To speed or not to speed that is the question

• October 30, 2012 6:30 AM PDT
     On the hghway, I'm always riding at 80 or 85.  So far, I've been lucky enough not to get caught.
    • 0 posts
    October 30, 2012 7:59 AM PDT
    I always go about 2 MPH faster than the traffic. I won't sit alongside someone. I want to be slowly going by traffic. I believe that is the safest way. Most of the motorcycle cops in the area seem to understand and they don't hassle me about it.
  • October 30, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
    Whats the Hurry. When I go on a ride that has freeway I will go the limit or the speed of traffic, sometimes you have to go with the flow or get run over.

now when i get to the road i want to be on i will set back and enjoy the ride. I dont see any reason to get to the destination early. I like to take my time and enjoy myself and if I want to stop and take five or some pics I can do it safely.
  • October 30, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
    My old ass gets tired or sometimes there is just a cold drink I need to get to, or a sweet hug, or a hot man.
  • October 30, 2012 1:51 PM PDT
    Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Sometimes I drive fast, sometimes I drive slow. Just depends on how I feel and where I'm going.
  • November 4, 2012 7:13 PM PST
    When I'm out riding on the freeways thru So-Cal, I will ride as fast as I need too. I try to stay in the open stretches between the packs of cars. Usually about 80 or so but when I'm heading out across to nowhere I just cruise and relax. No hurries or worries is what I like to say.
  • November 4, 2012 9:09 PM PST
    You can barely do the speed limit in NO, since most of the roads are in terrible shape...I must drive across Lake Pontchatrain (a/b 40mi) before I can get up and go...and yes, I generally ride the speed limit - (65-75mph).
    • 40 posts
    November 6, 2012 1:17 AM PST
    To all that have posted replies in this forum, thanks . I like to go a little faster( 5-10 mph) in the city highway, but like to enjoy the ride where there is little to no traffic. Doing this does is for great for my mind, soul.
    • 3006 posts
    November 8, 2012 6:16 AM PST
    Good post !
    Usually I drive around the speed limit,tho when out in the sticks I open her up and cruise as fast as I like.
    Never git on a bike in a hurry as this always backfires on me,and it usually ends up taking more time rushing back for something I forget to grab in the rush out the door.
  • MrB
    November 8, 2012 6:30 AM PST
    Back roads I like to go slow enjoy the ride but if cars came up I'll do 5 over the limit, highways I'll go with the flow 5-10 over, but I'm still slower then most cars just get in the slow lane and let them go by. life's to short enjoy it. Peace out Brother
    • 40 posts
    November 8, 2012 7:34 AM PST
    MrB, amen to that. Great post, thanks for your contribuition to this forum.
    • 580 posts
    November 8, 2012 7:47 AM PST
    I quite enjoy winding it on a bit on decent, straightish roads and and enjoy the overtakes when it's clear. However, on moar of our very narrow, bendy, hilly roads (which we have a lot of in Yorkshire and around) then I prefer to take it steady. A little faster on the bike than in the car (dughters say I drive like a Grannie and I tell them that's cos I AM one lol) - but mainly because I can get past other traffic on the bike. Don't like to go tooooooo fast to be totally honest cos I'm keen to keep my licence and there's always the risk of too many mobile speed cameras and unmarked police cars. Besides which - if I wind it on too long Shaun's hands and legs get tired from all the flapping (o:
    • 601 posts
    November 8, 2012 8:00 AM PST
    Admit it Choco..................you're a hooligan !!!!
    • 580 posts
    November 8, 2012 8:22 AM PST
    rory1 wrote...
    Admit it Choco..................you're a hooligan !!!!

Oh my dear Rory - think you're getting me mixed up with SheepShaun lol
    • 1 posts
    November 8, 2012 1:22 PM PST
    I look at it like this, and this is also how cops look at it...(motorofficers)...a biker should ride through the traffic. Not stick to one spot..and travel with it. Cages have the capacity to forget why what and how they are doing it. Test yourself when next in your cage..let someone else drive and just watch them. Cagers get distracted by the most mundane things. Thats when trouble for the wayward biker occurs..(usually). So yes i speed through the traffic. I always have. It's kept me alive thus far...on country roads well thats another story...I have no clue how to stop farmer Smith from pulling out of his hedgerow right infront of you... so usually i ride down the centre line...unless he's coming the otherway then i move to the side...
    • 1161 posts
    November 9, 2012 5:23 AM PST
    I do 4-6 MPH faster on the open roads in my car except in residential areas then I go 15-20 MPH. Last thing I want to do is hit or hurt a child. On the bike I go speed limits or below because my bike won't get up and go like most riders I ride with.
  • January 26, 2013 3:30 AM PST
    Because I am an amateur club racer and my street legal bike is also very fast looking that I would love to speed on the road, but I don't. I normally go with the flow of traffic, maybe just a little faster. The one exception is out on the long straight empty roads that run through the center of the state and the Everglades. Out there I will open it up just for fun.

I get the need for speed out on the track where it belongs.