open primary upgrade

• November 11, 2012 12:54 AM PST
    here is one for ya'll. i am thinking of buying the Primo Shovelhead conversion kit from JP cycles. it consists of a new 3" open primary system with a 6 speed tranny and an updated starter. i have found an outfit that sells a kicker kit for the 6 speed so i am good there my question is has anyone tried this setup and if so how is it working out for you? its 3 grand but i would think the updated hardware would make it a worthwhile expence.
    • 1 posts
    November 11, 2012 2:00 AM PST
    Have a couple of old Shovels, none of them have an open primary as I personaly do not like the look... Just droped a 5 speed into and old 4 speed on the 82 FLHS. Have had to upgraded on everything as it was stroked in 84 to an 88 CI.... Still have the orginal kicker on it and refuse to get rid of it as I just like the look and it is orginal equiment. One of the reason I stuck ewith the 5 speed upgrade did not have to change any thing else on her.
    Good luck with your upgrades.
  • November 11, 2012 2:16 AM PST
    Thanks Bitchy. i already have the open primary but my 4 speed is worn slap out so it needs either a rebuild or an upgrade and the old hitachi starter is on borrowed time so for the price i am lookin into this and you are right no way in hell will i give up my kicker.
    • 1 posts
    November 11, 2012 11:55 PM PST
    The 5 tranny was made by revtech no need to change any thing else just slid into the place of the old 4... SHOOT linkage was needed to change also.  but no mods to frame or need to move anything around or remount any thing...
  • November 12, 2012 10:45 PM PST
    the 6 in this primo kit is also a revtech product the guy who put the open system on mine never put in the equalizer plate and the 4 speed shifted just a hair and screwed up the guts. i can rebuild the 4 speed and carry on or do the upgrade. cost wise is close between rebuild and do right or swap systems so thats why i am looking at it not to mention the conversion is one sweet looking package...
    • 1 posts
    November 12, 2012 11:29 PM PST
    Just a personal thing but looks wins with me... It is why I fall in love with the bikes I do... Good luck and keep me informed on the old shovel.