question about service

• May 27, 2012 4:32 AM PDT
    Sorry in advance if this gets lengthy, but need the advice of someone with a little more motorcycle service / warranty expirience than me.

I purchased a 2004 Roadking in 2011, the bike was listed as "pristine condition" and by my expirience it is, nothing mechanically wrong or such. I rode the bike for about 10 months while performing regular oil changes myself. Earlier this year at the start of riding season I took the bike in for new tires. When the technician replaced the tires he began to explain how imperative it was I get the 50k service done as there are "springs and a body" that needd to be checked and / or upgraded (to the tune of $1,500). He went on to explain that my Primary Case was leaking and to repair this along with the  50k service would run right around $1,100 for labor plus whatever additional gaskets, spark plugs or seals I would need. I brought this to the attention of one of the sales people at the dealership who (thank God) had ensured when I purchased the bike I also got a 1 year mainteance coverage. So since I had about a month of coverage left, I got the bike in to the shop and authorized the repairs which were to be covered under Harley's extended service plan. A week went by and when I picked up the motorcycle, I was informed all that was needed was to change the input seal on the transmission ?????

I have lost confidence in having my bike serviced at this dealership as I do not understand why my bike was in such great need of repair when the service department thought it would be out of pocket costs and then once it was determined the cost of repair was to come from Harley Davidson,
    no major problems were found.

The technician had also informed me (the first day) that unless I got the 50k check up soon my cruise control would probably stop working in the near future, you gussed it... it stopped working the day I got it home from the shop..the man's a genious!!!

So, if any of you have any thoughts or input, I'd love to hear it! 
    • 19007 posts
    May 27, 2012 6:18 AM PDT
    Sounds like a corporate style dealer to me. More concerned with raising profits, which it is OK to make a living but not by selling or over charging for basic maintenance. You quoted them as saying "springs and a body." That is extremely confusing to me. Did they mean the cam tensioners? There is a known defect in the cam tensioners of the early twinkies and that would be about the right price range. Ask that salesman if they have maintenance records for the bike. See if they were already replaced. I have heard them being replaced at as low as 15k miles and I actually got 70K miles before they were replaced. BUT I waited FAR TOO LONG. That primary seal is a weak point, my 04 King has had his replaced.

Here is a link to that forum I posted.
    http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson/Early-Twin-Cam-tensioners-96553-1.html />
  • May 27, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
    Re-reading my post, and reading your response, you are exactly right. The bike was a consignment sale so there are no service records however, a list of upgrades which included a camshaft was provided.
  • May 27, 2012 9:29 AM PDT
    Ah, found the list,
    Big bore kit, se203 cam w/ roller bearing upgrade, performance clutch kit (screaming eagle)....
    Now, I don't know but would think this ought to cover most issues or am I wrong? BTW Rex, appreciate your feedback!
    • 19007 posts
    May 27, 2012 1:23 PM PDT
    Now I am really confused as to what he meant by 'springs and body'. Sounds more like they wanted to sell you some service for the sake of selling service. I think I would find a different shop.
  • May 28, 2012 1:49 AM PDT
    Again, Rex really appreciate your opinion/ response, thanks.
    I've never wrenched on motorcycles more than oil changes, or light accessory installs but you know the feeling you get when you talk to the mechanic from that Alan Jackson song?
    yeah, that's the feeling I got.
  • May 29, 2012 7:49 AM PDT
    50K service probably talking about cam tensioner replacement... but $1,500!?!?! WOW! Yeah go get a second opinion!
  • May 29, 2012 10:35 AM PDT
    that's the going rate Black for cam tensioner replacement. My dyna lasted until 60,000 then I bought a gear driven cam, but 15000 at HD, a little less else where......."T"
  • May 29, 2012 1:10 PM PDT
    "T" & Black, I thank you for the response, while I am not against someone making an honest living, and even paying for their expertise when I don't know, the complete mis-diagnosis of my "leaking primary" had me cautious. I have found a local shop to do the 50k service for about 1/4th the cost of the dealership, granted I do oil and air filter myself. Sometimes in unfamiliar territory though, good to ask the opinion of the natives....
  • June 3, 2012 11:12 AM PDT
    $1400 is about right. The top end has to be pulled or adjustable push rods. New bearings, o rings, cam bolts...etcetera. Cam chain tensioners are only $65. But when you open the cam chest you find run out issues blah blah blah.

So...If you hear noise you need to look into it. Don't simply expect a tech to find it or you'll have metal in your motor.
  • June 3, 2012 11:28 AM PDT
    I do it for $700
  • June 3, 2012 11:30 AM PDT
    probably the BEST thing to do is get the upgraded plain bearing cam plate
    • 284 posts
    February 10, 2013 9:25 PM PST
    Warranty is just like Health Ins. If you go to a Doctor and pay cash you pay X amount. If they file a Insurance Claim for your visit the Insurance company sets the price at a less amount than if you pay cash. Same with Warranty.

You did not say they found, or informed you prior to the 50K service that there was anything wrong other than one leak which they fixed. They just said it would be $1100 Plus cost of parts needed "IF they found something"

So unless you get the 50K service, Which you state you did, your cruise would stop working, you got the service why did the Cruise stop working?

I do not see an issue. They told you Price, and If there were parts needed it would be more, Warranty covered it.

I would take it back and get the Cruise fixed for Free, the tech said if you did not have the Service work done the Cruise would stop working, you had the Service done there fore you Cruise should still work. Is the only issue I see.

No rip off or gouging your pocket, just normal business.
    • 611 posts
    March 28, 2014 9:56 AM PDT
    So, what's the latest on the 'cruise-control' and the cam issues? How has the bike been running and is it still a 'Great Bike'?
  • March 28, 2014 1:17 PM PDT
    If you have to change out the cam chain tensioners.....don't! Go to a gear drive! Harley never should have left that tech. behind..! Locate an Independent shop...hang around and form a relationship with them and support your local shops. Pick up a HD service manual for your bike and learn learn learn. Plenty of people are more than willing to help if you are willing to learn! Best to know how to fix something on the side of the road.... Oh yeah.. the best way to introduce yourself to a indy shop is show up with beer. They usually have a refrig in there somewhere!

Trippin