Diabetes

• 1855 posts
    December 3, 2011 12:34 AM PST
    Well, after being diagnosed in 2002 with Type II diabetes it has progressed to the point of my having to go on insulin.  Between then and now I was taking pills; 2,000 mg of glucophage and 30 mg of glypizied a day.  Now it's the pills and 10 units of insulin; a small dose to start off and evaluate what I'll really need.

I was worried about going on insulin because of my lifestyle; travelling on my ride.  You know you hear stories about having to keep that sheite refrigerated and that would really put a damper on my ability to be on the road.  But as iit turns out; one shot a day and it doesn't have to be refrigerated.  Very cool that way, eh!? 

Just thought I'd offer what I know about type II diabetes to any biker out there who may be wondering what life might/is/could be like. 

Peace
    • 395 posts
    December 3, 2011 12:48 AM PST
    my son has type 1..and he gets shots after every meal....you will get used to it. the insulin needs to be refrigerated until you start to use it...then you can keep it out and carry it with you...type 2 is not as time consuming with the checking of the sugar and all.....but if you keep a closer eye on what you eat and pay attention to the signs that your sugar is too low you will be fine......since you have had it for a while..you already know....don't let it slow you down!!!
    • 2 posts
    December 3, 2011 1:20 AM PST
    Something I know I have seen but am too old to remember where I saw it was a 6 pack cooler that plugs into a standard 12V, automotive socket.

Take a look around & if you find it post the information here.

Somebody pretty precious to me has to keep her injectable medicine near her at all times and the medicine must be kept cool. - Not a problem on auto trips, it comes in a bulky Styrofoam container with pockets for freezer packs but not practical on a motorcycle
  • December 3, 2011 1:25 AM PST
    I have had Tpye II going on 6 years now. haven't let it slow me down, I'm like you taking 2000 mg of glucophage a day, trying to stay away from insulin as long as possible. On top of that I also have Hypothiroidism (over active Thyroid) puts the immune system into high drive and tires a person out. Have had that going on 10 years now. Have learned that through watching my diet, meds and exersise (yes going to a gym 3 thimes a week) I am able to keep things pretty level. The only thing I need to watch is when we are out riding is to rememer to eat at regular intervals. I am also blessed with a great signifigant other that helps me remember to slow down and take care of myself.
    • 1780 posts
    December 3, 2011 2:37 AM PST
    Seems the one thing everyone has in common is keep on keeping on, and live life to it's fullest. I admire you all for your drive.
    Be safe out there
    Dragon
    • 16831 posts
    December 3, 2011 3:51 AM PST
    I'm on the pills, my wife has been on the shots for the better part of 30 years.
    She has a small padded / insulated case with a cooling tray made specifically for transporting insulin she keeps in the refrigerator until needed.
    Most insulin is of a organic nature, and retains it's shelf life best if kept cool.
    • 2 posts
    December 3, 2011 8:37 AM PST
    Quick check finds the following coolers that run on 12V

http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-14-Quart-Soft-Sided-Electric-Travel/dp/B000Q73A1S/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1322944092&sr=8-21 />
    http://www.amazon.com/Rally-7285-Portable-Refrigerator-Warmer/dp/B002FJTG0E/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1322944052&sr=8-14 />
    http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/d13-portable-kooler.html />
    Might test fly them in a car before depending on them when aiming for the outer limits
    All are bigger than I would like to put on any of the rides I have had - Swear that saw a 6 pack size one someplace.
    • 1855 posts
    December 4, 2011 3:45 AM PST
    Actually I feel very fortunate for a number of reasons.
    Not having to worry about keeping the stuff on ice (so to speak) means I can continue to enjoy the ride without worrying about the insulin.
    My Veteran's disability percentage rating is up there to where I don't have to pay for any medications and I know this stuff must cost a fortune to others.
    I may ache a bit, I can still swing my leg over the saddle.

And the one thing that amazes me and I'm truly grateful for is; after all I went through in Nam the VA is taking pretty good care of me and the disability $$$ means I was able to retire and enjoy what years I have left on God's green earth. So whooda thunk at 19-20 years old the government would actually express concern for your well being at 63 years of age?
    Support for the military and the Veterans in this country is phenomenal and I for one thank all of you for that. Sometimes the VA drops the ball, so it's a collection of voices and persistence by American Patriots that helps get things done.

Peace