won't start,1990 tour glide

• 19 posts
    January 30, 2012 1:40 AM PST
    I suppect it maybe the brake light switch,the 1 under the motor,as i have checked everthing ele's and has new Batt.Also the turn signels stopped working,When i check the brake switch for contennewaut what should i find?I'm a pretty good car mechine,and was a tech dude for 15 years,i have my digatal voltage meter.Help Please Keith In Pa
    • 19043 posts
    January 30, 2012 1:43 AM PST
    There are many here more qualified than me to advise but I will ask...

You say won't start, do you mean won't crank over or cranks over but won't light?
    If it is as I think, your rear brake switch is pressure activated, and as with most switches it should be open (no continuity) when no pressure is applied to the brakes, when pressure is applied it shoul be closed sending the 12V to your brake light or brake light relay.
    As with anything electrical, Get A Schematic or you will be chasing your tail...
    • 1 posts
    January 30, 2012 3:07 AM PST
    My first question would be the same as the one above...Does it just not even turn the starter when you hit start?

I don't see any reason the rear brake switch would have an effect on starting - the bike should start with or without the brake pressed - unless there is a short in the switch, but I would think you would see other electrical problems too if that was the case.

You can try disconnecting the switch just to rule it out.
  • January 30, 2012 5:19 AM PST
    Pull your dash and check all the connectors.
    • 19 posts
    January 31, 2012 1:58 AM PST
    I do have lights when i turn the key on,i don't have nothing when i hit start,not even a click,and i do have dash pulled,and seat and tank.Also i do have schematic.Any thoughts on the no turn signals?Going to get warm here today,so i will b out in the garage,and i will write down everthing i do and test,it's been 2 months since i looked at it at all. Thanks all
  • January 31, 2012 2:13 AM PST
    If your turn signals are out too then I'd guess you've got a blown fuse on that circuit. The signals won't be in the same circuit as your starter though.
  • January 31, 2012 2:36 AM PST
    There is a starter relay under the left side rear side cover,(have to take the left saddle bag off to get it off),the kill switch is'nt on is it?
    • 19 posts
    January 31, 2012 11:05 PM PST
    The relay checks out ok,and so dose the kill switch,and i've not yet found any fuses,just circuit breakers that all check out good.I'm hoping and praying i get to spend some time on it today,Life is sucking a bit rt now for me...lol thank again,all
  • February 1, 2012 12:59 AM PST
    So are all you readings within spec? No bad grounds anywhere that might have some road dirt or rust around ground connections that need to be addressed? Have you tested your Stator and your Regulater/Rectifier? If it's electrical it can be anything.

I've seen this a bunch but usually what it came down to is that the connectors under the dash has some minor corrosion issues or had just plain came unplugged because the stuff under there seem to take a hell of a beating over time... wish we were more help in this matter man, know how it is to not have your baby up to snuff. Press on bro you'll get'r figgered out!
  • February 1, 2012 5:21 AM PST
    Yeah,only circuit breakers,some by that starter relay ,and some under the speedo, I had an 80 one time was pinching the hot wire running fro the fairing to the bike,every time I turned to extreme right would kill the bike,have you tried to jump across the starter to see if it works? How much you want to unload that boat,gotta soft spot for Tour Glides,just a thought.
    • 19 posts
    February 3, 2012 2:09 PM PST
    Not ready to sell,hope i never get to the point were i can't wrench it,I still have 6 weeks till spring,and thats a gr8 ideal jumping across the starter.Stator was 14 i belive,and yes everthing did check out ok,But that was 3 months ago,i plan to start from the beginning soon,but i will be writing down ever thing i do,so you all have something to work with..Thanks so very much for all the help,lots of bad shit happening in my life latley,I really need to get that bike running,that will make me right again.Get me away from the drama.
    • 19 posts
    February 3, 2012 2:25 PM PST
    I did just run out to the garage and crossed the posts,sounds like started runs but its not turning to turn motor over.Short story it was failing to start at 1st,then sit for 2 weeks,i tryed it ,it started i jumped on with no cigs no cell i rode arund my boro. mybe 10 miles and it just shut down like i hit the kill switch.2 miles from home,towed with wife driving the car 2 miles,what a scary ass ride that was.Thanks again ALL
  • February 5, 2012 5:50 AM PST
    might want to check your stator my friend
  • February 5, 2012 8:12 AM PST
    You got that 14 volts with the bike running at idle with the lights on? Checking at the battery,sounds acceptable. The just dieing like the kill switch sounds like a maybe hot wire problem,you got a radio caddy? stock radio?clock?cig lighter? the whizzing starter could be a starter drive issue,you got the manual not a big deal if you need to get in the fairing def would look close at all red wires for breakage or wear
    • 19 posts
    February 5, 2012 11:26 PM PST
    No i got that straight from the stator back when i was having batt. problyms,The batt. is a hd batt. 6 months,the starter is 2 years old.The spinning sounds to me like the solenoid isn't doing anything?Should it turn the engine over?
    • 19 posts
    March 6, 2012 10:56 PM PST
    Found it last night,i took all the contacts under speedo,that were hooked to the breakers off and cleaned them all,hit the start button,and hell yes.Hoping i can get it all back together today,as we are going to have some 60s today and tomorrow.Thank you all for your help.One very happy man..I will snap a pix B4 i put it back together,most of the bike is in doors rt now.Got to know my harley very well,this winter.Made a few upgrades also.thanks again you all
  • March 7, 2012 12:53 AM PST
    Cool keep the shiny side up
    • 19 posts
    March 12, 2012 3:24 PM PDT
    Can not figer whats wrong with my turn signals,I have noticed that b4 i hooked up the head light they work?I have checked ever thing,all my grounds are clean and good,cleaned ever pin ever conector.I guess it MIGHT be turn signal canceler?But that would b a 175.00 guess.Anyone know were i could find a good used one?If i was sure i was right,I would have ordered the part now,and would be ok with that price,but what if i'm wrong,For 175.00 i could bye a whole new wiring harness,At this point i need that.What a mess i have made out of this bike,almost ready to trow in the towel.Running Gr8 though...WTF LOL
  • March 12, 2012 11:39 PM PDT
    Multiple random electrical failures (starter, turn signals, etc...) usually = a bad ignition switch. (not the starter button, the ignition switch.) Try turning the ignition switch on, then push it backward just enough to apply just a little contact pressure, That may or may not diagnosis the issue.
  • March 13, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
    I've been reading this thread as I do alot of them, for I by far am not a wrenching wench by any shape or means but I figure I could learn something in the process. I've sat on the side of the road with a few things wrong during my travels. So I can only say sorry man to hear your having such issues. I fear the more computerized our rides get the more stuip the electrical problems will be. I long for the simple days eh? Any bike that sitts for awhile gets pissed when ya try to get them rolling, I hope you find your answer sir, May she roll down the road happily when ya get done with her. have a great one "T"
    • 5420 posts
    March 13, 2012 3:04 AM PDT
    nightprowler1961, bummer you are having so many electrical problems.

Firs thin I would try disconnecting the headlight to see if the blinkers start working again??? That way you know that having the headlight connected is what causes causes the problem. Other wise I would assume something happened while connecting the headlight.

Since you stated the blinkers were working before you hooked up the headlights, and also in your very first post you mentioned the blinkers had stopped working, I am thinking there is a loose or bad wire or connection somewhere. I would first re-check everything you touched when re-connecting the headlight.
  • March 13, 2012 12:57 PM PDT
    Did you try your 4ways,are they switched seperate on that year? The flashers are under your speedo,there's 2 one for regular,and one for the 4 ways,so if the 4ways work then it could be the other flasher is bad. Hand signals work too,not so much after dark. 175 bones seems high for a canceler.
    • 51 posts
    March 16, 2012 4:05 AM PDT
    Any luck so far nightprowler?
    • 19 posts
    March 25, 2012 11:20 PM PDT
    I have turn signails,it was the 175 bucks canceler box..Thanks again,all
  • March 26, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
    Cool,keep the shiny side up!