Zippo

• 1855 posts
    November 28, 2012 7:43 AM PST
    1969 VIETNAM WAR ZIPPO LIGHTER  TO CONSERVE FIGHTING STRENGTH AMEDD Army  Anyone into collecting Zippo lighters?  The inscription on the lighter pictured is "To Conserve Fighting Strength".  It is from 1967.  It was my birthday, March 25th and I just turned 19 years old.  I was at Ft. Sam Houston outside of San Antonio about to start my medical training.  Some damn platoon sgt. had us sitting out in the rain in front of the PX.  Why? He was a jerk.  I stood up and started walking to the PX and said, "What d'ya think you're doing?"

"I'm  getting out of the rain", and I just kept walking, went inside and bought my lighter.  Actually the pic isn't my lighter.  Mine is in a lot better shape, original red felt and it still works just fine. I never saved anything else from my military service.  Anyone got memorabilia from their time in the military?

BTW, my lighter is not for sale. 

Peace
    • 2 posts
    November 28, 2012 10:22 AM PST
    Don't so much "collect" as accumulate things, including lighters.

Keep them around against the possibility some moron drops the bombs. - Problem with that plan is never actually use them & by the time I try to the can of fluid is rusted up. - Reminds me, should go to Wally-World and get another.
    • 834 posts
    November 28, 2012 11:24 AM PST
    Pretty cool. I have an old Anheuser Busch Zippo that I've been told is from the 1950's
    • 19034 posts
    November 28, 2012 10:52 PM PST
    Not into collecting but as you most likely know Zippo has a museum not too far from you. Would probably be a good overnight trip when the weather gets a bit better. US Route 6 in PA is a good ride.

http://www.zippo.com/about/article.aspx?id=1584 />
    • 1855 posts
    November 29, 2012 12:23 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Not into collecting but as you most likely know Zippo has a museum not too far from you. Would probably be a good overnight trip when the weather gets a bit better. US Route 6 in PA is a good ride.

Yep, been to Bradford quite a few times.  Had a friend who owned a coffee shop there and It's wonderful riding through the forest of NW Pa. Also have some friends in Spartansburg...what a wonderful area.  A bit snowy but still very cool country.

Peace
    • 80 posts
    November 29, 2012 4:55 AM PST
    Don't have any lighters from military days, but I do have MK14 torpedo guidance gyro from one of the old WWII diesel subs that I rode in 1963. Things were easier to aquire in those days, but became significantly harder to get after the nuclear boats replaced the diesels.
    • 16825 posts
    November 30, 2012 7:17 AM PST
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Yep, been to Bradford quite a few times.  Had a friend who owned a coffee shop there and It's wonderful riding through the forest of NW Pa. Also have some friends in Spartansburg...what a wonderful area.  A bit snowy but still very cool country.

Peace

A trip I have taken many times.

• December 1, 2012 3:43 PM PST
    Funny how zippos have become so collectable. As kids they were nothing much. Now they are like gold!
    • 3006 posts
    December 2, 2012 7:30 AM PST
    Your lucky to have saved tht zippo for all these years.Did ya end up catchin hell for that ?? Some things are never for sale no matter what the price !!!

My daughter knows my love for zippos n gave me a really nice one 3 yrs ago,Indian Chief with turquiose inlay.Used it for abt a year then stashed it away as I worried abt losing it.I also have a special edition Camel zippo I got w/my camel bucks years ago,and assorted misc others I have collected over the years. So yeah I guess I am a collector I have a couple tht are from the 70's too.
    • 1855 posts
    December 2, 2012 7:31 AM PST
    And now the old Bazooka Joe cartoons that came with bazooka bubblegum will be collectibles.

Peace
    • 2 posts
    December 2, 2012 7:54 AM PST
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Your lucky to have saved tht zippo for all these years.Did ya end up catchin hell for that ?? Some things are never for sale no matter what the price !!!

My daughter knows my love for zippos n gave me a really nice one 3 yrs ago,Indian Chief with turquiose inlay.Used it for abt a year then stashed it away as I worried abt losing it.I also have a special edition Camel zippo I got w/my camel bucks years ago,and assorted misc others I have collected over the years. So yeah I guess I am a collector I have a couple tht are from the 70's too.
    If you are not selling one every now & then you are like me and accumulting not collecting them.
    • 3006 posts
    December 3, 2012 8:21 AM PST
    Actually I have given 2 of them away,one to a friend,and one to my brother.
    At some point I will probably give away the camel lighters too,not into selling them as
    my grankids may want em as collectibles?