Night Rides

• August 9, 2012 11:47 AM PDT
    Lately, it's been 100 degrees plus in the afternoons. The wind keeps it bearable, but night rides and hitting that occasional "cool spot" is awesome. However, living in the South means keeping a lookout for deer and other critters. I cringe everytime I'm on the bike and pass by a deer that was hit by a cage on the road.
    • 5420 posts
    August 9, 2012 11:50 AM PDT
    This is the best time of year for night riding around here. Stay dusk from about 6:30 to 9:00 with perfect temps. Even if you ride a little later it is still comfortable long sleeve t-shirt weather until about 10:30-11:00.
    • 846 posts
    August 10, 2012 2:17 AM PDT
    Here in the Northeast there are a few nights when it is perfect for night riding, The moon is out and the temperature is just right. There something about when everything else is closed for the night and the only vestige of civilization is the lights they have left on. Neon is the coolest in the store windows. Then there is the wooded enclosed roads. Like driving through tunnels that don't end. There have been a few of these that have caused some problems the next day for me as I was a little sleep deprived. But it always worth it.
    On the plus side is Fate is a FLPD so the highway lights don't turn off when the high beams are on so I have plenty of light which was a concern in the past.
    • 5420 posts
    August 10, 2012 3:22 AM PDT
    Wow, didn't realize the highway lights stayed on with the high beans on the police bike. I always wanted to rewire my bike to do that so I had the hw lights for the road in front and the high beams for down the road.

Gonna start a new topic to see if anyone can suggest how to do that.
    • 834 posts
    September 3, 2013 1:38 PM PDT
    This summer the only time you could ride without dying from the heat was at night. I normally go out one or two nights a week in the summer. Best way to forget about everything and go home and get a great nights sleep.
    • 5420 posts
    September 5, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
    We have missed our night rides this summer. Even though I am back on the bike, Laura still has a few more weeks and those eventing rides are just not as much fun unless we are together.