Need Help With my 1985 Evo

• April 6, 2012 5:08 AM PDT
    I agree with torque specs wholeheartedly, just didn't really like the book none.
  • April 6, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
    StBobber wrote...
    bofahs wrote...
    Robert Pirsig, in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" talks a lot about "mechanics feel". How, basically, you "just know" when it's right. What he does not mention is the busted parts and busted knuckles that come with the gaining of that knowledge. So, for me, 60 ft/lb is a good "grunt". 150 is a double-grunt, and 25 inch-pounds is right about t-h-e-r-e......

In the intro to that book Pirsing refers to the relationship between his title and Zen and the Art of Archery- In its introduction, Pirsig explains that, despite its title, "it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Also, the term, "mechanics feel" is used when fitting parts and precise measurements. It's an outdated term when talking about torquing modern technology. In the past, manufacturers did not have torque specs because fitment was not as percise as it is today. So, if you are wrenching a '55 Hydra-Glide you are going to be forced to use "mechanic's feel" on fasteners and hope for the best but, if the manufacturer has provided you with specs the best way to save expense and headaches is to use them. 

As is the case with the Pan Manual... most people have to remember that most stuff built is as you say, far more precise and not to mention we now have oils that are formulated exclusively for air cooled motorcycles, we no longer use flat bladed screw (Wanna see a true matching number classic Harley, yeah they have flat bladed screw EVERYWHERE! I don't imagine they had torque specs in mind when those were used)

It's just me, I didn't like the book, he's overly critical about things that I happen to enjoy. Yes I jam out to Iron Maiden when I wrench! :0)
    • 2 posts
    April 6, 2012 10:24 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    Yes I jam out to Iron Maiden when I wrench! :0)
    • 611 posts
    April 6, 2012 6:49 PM PDT
    Hey Thanx to everyone that posted. Got the wrench, made in USA! Used it, worked flawlessly and then retorked with it... beautiful! I'm up and riding... oh, nevermind. Broken clutch cable.... Oh well! Joys of owning a machine with a soul....
    Edge'Grounded'Walker