Need your input on saddle problem!!!

• August 16, 2010 2:12 PM PDT
    Hey Gang ~

here's the deal... changed out stock seat for Sundowner about 6,000+ miles ago. Suffered 'hip cramping' when I put my legs down at a stop as the seat is too wide for my thigh area. Got it because the stock one was a piece for the girls riding on back. Now, over the last 4 - 5 months, I have developed this problem of starting out straight up, but after a while am shifted to the right with a noticable bike lean to the left! I have put on new tires and a True-Track system, but my wife followed me and said I became 'tilted' ~ That and I used to ride 150 + miles with no problem (come on guys ~ it's a cruiser, not a touring rig ;-) Now, 30 + mile and I feel like I've had the crap beat out of me!

So ~ would welcome any and all input. Love the bike, but it's not going to work out if I can't find a solution... just seems weird this sorta 'came on' a short time ago...

Coop 

• August 16, 2010 2:31 PM PDT
    do you have lower back problems? one leg shorter than the other type stuff?
  • August 16, 2010 2:32 PM PDT
    did all this start AFTER you installed the true track?
    • 19052 posts
    August 16, 2010 3:28 PM PDT
    This is gonna sound weird but is your wallet fat? It can make you sub-consciously shift to one side. And have you hurt your back recently? I had a similar problem but only when driving my cage.

Also if this developed when you put the seat on then look there.

• 1066 posts
    August 16, 2010 3:30 PM PDT
    Did this start after you put the Sundowner seat on? Greg I've got a 2003 Dyna Low, with a Sundowner on it. I don't have any problems like you describe on yours. I do have the same problem as you, with it being toooo wide in the front of the seat.
  • August 17, 2010 5:05 AM PDT
    Hey guys ~ thanks for your inputs! I injured my back back in the early 2000s ~ but that hasn't been an issue to date (other than getting tired and sore). Tried with and without wallet ~ no difference. This started happening this late spring, so I got new tires and then installed the True Track. I start out straight up, but as I ride, I shift to the right (?). Like I said earlier, I didn't have the problem with this combo earlier except for the seat width in the front, and I noticed the seat moves a bit in the front slot (not a lot). Was looking at maybe a Mustang with a backrest or a Saddlemen with a Backrest. This has got me baffled and a little upset ~ lots of money without improvement. Maybe I need to be fitted with a custom seat... but she's really gotten to be a handful to ride. Or it's me just getting old... :-(
  • August 17, 2010 5:14 AM PDT
    did it push you forward any? i put on a sundowner deep "v" recently and i find myself sitting a little crooked every now and then because the distance to the controls has changed. had to relearn to ride again.
  • August 17, 2010 6:07 AM PDT
    It didn't seem to push me forward Derek ~ it actually leaves quite a space between my back and seat causing me to slouch after a while. I do know I'm getting spinal compression as I ride. Start out looking over the top of the w/s, then looking through it. Just not as tall as you guys... ha ha!
  • August 17, 2010 6:17 AM PDT
    Here are two alternatives I'm considering ~ they were rated very high, with the Mustang edging out the Saddlemen on a long run. I just worry about it being too wide like the Sundowner is in the nose area. Looks like the Saddlemen would provide better lower back support. Comments or experience with either of these seats?

• August 17, 2010 8:30 AM PDT
    I may be the wrong one to comment. 6'4" and 33' inseam. 05 Suzuki C90, 26.5" seat height. Installed the Mustang Wide Vintage with Backrest and passenger cushion and wide Backrest. 600 mile days are comfortable. and wife enjoys extra width seat and back. Front backrest is adjustable (height and foward location) and removeable. I believe it is the best spent money for us.
    • 0 posts
    August 17, 2010 9:17 AM PDT
    If the Sundowner is too wide, and you are going to replace it anyway, pull the cover and trim the foam to fit you. You might not have to replace it.
    • 19052 posts
    August 17, 2010 9:33 AM PDT
    Rex sports the Mustang seat which is definitely narrowed in the front. The width of the stock seat was a problem for me and the seat was one of the first changes I made. Two thumbs up for the Mustang.
    • 352 posts
    August 17, 2010 9:43 AM PDT
    I have a Mustang seat on my '03 Softail - it's a great seat for sure.

I do however have one slight problem, at 6-1 with a 33" inseam, I am still to close the the forward controls, I'm actually thinking of checking out one of the seats that moves you back 2" to gain a little leg room. I know it raises you up a bit but I should not have a problem with that. Just need to find a decent one that is as comfortable as the Mustang.
  • August 17, 2010 10:33 AM PDT
    Interesting ~ I on the other hand have kind of a reverse problem all you tall fellers have... I have a longer torso and 29" / 30" inseam. But it seems that the Mustang is getting all the points. From the articles I read, they pointed to the Mustangs as the seats for the long rides. One liked the Saddlemen for around town, but I don't just cruise the strip ~ I like to get out and cover some territory and enjoy the scenery! I like the idea of the back rest being able to adjust fore and aft as well. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences ~ it really is helpful! Would like to hear more ;-)
    Coop
    • 19052 posts
    August 17, 2010 11:11 AM PDT
    Adding a bit more. The Mustang (with back rest) I ride on is definitely an ALL DAY seat. I have ridden many times, probably well into the hundreds of times, all day and seat comfort was never an issue. In fact mine now has a tear at the seam and I am going to either have it repaired (hear that Sky?) or replace it with the same seat. Rex has over 60K and all but a couple hundred miles were with my fat butt on the Mustang.
    • 6 posts
    August 17, 2010 12:36 PM PDT
    NOT speaking from experience, but having read many reviews, not just here, and checking out their line, I'd go with the mustang, too. Just me. it really looks more comfortable, and there's thousands of people that agree! Not sure what kinda luck I'd have putting a better seat on my 30 year old Honda. Might have to do some modifying to make something like that work. Stock seat isn't bad, so I'll probably wait myself for now. That's the nice thing about having a newer bike, you've got a lot of options that just slide right on.
  • August 17, 2010 3:07 PM PDT
    I can't speak from what the bike was before I bought it - but I love my Mustang seat on my Shadow. Rode a lot of old UJMs with stock seats, KZ900s and 1000s. After the first 100 miles had paralyzed my perineum - not on the Mustang seat. Sure like the fella that bought the seat.
  • August 17, 2010 5:39 PM PDT
    WOW! You guys are great! Now ~ since you're 'twisting my arm' on a Mustang ~ heh heh ~ is the Wide Vintage narrow as a stock seat in the nose? Like Hollywood said ~ the Sundowner is tooo wide in the nose ~ I feel like it would like to take a chunk out of my left thigh! Sorry for all the questions, but I can't put my finger on what's happened this summer! Won't be riding tomorrow as my back is killing me. You guys bring the rack to straighten me out, a 'rack' to get Pearl all aligned... and I'll buy the beer ~ this could be an expensive proposition! HA HA HA! Thanks Guys! Oh ~ BTW... with or without studs and conchos? You've seen the ride... ;-)
    Coop
  • August 17, 2010 11:28 PM PDT
    " With " but my luggage is studded and conchoed also and the dressing is not on the seat contact area (skirted)
    • 1066 posts
    August 18, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
    If your bags are studded, go with the studded seat, if not you can go either way. I had a Mustang on my Suzuki, and if it would have fit the Dyna, I would still have it. Too many mods to make it work though.
  • August 18, 2010 8:34 AM PDT
    Ya know ~ it's interesting (and I have buggy eyes after reading all the comparisons on the net ) A lot of folks complain about the Sundowner being too wide in the groin area (hence the hip cramps I experienced) It makes me feel like I had ridden a Clydesdale or something!!! I know one seat can't fit all butts, but it seems the only thing that riders complain about on the 'stang' is the price. Well, you do get what you pay for ~ so the saying goes.

It's just been un-nerving to me that this summer it's become an arduous task to ride the Dyna. I've never experienced this discomfort and feeling of instability with this bike prior or any other bike. That is why the True-Track went on, switched out the OEM Dunlops (needed to go anyways) to the Michelins. The wife noticed right off the bat how the bike felt more stable when riding with me. Unfortunately, I take all the fun out of the ride by constantly shifting around in the Sundowner trying to get comfortable and ultimately end up 'skewed' in the saddle with the bike (and me) leaning. Screwy! 

Some of my buds have had Corbin and Mustangs on their Road Kings ~ The Mustang was the shiz. Guess I'll 'pony' up the bucks (yes, pun intended!) and get in touch with highrisk about how he got his True-Track all lined up. I've done years of aligning vehicles with multiple wheels ~ but a two wheeler with links and such is a different bear cat!

You guys are great and I thank you all for the input! If the new seat doesn't cure the situation... I'll just go do this...

Coop
  • August 18, 2010 12:10 PM PDT
    Well ~ it's a done deal... new Mustang Wide Vintage Saddle w / backrest and passenger pillion on order... w / studs (Thank you Howard and Gary!) HA HA! You guys know how to spend someone else's dough! Heh heh! J/K ~ thank you to all for your input ~ your opinions and experience mean a lot ~ so, who wants a Sundowner for $700 bucks??? Hey! I gotta cover handling ya know... and it's been well cared for!!! HA HA HA HA!!! I hope this is the trick... I love the ride and just need something to help my back, et al... fingers crossed and eyeballs too!
    Coop
    (I said 'eyeballs' FXR... ha ha!)
    G(with a C)
  • August 19, 2010 1:00 PM PDT
    I have been told that some people think Mustang seats are "Hard" to break in to be comfortable. Mine was installed in april and a very warm day for the first ride and it seemed to fit all contact areas most delightfully well from the first moment. There has not seemed to have been any change for the last 4 yrs of pleasure. Hope yours fits the seat as well.
    • 1066 posts
    August 19, 2010 1:11 PM PDT
    Greg, I hope you like the Mustang as well as I did. Howard, I never heard that about a Mustang. Mine was good after about the first week. A Corbin however will break you down, before you break it in.
    • 1066 posts
    August 19, 2010 1:20 PM PDT
    P.S. I'm gonna have to BITE the BULLET and buy a Mustang for My Dyna. Ha HA Ha