider spring time!! LOL!

• February 1, 2013 10:20 AM PST
    Did you get the silver deluxe? Is the bike still stock?
    • 3006 posts
    February 2, 2013 4:46 AM PST
    Sweet bike ! Lots of people do mods on that style of bike & their are some online groups you can check for tips on your new motosickleHave fun,stay safe & enjoy the ride !!!
  • February 2, 2013 1:52 PM PST
    BlacktopGypsy wrote...
    Did you get the silver deluxe? Is the bike still stock?

Not sure.....it's only got pipes I think.
  • February 2, 2013 2:38 PM PST
    Do yourself a favor, read a couple books on better riding (if you are new to this), may seem funny but if you do and then work on your skills - best thing you can do, will make you a better and safer rider. Dont worry about mods, or speed or power until your skills are up there. Seen to many people on really cool looking bikes go into a corner and lose it because of lack of skills. Just check the photo albums on the DragonBeen riding for 37 years, still working on my skills
    • 44 posts
    February 2, 2013 2:50 PM PST
    I agree with petrusrock I Thought I had Skills untile me and the wife rode the dragon she on hers and me on mine well lets just say what a rush RIDE SAFE AND NEVER RIDE FASTER THAN YOUR ANGLE
    • 85 posts
    February 2, 2013 3:13 PM PST
    I have to agree with these other folks, getting a feel for your bike and learning the basics should come before the mods, Ive only been riding a few months now, I got a 650 Yamaha, its kinda small but handles really well in the mountains! I figure another season of riding then move up to a bigger bike. Good luck and stay safe.
    • 567 posts
    February 3, 2013 1:14 AM PST
    Hope you enjoy your new scoot. KY has some really nice places for riding.
    • 19007 posts
    February 3, 2013 1:22 AM PST
    MotorCycle Safety Foundation rider classes should be attended by every rider, especially new riders!!

Here is some info on them in your state...http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=KY />
    and...Welcome from the 'at large' member to the best damn biker site on this here web thing.
  • February 3, 2013 3:11 AM PST
    I agree with Rex MSF classes are good for anyone, even if you have been riding for a while - take the advanced class once you got a couple years on a bike. Here in IL taking a class is inexpensive ($25 for a three day class) and well worth it. You will find you may have developed some habits you can do without and some habits you desperately need.
    • 2 posts
    February 3, 2013 4:27 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    MotorCycle Safety Foundation rider classes should be attended by every rider, especially new riders!!

Here is some info on them in your state...http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=KY />
    and...Welcome from the 'at large' member to the best damn biker site on this here web thing.
    ↑ +1
    Also,you get a discout on your auto insurance, or at least you do in NY.
  • February 3, 2013 11:44 AM PST
    Let me back up and explain my earlier post about questioning if the bike was still stock or had been modified.I'm proud to say I own a 2004 VLX 600.This bike has only few after market parts,so I'm always curious to see any changes that have been made other than this bike chopped into a bobber with wrapped pipes.When I first got this bike, I didn't think I'd keep it longer than 6 months.I was soo wrong about that some 30,000 miles later.I've had many chances to buy other bikes, and many chances to sell this 04 for more than I paid.......but its just been a trusted companion.
  • February 3, 2013 1:17 PM PST
    Congrats on the bike!!! I like to see some pictures of her.
    • 7 posts
    February 4, 2013 12:51 AM PST
    Congrats!

And... remember. They ARE trying to kill you out there on the road ;-)
    • 12 posts
    February 8, 2013 11:34 AM PST
    nice bike. good power, smooth ride. very solid bike, easy to work on. good luck, ride safe, enjoy it
  • February 9, 2013 4:14 PM PST
    Congratz!