Polaris Rides ATV And Snowmobile Success In Bid To Revive Indian

• 2 posts
    January 12, 2013 8:06 AM PST
     In the history of American business there have been some legendary rivalries. Coke vs. Pepsi. Apple vs.Microsoft. GM vs. Ford. Sixty years ago the list would have included Indian Motorcycles vs. Harley-Davidson, but after Indian, America’s first motorcycle maker, went bankrupt in 1953 that rivalry disappeared. A succession of owners tried to revive the company over the years, but insufficient capital, along with trademark and quality issues, doomed every attempt.

Now a new owner with deep pockets and a proven track record is trying again, promising to take on Harley-Davidson in the lucrative motorcycling-as-a-lifestyle market.

Polaris Industries, known for its snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and Victory motorcycles, acquired the Indian brand in 2011 and will intrWith only 20 Indian dealers left in the U.S., Polaris also has to build a new distribution network. Victory has some 450 dealers in North America, many of whom also sell Polaris machines, but Indian will have a separate dealer network, Menneto said.

While Polaris is taking pains to keep the two brands separate, its experience building Victory has taught it a lot about motorcycle buyers, said Menneto. “They don’t buy just the machine. They buy the brand, the company, the apparel, the accessories and the connections to fellow riders within the brand,” he said. “All that learning we’re putting into Indian as well.”oduce its first all-new Chief model this year. 

Details about the first new bike, on sale this summer, are closely guarded, with teaser photos to be revealed at motorcycle shows and events in the coming months. One thing for certain: They will be cheaper, to better compete with Harley-Davidson’s models, which sell for $8,000 to $24,000.  .   .   .   .

The new Indian is being engineered from scratch, with new frames and new engines, as well as a handful of classic Indian styling cues, such as the war bonnet, the valanced fender and the engine’s exposed push rods.   .   .   . .   .

Indian production was moved in 2011 to a Polaris factory in Iowa where the company already makes Victory motorcycles, but Menneto said none of the components will be borrowed from Victory. “We’re spending a lot of money and time making sure we don’t cross over at all.”

With only 20 Indian dealers left in the U.S., Polaris also has to build a new distribution network. Victory has some 450 dealers in North America, many of whom also sell Polaris machines, but Indian will have a separate dealer network, Menneto said.

While Polaris is taking pains to keep the two brands separate, its experience building Victory has taught it a lot about motorcycle buyers, said Menneto. “They don’t buy just the machine. They buy the brand, the company, the apparel, the accessories and the connections to fellow riders within the brand,” he said. “All that learning we’re putting into Indian as well.”

www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/01/02/polaris-rides-atv-and-snowmobile-success-in-bid-to-revive-indian-motorcycles/ type="_moz" />

• January 12, 2013 3:29 PM PST
    Cool!
  • January 12, 2013 3:47 PM PST
    I dunno... it's like Stephen King wrote a new horror novel and called it "Motorcycle Sematary." Nothing good can come of breathing life back into something that's been essentially dead for sixty years.
  • January 12, 2013 5:20 PM PST
    Time will tell but I bet the big wheels at Harley are taking notice. Good luck to Polaris, I have always wanted a big chief but just never had the money.
  • January 12, 2013 11:50 PM PST
    wheels wrote...
    Time will tell but I bet the big wheels at Harley are taking notice. Good luck to Polaris, I have always wanted a big chief but just never had the money.

Oh yeah, I bet they are, too

And they should be.  Competition is a good thing.  I guess what bothers me (if that's the right word) is that for all practical purposes, the Indian brand is dead.  I mean, you can keep having companies build bikes and call them "Indians", but there's no legacy behind the product Polaris is going to generate, and outside of a few cosmetic touches, how connected with the *real* Indians are these bikes going to be?  Are they going to have the same shift pattern that the old Indians had?  And I kind of question the idea of building "nostalgic" bikes just for the sake of it.  I like the looks of them too, but at least to me, building a new bike to look old is kind of like this whole thing about selling new blue jeans with pre-made holes in them so they look lived-in. 

Ah, well, I'm just getting this off my chest, not trying to start a debate   I wish them the best of luck - hard for me to get too down on anybody who is trying to better the biking universe...

• 2 posts
    January 13, 2013 2:53 AM PST
    Yeh, really hoping that they succeed.
    Competition brings out the best in all of us. - Hope that the succeed to the point that they have to build lighter, tighter handing rides for the low end of the line.
    One more big V-Twin shrouded in fairings excites me not at all but a recreation of the concept of the Scout - light, fast, repairable really gets me pumping.
  • January 13, 2013 3:50 AM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    Yeh, really hoping that they succeed.
    Competition brings out the best in all of us. - Hope that the succeed to the point that they have to build lighter, tighter handing rides for the low end of the line.
    One more big V-Twin shrouded in fairings excites me not at all but a recreation of the concept of the Scout - light, fast, repairable really gets me pumping.

Totally agree.  I guess what I wouldn't mind seeing is Polaris buying the Indian name, burying it, and creating something like the Scout in the Victory line as the conceptual successor to the Scout.  Don't specifically call it an Indian, but acknowledge those roots.  

I may be biased.  My dad was an old Harley rider, rode an Indian once and swore he'd never do it again  

• 1161 posts
    January 13, 2013 11:21 AM PST
    I sure hope they update them a bit and keep with old school styling, I loved the Indian look.  But I was looking at,  and was thinking about getting a Victory because of ride quality for my back. But this may be a whole new animal all together will keep my eye out.
    • 19040 posts
    January 14, 2013 12:32 AM PST
    I too hope they succeed. Harley needs some competition in their market.