I'm not handling this well......

• January 27, 2012 10:53 PM PST
    Oldest daughter got her drivers permit this week. She insists I need to take her out driving today, but dad is scared to death. Problem is I'm not sure if it's because she will be behind the wheel, or if it's because my little girl is growing up too fast.......
    • 19034 posts
    January 27, 2012 11:29 PM PST
    Go with it! It may be a bit scary but take it from one who taught three daughters and two sons how to drive. In the end it can be very rewarding. They each had to pass my test (including changing a flat tire) before they took the state exam. At first they groaned and complained a bit and later they have all thanked me for teaching them the right way.
    • 9 posts
    January 28, 2012 12:00 AM PST
    I feel ya on this. I've put off teaching my son, (he's twenty--and we didn't have a car), but now, he's asking to learn.
    Do you remember the commercial where the kid is messin' with all the knobs and the dad tells the kid to get out....and shut the door? That's kinda the way it feels. You want them to learn and have their freedom, but sometimes, they don't "seem" ready. This too, shall pass. Much like potty-training, they will learn, and it's better if they learn the "right way" from us. At least...I'd like to think it's the right way...lol.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1855 posts
    January 28, 2012 12:27 AM PST
    Tweek, He's 20? certainly you don't have a 20 year old son.

Peace
    • 1780 posts
    January 28, 2012 12:35 AM PST
    Don't forget to leave her cell phone at home... If it rings she will want to answer it... Then you have a whole new set of problems!!!
  • January 28, 2012 1:53 AM PST
    I taught 5 girls and so far 2 sons to Drive. Taught 5 out of 7 daughter and both sons to ride. 3 of the girls are A.T.G.A.T.T. kids. 1 daughter no longer rides. The other Daughter is like myself along with the 2 boys Freedom of choice. Wear what the law requires.
    3rd oldest during the training time as a cager decied to pull a U-Turn in frount of a 1 ton chevy truck. GEO Metro Vs Chevy not a good mix.
    • 2 posts
    January 28, 2012 2:14 AM PST
    Be afraid, be very, very afraid.

Truth - From infancy son was (& is) the most responsible person on the planet, carefully studying & plotting out each move.
    Started out having him operate lawn equipment, then letting him use grandfather's tractor, then, starting about age 14, having him drive about the empty school parking lot. - The kid was perfection.
    Gets a perfect score on written test for learners permit. - Issued permit & I feel great
    The next day, the very next day, the 1st time he is legally behind the wheel he wants to drive to school. - Great - I jump in passenger seat & completely relax, my responsible son is driving, what's to worry about?
    Kid starts car & puts it in drive - Unfortunately we were IN FRONT OF the garage door & he has to back out of the driveway. - Kid drives thru the garage door.

Be afraid, be very, very afraid.
  • January 28, 2012 3:34 AM PST
    Gee thanks Savage!!! Well I survived the firs trip, and so did the car!! To be honest she did very well. I'm starting to think she's a lot more ready for this than I am. She was on her first go cart at the age of 4 and has had four wheelers and dirt bikes ever since. So maybe it's not her I'm most concerned about, It's all the other idiots she's gonna have to share the road with. It's hard to explain to a young lady that almost everyone on the road is trying to kill you and your job is not to let them!!
    • 1516 posts
    January 28, 2012 3:39 AM PST
    I am right there with you guys and Savage yeah you are right, be afraid.. I am now teaching or helping to teach my sons girlfriend.. I thought I was done for a while when my son finally mastered driving.. but noooooo. This growing up thing is not right either, how did all those years go by? They are supposed to still be my babies..
  • January 28, 2012 3:58 AM PST
    Well POWMIA just wait till your driving and your phone rings. She'll tell you to get off the phone and keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

She'll do just fine as long as you keep calm.
    • 16825 posts
    January 28, 2012 4:35 AM PST
    We never had any kids ourselves but we raised a nephew.
    Half the kids around here called me Uncle John.
    And it seemed Uncle John was the go to guy to teach them how to "drive stick".
    At work I got a lot of men and a few women ready to take their CDL.
    I'll take a kid anytime over a grown-up.
    • 9 posts
    January 28, 2012 8:23 AM PST
    Awwwweee Jimmy, yer sweet. Oh yeah, I got me a twenty-year old. And I earned every grey hair...oh, that's right, I had the "make-over" and ya'll didn't really see how grey I was. Before the hair-do-over, when the sun hit it, it was enough to make ya grab yer sunglasses...lmao. But I really can't blame all that on the kid. He's awesome. Doesn't do any of the stuff most parents are scared witless about. (My previous life-style was a big deterrent!!!)
    Now, as to the driving lessons...I'm looking up driving schools on the internet. I just don't know if I can "handle"
    being the one to teach him. I'm too much of a control-freak. That's why I couldn't ride behind my ole man, after we had a left-turn collision. After that...I needed to be my own captain. And it's hard to teach anyone anything, if
    you're trying to control something, that you really can't control. At least, for me it is.
    So I'll prolly pay someone else to do it. Better for both us, methinks...
    As for you and your girl, it'll all work out fine. And I'll say a lil' prayer for both of you. K?

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • January 28, 2012 8:53 AM PST
    My now 29 yr old daughter was/is very responsible, always mature for her age, worked through high school and college, so I was not surprised that she was prepared and determined to have her driver's license the DAY she turned 16 ........ she took the course on HER 16TH BIRTHDAY, passed with flying colors!! But she always asked me, not her dad, to teach her to drive. She couldn't handle her over anxious father who had sore calf and leg muscles for days (on his pretend brakes on passenger side) after only 1 'driving lesson'; white knuckled dad who about had a heart attack!! haha!! Same with my now 24 yr old son ........... anyway, they are doing fine with automatic vehicles, wish they learn how to drive a manual (so they can drive about any vehicle), those cars are so much more fun to drive, haha!
    YES, totally agree with 'no texting while driving' ........
    GOOD LUCK!
    • 1161 posts
    January 28, 2012 9:58 PM PST
    My dad took me out to an old abandoned emergency landing strip on Fort Rucker, AL. And drive from one end to the other then when I was comfortable we did the skidding test ( in the grass next to the runway) so I could learn how to keep it under control and be safe.

When I took my exwifes boys out to drive I found an old abandend houseing area and we did the same things my dad and I did. But it gives you and them more confidence. It was a blast looking back at it all knowing it will continue in that fashion.
  • January 29, 2012 2:03 AM PST
    Started my three kids out driving in a school parking lot before they ever hit the road. Really helped with learning to park, no one else around. When my dad was teaching me he wanted to teach me to handle driving on ice. Took me out on a frozen lake driving a stick shift. That was the best lesson I ever had in throttle control and braking (before ABS and traction control!)
  • January 29, 2012 2:20 AM PST
    I ended up hiring someone to teach both my girls....just couldn't do it. Good luck.
  • January 29, 2012 3:11 AM PST
    Wondering if statisically women are better drivers than men? They seem to be better at multi-tasking...Jus sayin!
  • January 29, 2012 3:41 AM PST
    POWMIA wrote...
    Gee thanks Savage!!! Well I survived the firs trip, and so did the car!! To be honest she did very well. I'm starting to think she's a lot more ready for this than I am. She was on her first go cart at the age of 4 and has had four wheelers and dirt bikes ever since. So maybe it's not her I'm most concerned about, It's all the other idiots she's gonna have to share the road with. It's hard to explain to a young lady that almost everyone on the road is trying to kill you and your job is not to let them!!

I probably wear a helmet less than 50% of the time, but when I am driving a car, I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt. It wasn't always that way, but has been since I had parts of my face sewed back on my senior year in high school. Your daughter may feel young and invincible, as did I ... actually, I still do. I do not fear accidents whether in my car or on my bike for what might happen to me, my worst fear is seeing the faces of my parents when I am all banged up. Make sure your daughter knows how much you love her just as she is, and that is why you want her to make choices for herself which will keep her safe. Seatbelts CAN prevent a nasty faceplant to a steering wheel!

You can also give her the same guidance I give to every new motorcycle rider: Assume that half the people on the road with you do not see you, and the other half want you dead!

• January 29, 2012 3:51 AM PST
    I was the one who taught my kids and my friends kids. The trick is to relax and have enough confidence in the new driver that they feel empowered. We all have to learn, think about the ones who taught you and adopt the best traits of them! Enjoy having a chauffeur for a year!!!!!
  • January 29, 2012 4:06 AM PST
    Some great stories here, especially Savage's LOL That will be something to tell your grandchildren!!

I am with Flower though, I couldn't teach my daughter. There wasn't enough xanax on earth for that !! I sent her to driving school and my best friend took her to practice and get her license.
  • January 29, 2012 4:10 AM PST
    I started mine in parking lots & took it from there.You will get thru it. Patience & good looking out works well. Good luck.
    • 1855 posts
    January 29, 2012 5:54 AM PST
    My daughter stopped the car, got out, and walked home. Mmmmmmmm, probably meant I was more impatient than I should've been, eh?!

Peace
  • January 29, 2012 6:39 AM PST
    POWMIA interesting...my son can get his learners this week. We went to the High School lot early this A.M. Had a blast! Yeah that's my boy! Good luck!