New Helmet Rating Scheme

• 2 posts
    January 31, 2012 11:09 AM PST
    Helmets are a big deal for me - If you don't want to wear one don't - but there is a new rating scheme out there that seems a marked improvement over what is currently used.

There were some suprises, Bell did really well & some of the real pricy ones so-so

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/01/rating-helmets-beyond-passfail/  />
    http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/  />
    Sadly a lot of the helmets that did well don't seem to be available in the US

Prices are in British Pounds 
    • 0 posts
    January 31, 2012 11:39 AM PST
    mate we have to wear helmets here..Alot of blokes complain that helmets have got "eggy" like high in the top..I dont give a shit it aint a fashion thing for me..I will be wearing my helmet when I ride over there later in the year.. CHEERS BOOF
  • February 1, 2012 1:04 AM PST
    Yeah same here BOOF, I've seen quite a few friends and other acquainted riders go down hard, some don't make it and others end up in hospital beds kicking themselves all because they want to look cool after the age of 40!
    I don't give two shits about what people think about my appearance, you don't like it, don't look! I want to keep my head nice and as protected as possible! Sure it may be one ugly head with and even uglier face attached to it, but it's MINE and I prefer to keep it safe!
  • February 1, 2012 2:08 AM PST
    Thanks for this info. I have been thinking about getting a full face helmet.
    • 1855 posts
    February 1, 2012 2:14 AM PST
    I sometimes ride with a helmet. It's not mandatory here in Ohio but I think there are times where wearing a helmet is better than not. I realize that wearing a helmet is a good thing all the time. And yep, I too don't care what people think about how I look in a helmet either.

Peace
  • February 1, 2012 6:48 AM PST
    As a baby biker in NJ had to wear a helmet and I had one of the novelty ones and never thought twice about it either. When the laws changed in PA a few years back well I had the move all down helmet off and in saddle bag before I even finished crossing the bridge. I moved to you decide state and well still wore the novelty helmet until it slide out from underneath my cargo net on the 7 mile bridge in the keys and a truck ran it over. I started wearing the 1/2 dot thing, just really didn't like it, but for some reason I tried a Nolan 103 and like it and will usually be seen wearing it. The chin lifts, and exposes the face, face shield up or down and even has sun glasses built in that can be down with the chin up, or face up or both down. I have found that even in the heat I was not nearly as hot as the sun isn't beating right on my face all day. Its a little warmer at times and well winter riding what can ya say, then it rains and no face stinging. I've got some friends over the years that have fallen, been hit, slide and on the face too and I can say folks it ain't pretty, Thank Goodness we can make choices for ourselves. have a great one "T"
  • February 1, 2012 3:00 PM PST
    BOOF I can just see you in your slick new helmet with Water Buffalo horns and some dead animal carcass hanging it from it!
    • 0 posts
    February 1, 2012 3:33 PM PST
    SOMETHING LIKE THIS BLACK OLD MATE? CHEERS BOOF

• 601 posts
    February 3, 2012 10:41 AM PST
    Its law here in Ireland..I wear a Davida Speedster,

• February 3, 2012 2:13 PM PST
    BOOF my friend we WILL have a good time I'm sure!
    • 0 posts
    February 3, 2012 5:02 PM PST
    Sure as shit will Black old mate..Crazy people aint afraid of anything...CHEERS BOOF
    • 0 posts
    February 3, 2012 7:34 PM PST
    This is the way we roll down here mate