Cannonball Race

• September 24, 2012 4:17 AM PDT
    Saturday there were many vintage Harley's and Indians in town - I of course left my camera at home. I just found out from a friend of mine that they road from NY to CA and were on their way from Fortuna down to the HD dealership in Cotati. Her husband was a rider/mechanic along the way.  Posted is a pic I found on like of what one of the bikes looked like. It was so awesome! Teach me to forget my camera!
  • September 24, 2012 5:35 AM PDT
    I do believe Buzz, worte something in American Iron Mag about this race and usually a staff member particapates every year. What an Awesome site that must have been to see hundreds of bikes or varying years chuging down the roads. Do you recall of the Motor Maids particapated in this event? Or do they their own(?). It would have been a group of gals in white leater vests, boots and gloves. have a great one! "T"
    • 846 posts
    September 24, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
     Buzz from American Iron did a several part piece on the bike he's using this year and it rebuild a Harley 1929 JDH. Yes I agree that must have been some site to see bikes 80+ years old. The site for the results is http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/ ; This is the second cannonball the first one in 2010 was for pre 1916 motorcycles and this years was pre 1930 motorcyles. From the time frame you must have been close to the finish so lucky you got to see all the finishers. I know it remarkable to see those old machines still running and to see a whole collection of the different types of bikes must have been something else.
    • 1 posts
    September 24, 2012 1:34 PM PDT
    Chaz is correct in this is the second time and the frist was pre 1916. Have a friend that sopposer this event and this time had 2 members of my local antique club race. One did really good the other did not.
    I can say it is not for everyone as you need a team of highly skilled machinist etc to keep them going.

Also it takes a deep pocket to do this race. But yep it is the coolest thing to see even for a minute.