Why keep the new model a secret?

• September 17, 2012 3:07 PM PDT
    I heard a few months ago that Yamaha is upgrading the FJR 1300 into a 1400 with other technological updates. They've released all the other models for 2013, but haven't shown anything on the FJR. Today they revealed the new cruiser line up, and they look awesome. Still, every bike in their line up is revealed for 2013, except the bike I'm really interested in.

For you peeps in the know, why do they do this? They give out whispers to the bike mags and news sources that they are releasing an all new FJR, sport touring rig. Why don't they show it to us already?

Depending on what new designs and technology utilized, might it be best to give it a year to get the bugs out?

OK, can y'all tell I'm waiting and wanting a new bike? lol

• 80 posts
    September 18, 2012 3:12 AM PDT
    Money is the overriding driver of general production efforts. It is possible that initial road trials or engineering designs for the FJR upgrade developed some snags that could not be corrected for 2013. The company may have found greater interest in other models that will produce higher profits. Internal company managers or stockholders may have decided to discontinue production of the model even though earlier marketing advertisements were released. Whatever the reason, you can bet it will remain classified within the company.
    • 3006 posts
    September 18, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
    LOL yeah I feel for you,I remember when they were talking about building the vtx1300,couldnt wait to test ride one,and well the rest is history.
    I agree with Seawolf,could be any number of valid resons why they are not releasing the model here,it could be slated for a release to other markets first.
    I know from reading cycleworld the reviews were good on the FJR1300 yet there were heat issues too some of the test riders were not all tht pleased with that aspect of the bike.So it may be a technical issue,in my mind that makes the most sense.Prolly early next year they will release it,just in time to meet the next challenge from Honda !! LOL