Working Our Way Home From Sturgis

• 5420 posts
    August 13, 2010 2:30 PM PDT
    Well we are finally on the road home.  Sturgis was better than ever because we probably met 45 CycleFish members.  I promise to get some details and pictures up real soon.

Right now I am a little frustrated because I am having bike problems and spending the night in a small town in Nebraska.  Nearest dealer is a few hundred miles, and the nearest town I can even find an independant shop is a couple hundred miles.

Please read my garage post on the problem and let me know if you have any suggestions...
    http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson/SUPER-HIGH-IDLE---HELP-59939-1.html style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128);">
    • 2072 posts
    August 14, 2010 2:44 AM PDT
    Lucky, Sure wish I knew more about Harleys and could help ya out..... Hope you find the problem and get back on the road. You guys have a safe trip home. Looking forward to pictures !!!!!!
    • 19040 posts
    August 14, 2010 10:41 AM PDT
    Got a text msg from Lucky, all is well. It was an idle screw that backed out. On the road again....
    • 5420 posts
    August 14, 2010 1:51 PM PDT
    Yep, put some miles on today. Even with the stop at the dealer we made it from Aliance, NE into WY, all the way through CO and now in Raton, NM for the night. Gonna go over and see the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

Laura said to tell everyone HI!
  • August 14, 2010 1:53 PM PDT
    So glad to hear all is well! Hope you have a great time and hello back to Laura!!
    • 1066 posts
    August 14, 2010 4:32 PM PDT
    Hi guys, glad you're back in the groove, and headed home. Good Luck
    • 2072 posts
    August 14, 2010 4:54 PM PDT
    Lucky.... Sure glad to hear it was something minor.... Enjoy the Grand Canyon and ride safe !!!!!
  • August 15, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
    Glad to hear all is well with your bike Lucky! We figured out what was wrong with mine too that kept making it stall. Made it home safely last night. Pics to follow:-) Miss all of you guys!
    • 19040 posts
    August 15, 2010 9:33 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Yep, put some miles on today. Even with the stop at the dealer we made it from Aliance, NE into WY, all the way through CO and now in Raton, NM for the night. Gonna go over and see the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

Laura said to tell everyone HI!

That Ratone Pass is beautiful. God I wish I was there...

Such a nice place even has a song written about it...

• 5420 posts
    August 15, 2010 1:36 PM PDT
    Malissa, We are missing you guys and the entire group too....

Ok everyone here is a tip...Even if your wife wants to check off Nebraska, and New Mexico as other states visited, do NOT take the route I am taking home from Sturgis (SD->NE->WY->CO->NM->AZ->CA).  We are now almost 1500 miles into our trip home and still 400+ from home.  Getting there was only 1400 miles.  Today we rode 600+ across New Mexico, and Arizona - which probably have comfortable weather at times, but not the middle of August, that's for damn sure.  Between the 100+ temps and strong winds, my face looks like the sole of a worn out boot.

But even with the weather, we are having a great time.  It has been a long time since just the two of us rode together on a trip like this.  We are in Williams, AZ and going out for a nice steak dinner!!!

Here's a picture from earlier today.  Rest of the pics will be in my albums tomorrow...
  • August 15, 2010 1:38 PM PDT
    your having fun together, that is all that matters!
  • August 15, 2010 1:44 PM PDT
    Don't forget the sun block!!!!! Have fun you guys! Looking foward to seeing more photos
  • August 15, 2010 1:56 PM PDT
    Glad to hear all is going well, was a minor thing on the bike (YAY!) and you two are having fun! Ride safe and enjoy the Grand Canyon!
    • 1516 posts
    August 15, 2010 3:35 PM PDT
    We just made it home Lucky! Had a great time with everyone and I am just glad we made it home finally. I look pretty much like a raccoon. I will post some pics tomorrow.
    It was great to meet so many wonderful people.
    Cyclefish friends are the very best!
    • 5420 posts
    August 15, 2010 3:37 PM PDT
    Thanks all.  We just got back from a great steak dinner here in Williams.  First real meal in two weeks..We have had nothing but fast food on the road and rally food.  Almost forgot what a vegetable tasted like.

One more wake up and we are on the final leg to home!!!!!
    • 352 posts
    August 16, 2010 12:46 AM PDT
    sounds like a helluva good trip there

ride safe
  • August 16, 2010 7:48 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky, i remembered you overheating downtown sturgis, u had to park it. hope all is well. I gotta tell ya, you, your wife, and everybody gave me lasting memories. U guys can party! I made a straight shot 15 and a half hours back to milw. yesterday! thanks again! mike.
    • 1516 posts
    August 16, 2010 8:04 AM PDT
    It was great to meet you Mike from Milwaukee!
    • 5420 posts
    August 16, 2010 12:00 PM PDT
    WE MADE IT!!!  We are home safe after another long day running from Williams, AZ all the way here.  Even though it was our shortest day at 400 miles, the last stretch home always seems the longest...especially if you have to cross the Mojave Desert on the way!

I am going to spend an hour or so in the pool, then I will upload all the pictures from our ride and the rally.  What a GREAT time with some really GREAT people!!!
    • 2072 posts
    August 16, 2010 12:16 PM PDT
    Good to hear you made it home safe !!!! This place just wouldn't be without you and Laura !!!!!!
  • August 16, 2010 12:37 PM PDT
    Glad you two are home safe! Sounds like quite a trip.
    Mike, it sure was great meeting you too. You are a good guy:-)
    • 6 posts
    August 16, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
    Sounds like an amazing ride! Can't wait to see all your pics! Wish Gina and I were there!
    • 212 posts
    August 16, 2010 1:46 PM PDT
    Glad everyone had a great time and all made it home safely.
    • 5420 posts
    August 16, 2010 3:01 PM PDT
    I tried, but I just can't upload the pics tonight. Got them from the camera to the computer and I am falling asleep at the keyboard. I will post tomorrow.
  • August 17, 2010 11:27 AM PDT
    the heat wind and shit roads in northern NM were miserable in june too Lucky- good to hear yall gettin her done though!!
    all the little things---- just making memories!! enjoy brother
    respects
    dave