Need a Garage Mechanic's advice...

• 9 posts
    December 23, 2011 2:11 AM PST
    Hey ya'll...

I'm driving a Mercury Villager passenger Van, (not sure of the year, somewhere around '96-98 methinks).  Anyways, yesterday, after taking a U-turn
    (not a hard one mind you)  the front end started shimmying pretty good.  Around 35 miles an hour, it goes crazy, then mellows out.  But if you go above 45, it starts shimmying hard....any HELP would be appreciated.  I'm jacking it up as we speak, and checking for a loose wheel, but I don't think
    I could get THAT lucky....

HELLLLLP!  Got so much to do, but don't want to take any unnecessary risks.....

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 844 posts
    December 23, 2011 2:31 AM PST
    Tweek, Was it shimmying at all before the u-turn?

Is it a front wheel drive?
    • 844 posts
    December 23, 2011 7:48 AM PST
    Got your message. I would most likely suspect tie rod ends or the tires.

And since it's a front wheel drive it could maybe, but very unlikely be the CV joints.

It's really hard to say without seeing it.

Did you notice anything obviously out of the norm when you looked under it?
    • 9 posts
    December 23, 2011 10:03 AM PST
    Nothing looked apparent on inspection, and I had it on jack-stands. I am leaning toward the tie rods, but you're right, it could be the cv joints. I'll have to wait til the middle of next week to deal with it, will it hurt it too much more to drive on it like this, or should I not risk it. Don't want to spend more than I'll have too....?

Ride Free...(til it breaks...lol)
    Tweek
  • December 23, 2011 12:52 PM PST
    Please be safe if you do drive it tweek dont want u to end up in the weeds or worse
    • 9 posts
    December 23, 2011 9:16 PM PST
    percy wrote...
    Please be safe if you do drive it tweek dont want u to end up in the weeds or worse

Thanks, Percy.  I really don't wanna end up in the weeds, neither...lol!  Unfortunately, I have to drive it, or inconvenience a bunch of people.  It's a straight shot, where I'm going today, and I won't be doing any "night" driving, so I'm asking God to watch over us for this trip.  8 miles there, and 8 back.   Thanks All who responded, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Ride Free

Tweek

• 2072 posts
    December 23, 2011 11:31 PM PST
    I would also check the idler arm bushings Tweek
    • 1516 posts
    December 24, 2011 2:57 AM PST
    Well Richard says.. Ball joints or Brick rotar or the tire could be coming apart. Have the tires checked first. He is pretty good with mechanics. He suggests starting with the easiest thing... the tires being checked.
    • 9 posts
    December 24, 2011 6:50 AM PST
    Hey Guys!!! Guess who owns the van in question??? ME! It was my Christmas Present from my "HOMIES"!!!
    They have blessed me in SO MANY WAYS, and NOW THIS! They have also told me, they will pay for the repairs,
    because this was my present all along....WOW! My GOD is an AWESOME GOD!!!

We are all in agreement, more or less, that it's prolly the CV joints or tie-rod ends. The vehicle has over 130K miles on it, so wear and tear, ain't outta the question, here. We'll have to see, next week.

THANKS TO ALL, your responses were very helpful. I know who I'll come to for any mechanical questions!!!

YOU ROCK...CYCLEFISH'RS!
    Have a wonderful Christmas Eve, and I'll be poppin' in sometime after Santa, for Christmas!

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 658 posts
    December 24, 2011 9:14 AM PST
    Merry Christmas Tweek! You are a truly blessed woman.
    • 1516 posts
    December 24, 2011 9:39 AM PST
    just check the tires first..
  • December 24, 2011 12:28 PM PST
    I agree, sounds like a belt broke in the tire while you were in the turn. If you hadn't noticed anything before usually it's not worn parts. You usually start getting slight occurrences of the vibration before it is continuance. If driving straight down the road at a slow 10-20 mph and you feel it bad then it is probably a tire problem.