Hunter Thompson Writes First Book About Hell's Angels With

• 2 posts
    March 31, 2012 9:32 AM PDT
     Read it on the 1st publishing, thought he was an ass-h. jerk then, still do but RIP just the same
    • 1855 posts
    March 31, 2012 10:09 AM PDT
  • April 1, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
    Savage, if you read his whole body of work, he's not a jerk but America's no. 1 comedic, true writer!

Peace
    • 1855 posts
    April 1, 2012 4:00 AM PDT
    kirwing wrote...
    Savage, if you read his whole body of work, he's not a jerk but America's no. 1 comedic, true writer!

Peace

I've read him and yes, he's been a inspiration to other writers.  However, his writings walk a very thin line between what you say is "comedic" and true.  He uses fiction (half truths and lies) as a tool in which to build/bill his so-called documentary(s). True, not many folks would have the balls (read: insanity) to mingle with the HA just to write a book. In the end it was an exploitation of a culture to further validate him as a writer.  He exploits the realm between fiction and non-fiction. His book, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is indeed entertaining but also a prime example of his inability to live in or even examine the real world.  His mind was a fantasy-filled cacophony of 3-dimensional delusions. His suicide was the only real thing in his life.  So, I didn't like him not because he couldn't write but because he never left himself out of the story; writing in the 1st person as it were. Just my opinion as I know many feel/felt differently.

Peace