I don't wanna grow up-I'm a toys are us kid.....

• 9 posts
    November 17, 2011 1:45 AM PST

Well, this has been one interesting week for me.  I'm helping one of my Cambodian friends, in her carry-out, because her husband passed suddenly, and she can't bear to be alone in the store.  My whole life, I've had trouble deciding what I wanted to do with my life.  And the subsequent educational problems, that come with indescision, have plagued me for years.  I'd go to school for one thing, (while cleaning homes & business'only to decide, that wasn't the career, for me.  I always went back to cleaning, because it was fairly lucrative, and I was always my own boss. (Which ROCKS!!!)  But, now that I've been helping my friend in the store, I'm thinking that this wouldn't be a bad way to go, either.  She is selling the store because she can't bear to work it, without her dear husband.  And I'm considering.....

Sometimes I think that I'll never grow up, and become a "responsible" adult.  Of course, if I did, I probably wouldn't ride a motorcycle, act like a kid, think anything is possible, or live my dreams.

Anyone else, out there, feel this same way? 

Ride Free

TWEEK

• November 17, 2011 1:55 AM PST
    James Dean (my hero) says it best: Live for today! I know we are all suppose to be so responsible and save and all that, however, you need to also be happy. Look inside your heart and go with what it says. Every day I meet with very many people who made all the correct educational choices when they were young and now are finally able to do what they have always wanted; and they are finally happy inside their soul. Be happy inside your soul and you will be living right. Always remember to give back, and live right. Peace and love to you!
  • November 17, 2011 2:18 AM PST
    Hello Tweek, There is one think you must remember when you own your own business, you are the "BOSS". This means you must be there most of the time the business is open, it takes almost all your time and energy. It is really hard to find good employees these days. Everyone wants a job but don't want to work at the job. I'm not an expert but owning your own business is hard to say the least. Stress of running a business is really high. Do what you think is best for you and your family, just look at yourself and decide your future. I am 64 tears old and I still have an unknow path to follow. Ride hard and Good LUCK .
    • 395 posts
    November 17, 2011 2:26 AM PST
    being a former retail business owner I can tell you it has it's rewards...and it's draw backs....nothing like cleaning houses.....Marvo was dead on when he said finding good employees is hard...and if something goes wrong you have to be there...no matter what else you have planned...you in essence become "married" to the business.....i would advise you, if you're serious to look at the books....how much does the stock cost...how many employees, what's the pay rate...how much is coming in as far as revenue...how much is going out in bills and repair cost...what are the taxes......any other questions, you know where to find me.....and for the record...i'm never gonna grow up...it's overrated!!!!!!
  • November 17, 2011 3:04 AM PST
    Been in business for over 25 yrs. and agree with the above. Take out is a time consuming business. When you are in retail business it is 24/7 365 days a year. I remember many times coming into the business on Sunday afternoon and driving past all the people having cookouts, etc. in the homes. When I came in it was my day off. You get a day off it you are lucky and find an employee to work for you. When you find one its after you have gone thru about 100 others. If they do stay then it will not be long before they will go elsewhere for more money because you cannot afford them. If cleaning business or take out. Which I have knowledge of both. Take the cleaning, You will be much more happy. In Retail your cycle is a mode of transportation. In cleaning its a cycle for fun.
  • November 17, 2011 3:36 AM PST
    There is no one out there who hasn't said/thought "If only I had.......". Such is life, cause that's what it is, life!
  • November 17, 2011 11:30 AM PST
    Hey Tweek, have owned my own truck over 25 years.Sometimes being a owner/boss is the greatest feeling there is- other times it sux. Like lola said your married to it. You'll be the 1st one in and the last one out. Best of luck, what ever you decide.

As for me- growing older is a fact of life--growing up is optional
    • 2072 posts
    November 17, 2011 12:08 PM PST
    Having grown up in a "Mom & Pop" grocery store I can agree with the above comments....... It IS a 24/7 deal. My Mom & Dad missed out on so many family events........ Grandkid's birthdays, school activities ect. Got ripped of BIG TIME by employees that they THOUGHT they could trust and actually treated them like part of the family. Then, there is the economy to consider....... Times are hard right now and more and more people are shopping the big box stores 'cause of lower prices just to save a buck. When my parents decided to retire after 35 years in their "Prison" they asked me if I would like to take over their business. Gave it some serious thought (for about 4 seconds) and told them not only no but...... HELL NO !!!!!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    November 18, 2011 12:36 AM PST
    After I retired from the Fed's I started a Consulting business. I dumped a ton of $$ into the business just getting started...(web site, advertising, BBB creditability....etc). Angel Eyes told me not to do it becuase of the enonomy. Know what ...She was right. Having a Consultant is something a business cannot afford when times are tight. Long story short after about 7 months and one client, which died on me, don't think I had anything to do with it. I know he still owed me $1,000.00 when he passed, I gave up got depressed as hell, and started working in the Security Business.
    Now as far as growing up.....I may grow old, but I will never grow up!!!
    My son came back to Texas a few years ago to visit, so him and Angel Eyes and I go out for Mexican Food, and a few drinks. Well I got plowed and my son drove us back to the house. On the way home some dumb ass cut us off, so what did the Mature Dragon do.........pulled down my pants and mooned the bastard. A bit to much for little Dragon.
    Hell no I'm not going to grow up......!!!!!!!
    • 9 posts
    November 19, 2011 7:22 AM PST

I DO appreciate the feedback, but after much consideration and a whole lotta stress, I've discovered this type of business, while on first inspection, seemed like a viable idea, I gotta tell you, there ain't NO WAY in hells, I'm gonna consider it anymore!  TO MUCH STRESS!  Between trying to make sure you don't sell to minors, shooing out the dead-beats, cleaning up after some slovenly people, and just dealing with the everyday "party" crowd, I just don't think I'm cut out for this.  It's fun for a minute...not for a lifetime!  I'll stick with my cleaning business...at least I KNOW where the shit's gonna come from.  LOL!?!

Ride Free

TWEEK