NOT something you ever want to see.

• August 26, 2012 1:16 PM PDT
    It was pretty much an overcast, rainy day up here, but the clouds broke around 5:00 and I decided to ride the bike out to one of my favorite county parks on Keyes Lake.  Figured I'd just sit there, read a book, and soak in the last hour of daylight before calling it a weekend.  So as I was rolling into Florence, an ambulance from the local ambulance service came roaring out of town, heading towards the hospital a few miles east in Iron Mountain.  Lights flashing, sirens screaming, the whole thing.  Hmm, not good, but didn't think much more about it.

Then, I came around the last corner before reaching the park entrance, and saw a bunch of squad cars and other first responders all parked along the side of the road.  Then I saw the first bike, on it's side in the ditch.  And the second, sitting on top of a flatbed truck.  My heart just stopped.  I didn't want to bother anybody working the scene, but I did wander across the road to the campground across from the county park.  I was able to talk to the lady running the campground; apparently a fawn ran out in front of the two bikes, and they couldn't avoid it.  One guy apparently was able to lay his bike down without too much harm, but the second really went down hard.  Thankfully, no lives were lost, but there were some broken bones and such, and I gather at least one of the riders was pretty seriously banged up.

God, I hate like hell to see that kind of thing.  I guess just another reminder to be careful out there.  My prayers are with the riders involved...
    • 9 posts
    August 26, 2012 1:39 PM PDT
    Dang, Todd. It's been THAT kind of weekend. I'll send up some prayers for those folks, too. I think this may be the maker's way, of tellin' us all, not to get complacent. Enjoy your ride, for sure. But keep both hands on the bars kids, and be ready to cover those brakes. If it isn't a cager who isn't payin' attention, it's nature, doin' what they do. Sure makes me appreciate life, that much more, too. I think we all need to stop and think sometimes. About how blessed we are, how "rich" we are for those blessings, and to enjoy ALL that we have. And IF, you're fortunate enough to be able to enjoy your adventure's, remember those who can't. Or, those who weren't fortunate enough,
    to make it back from a ride. And be thankful. I don't have a bike at the moment, but even if I did, I would honor those who didn't make it back, by riding responsibly, and by enjoying every single moment I could. None of us, knows when our "number will come up", but we don't have to help that along any...
    So please Ya'll...Ride Hard, RIDE SAFE, and Ride Free!!!

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 85 posts
    August 26, 2012 5:35 PM PDT
    Here in Georgia we have more than our fair share of deer and other wildlife that seam to conjugate on the center lines of our back roads, more than once Ive had to dodge the beast wanting to be where I was at the same time, Ive been lucky so far and try not to ride that much at night. Sure keeps a feller on his toes! Everybody ride safe.
    • 611 posts
    August 26, 2012 6:53 PM PDT
    What a bummer... wildlife running across the road. Have been fortunate, only two dogs in many years.
    Thoughts and prayers to the riders...
  • August 27, 2012 12:51 AM PDT
    Wildlife and people the two most unpredictable creatures on our roads. Well, low end slides will hurt but for the most part we can live throught them but high end slides are another thing. I 'm happy to read that he will get by with some bumps, and bangs that can be healed. Shit happens and when it happens to you it sucks, and it can happen at any time and any place with or without reason. I do know a couple of folks that have hit deer and walked away with out a scratch or any harm to them or their bikes. It can be done. Its at the moment when you've zigged and zagged and realized its the little fuzzy woodchuck or me. ya stand back on them pegs, hit the throttle and pull back on the bars and just do it. Some thing that doesn't sit right with any of us, because we don't want to hit any animal, we don't want to go out or our wayto do so, and it does make us rather sad to kill them. However, there is only seconds to decide, once the decision is made, ya gotta commet. To these folks and their families may the healing process be quick, and as pain free as possilbe. To the rest of us Any time Any place Any where Any level of skil Any level of experience it can happen to you. have a great one "T"
    • 2 posts
    August 27, 2012 1:10 AM PDT
    Serious Question:
    With a modern motorcycle, shod with disc brakes fore & aft, does "laying-it-down" stop you any faster?

Am so afraid of deer that when riding at nite always ride with right hand covering the front brake lever. - but would never have been expecting one on the access road to a campground, during the daytime. - They do have a habit of engaging the unexpected. The only one I actually ever hit full on stepped out of a frozen custard stand onto a heavily traveled, undivided 4 lane.
    • 1 posts
    August 27, 2012 7:21 AM PDT
    " Eat more venison" Never have I had a cow jump over my head on a bike but yep had a deer do it. I have had more then one close encouter with the vermits and have been lucky that the biker gods was watching over me, more then once. So back to eat more venison.
    Healing vibes to both bikers involved because even road rash sucks!
    • 658 posts
    August 27, 2012 8:44 AM PDT
    I get off work at the ER at 11:30 pm and ride home the back way all the time. I know the "Fav" hangouts for my furry friends but it's the rouge that surprises me every now and then. I'm with Savage, I cover the brake lever also and keep a lower gear just to be safe. Been lucky so far a few close calls but no cigar "Yet".

Medic
  • August 27, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Serious Question:
    With a modern motorcycle, shod with disc brakes fore & aft, does "laying-it-down" stop you any faster?

Am so afraid of deer that when riding at nite always ride with right hand covering the front brake lever. - but would never have been expecting one on the access road to a campground, during the daytime. - They do have a habit of engaging the unexpected. The only one I actually ever hit full on stepped out of a frozen custard stand onto a heavily traveled, undivided 4 lane.

I didn't see it, of course, but I got the impression from the campground host that he was trying to avoid the more spectacular crash of his companion more than anything else.  Not really an effort to stop, just to control the result.  But again, I wasn't there.  I personally agree with you; I'd rather rely on my brakes...

• August 27, 2012 1:15 PM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Serious Question:

Did the deer drop it's frozen custard when you hit it?

I have always been bothered a bit whenever I hear someone say, "...and I had to lay it down." I hope I am never in a situation where that seems like it's the only viable option. I did run square into the back of a pick up once when the tail lights I had been seeing for a while didn't get any brighter once the driver hit the brakes hard enough to actually STOP, and I did drop the bike upon impact, which prevented me from being squished by the SUV behind me whose bumper stopped above my rear tire. But I never considered "laying it down" as an option.

As far as the deer in the road, whenever I have ever seen one just standing there, minding its own business, I have always headed straight for it, all the while checking for shiney beady eyes on either side of the street. Chances are, the one you are aiming at will move before you get to it, so once I have the bike upright and running straight, I start applying the brakes, just in case. Since I can't predict which direction it is going to go, I would rather not be in mid-swerve when I suddenly decide it's time to try and STOP. I aim for it, and it is NEVER in that same spot by the time I get there.

However, if you see ONE deer out on a road, chances are, there will be more! It's the ones that stay on the side of the road and wait till I get there to run out in front of me that I am mroe concerned with. And the fawns, even though they are smaller, are actually a larger concern for me. The old ones got that way by learning to avoid running in front of traffic. Hell, some of them around here won't even pick up their heads as the munch the grass growing at the edge of the road as I motor on by. The young ones are still skittish and unpredictable. I slow WAAAAY down when I see deer with spots on their backs!

• 611 posts
    September 4, 2012 5:20 PM PDT
    In El Paso, I entered an intersection @ 40. In the right lane with no cars around me. As I reached the halfway point, a DEER ran into the intersection & headed right for me. All I had was a rear drum brake and I locked that sucker up, dropped it on the right side and slid under the deer... well, he jumped me. I stood the bike up, dropped into the saddle, hit first gear and motored on. A few scratches on me and the bike was all I came away with.
    edge "NoDeer" walker