Lucky, my son wants to know....

• 9 posts
    April 3, 2011 7:44 AM PDT

And I do too.  How many members does cyclefish have ATM?  I think he wants to know the male/female ratio. While I don't think we need that particular break-down, I was curious to know, how many of us there are. I recommend the site to all of my biker friends, and even to some that just "wannabe". (Someone has to let them know what they're in for, LMFAO!)  Education of the genre' just helps all of us out in the long run, yes?  Like the old saying, "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"?  While very true, it doesn't stop 'em from asking.....Ride Free    Tweek

• 5420 posts
    April 3, 2011 8:31 AM PDT
    We have just over 14,000 members

65% Male - 25% Female - 3% Registered as Couple - and the rest didn't state their gender.

Interesting since all of the reports I get indicate women riders to make up just under 10% of riders in the US.

You can see the current numbers any time by going to Uses and selecting just Gender in the search criteria on the left.
    • 5420 posts
    April 3, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
    Looking into it a little deeper, our number of women who ride is closer to the national stats. Of all members who indicated "I Ride My Own" about 8% are women.
    • 9 posts
    April 3, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
    Awesome, thanks. I was curious, now I'm informed. I like to know what I'm talking about, before I start "runnin' my mouth! I wish the number of women riders were a little more equal, but hell, you guys had like 90 years on us in that respect. I mean, I've heard of some pioneer women, starting back in the 40's and 50's, but that was because all the men were off fighting wars and such. They had to wear the "pants", and I guess they figured, why not try it all? Had I been born of that era, I damn sure would've been ridin' then too!!! RIDE FREE
    Tweek
    • 1364 posts
    April 3, 2011 12:25 PM PDT
    Great job on the stats Lucky
    • 2 posts
    April 3, 2011 1:42 PM PDT
    It's interesting. The stats for Cyclefish mimics national stats. It's been my experience that the number of women riders in areas with year-round riding weather seem to explode. In my neck of the woods women are a very small percentage of riders but, in other areas (Florida, Arizona) where the weather is nicer there seems to be a much larger number. Of course, there tends to be a lot more bikers in those areas to begin with so, the stats may very well be similar.
    • 19040 posts
    April 4, 2011 1:31 AM PDT
    14,000, WOW! That is great, and I remember when it was just a couple hundred...
  • April 4, 2011 6:37 AM PDT
    We know CF stats come from the site. But where do the other reports come from? I am guessing it's a database generated by the DMV. Which makes me think, my husband and I own 6 motorcycles. All of them are registered under his name. So are men getting the credit here? On the contrary, I have an M1 endorsement, so maybe that helps the ladies out a little. I have decided from now on, to register any new bikes in my name. The more lady riders added to the stats would hopefully bring awareness to manufacturers in the motorcycle industry that, yeah we ride too. Therefore, more bikes to be manufactured to fit "us" ladies and better fitting motorcycle gear. I'm sick of being limited on bikes and gear to choose from.

As for what StBobber said, I agree, weather plays a huge role. But at the same time it is not uncommon to see many women motorcyclists in Alaska or Canada. Go figure?
  • April 6, 2011 7:28 AM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    Awesome, thanks. ..., I've heard of some pioneer women, starting back in the 40's and 50's, but that was because all the men were off fighting wars and such. They had to wear the "pants", and I guess they figured, why not try it all? Had I been born of that era, I damn sure would've been ridin' then too!!! RIDE FREE
    Tweek

I kind of think that the advent of electric start and fuel injection has as much to do with more female riders than any thing else.  My right leg still hurts from having to kick start the 500 single BSA (in 1974)

• April 8, 2011 12:31 PM PDT
    I am workin on getting a few of my female friends to get endorsements and ride plus Mal is good at getting ladies fired up to join in.
    • 580 posts
    April 15, 2011 10:56 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    We have just over 14,000 members

65% Male - 25% Female - 3% Registered as Couple - and the rest didn't state their gender.

Interesting since all of the reports I get indicate women riders to make up just under 10% of riders in the US.

You can see the current numbers any time by going to Uses and selecting just Gender in the search criteria on the left.

Not forgetting us women riders over here in England too Lucky LOL - think we make around 12% of UK riders  now -  (o:

• 5420 posts
    April 15, 2011 11:13 AM PDT
    Pat, I would never forget our friends over there, The Cf numbers include all riders world-wide, however the averages I quoted are for the US only.

Glad to here there are lots of women getting out and riding in England!!!
    • 5420 posts
    April 15, 2011 11:20 AM PDT
    Wrapter wrote...
    We know CF stats come from the site. But where do the other reports come from? I am guessing it's a database generated by the DMV. Which makes me think, my husband and I own 6 motorcycles. All of them are registered under his name. So are men getting the credit here? On the contrary, I have an M1 endorsement, so maybe that helps the ladies out a little. I have decided from now on, to register any new bikes in my name. The more lady riders added to the stats would hopefully bring awareness to manufacturers in the motorcycle industry that, yeah we ride too. Therefore, more bikes to be manufactured to fit "us" ladies and better fitting motorcycle gear. I'm sick of being limited on bikes and gear to choose from.

As for what StBobber said, I agree, weather plays a huge role. But at the same time it is not uncommon to see many women motorcyclists in Alaska or Canada. Go figure?

Andrea, the national avereages I stated came from an average of registered motorcycle owners as well as date from the us insurance industry.  The registered motorcycles did show a bit higher for males.

And more than anything I think it was the invention of the Wrapter that led more women to ride.  Once women had a convenient, stylish and affordable way to keep their hair in place... they were on their way.

Yes that was a plug for our good friend Andrea and her Wrapters, and yes I know I probably broke one or two rules of the forum psoting it!

• 1780 posts
    April 18, 2011 6:44 AM PDT
    14,000 members......this is what makes this site great ......the cool people.....14,000 WOW !!!!