Clutch Switch '07 Road King

• 5420 posts
    April 18, 2013 2:16 AM PDT
    Lately to start my bike when in gear I have to squeeze the clutch extremely hard (crushing into the grip) to get the safety swith to activate.  So it seems the switch that detects when the clutch is in so you can start the bike in gear needs to be adjusted.

Anyone know exactly where that swith is?

• 19043 posts
    April 18, 2013 2:26 AM PDT
    When did they put that in???? Me no like...
    • 1855 posts
    April 18, 2013 2:28 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    When did they put that in???? Me no like...

Never knew there was one.  Geeeeeeeesh!!
    • 5420 posts
    April 18, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
    Believe it was '07 with the 6 speed. Yo can start in neutral without clutch but if in gear clutch must be in.

I actually never even knew it was there for over a year because I always grab the clutch when starting anyway.
    • 1855 posts
    April 18, 2013 3:58 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Believe it was '07 with the 6 speed. Yo can start in neutral without clutch but if in gear clutch must be in.

I actually never even knew it was there for over a year because I always grab the clutch when starting anyway.

Here's your sign.

• 1 posts
    April 18, 2013 4:22 AM PDT
    Lucky, same here with not knowing it was there. I had worked on and rode probably 50 of the newer bikes and never knew the switch was there either. Like you said I always either start the bike in neutral or grab the clutch so the bikes always started. It wasn't until I was putting a set of chrome controls on for a customer that I saw the switch in there.

The switch is in the lever handle similar to the front brake light switch. The difference is the switch on the brake activates almost immediately by releasing when the lever is slightly moved and the switch on the clutch does not activate until it is all the way pulled in.

You can see the button if you look between the lever near the pivot and the switch housing. There is no adjustment to the switch position itself. The little actuator on the switch needs to depress all the way to enable start. The switch actuator may be worn slightly or the clutch hanle may have a slight indent worn into it.  I would take it apart and inspect it, you might need a new switch.

If you listen real close you should be able to hear the switch click just as the clutch lever reaches the grip. You can hear it a little better as you are releasing the clutch.

• 5420 posts
    April 18, 2013 5:24 AM PDT
    Thanks Bailout. I do hear the click but as the clutch handle is squeezed tight against the grip. I will try taking it apart and cleaning it and see if I see anything else that looks wrong.
    • 1855 posts
    April 18, 2013 9:45 AM PDT
    Ya know I was just messin' with ya there Lucky, eh? I had no idea about that clutch switch. A lesson learned.

Peace
    • 5420 posts
    April 18, 2013 10:40 AM PDT
    I knew that Jimmy...
  • April 19, 2013 5:11 AM PDT
    Believe it or not I have had an 07 Road King for 4 years now and never realized the switch was there either. All the years I have been riding it is just second nature to pull the clutch to start the bike.
    • 2 posts
    April 22, 2013 3:55 PM PDT
    It's inside the left handlebar housing.

You will have to remove the housing and cut the wires of the old switch (cut at 1/4 in from old switch) When you install the new switch seat it in the cavity and make sure the plunger is square in the bore and the boot is not compressed, torn, smushed...etc. Then bottom out the switch against the housing by pushing down on the switch.

Hope that helps.
    • 844 posts
    May 3, 2013 12:11 PM PDT
    You get this solved Lucky?
    • 5420 posts
    May 3, 2013 12:34 PM PDT
    I did gofur. I took it apart and the top of the switch was slightly worn causing the clutch needing to come in further to engage it. For not I put a small piece of metallic tape on the lever and it's working fine!