Scam Alert!

• October 28, 2011 7:09 AM PDT
    Hello all,
      just wanted to let everyone know that i posted a bike for sale and someone answered and said they wanted the bike but he would issue me a US cashiers check for the amount asked but will send extra and to wire the extra money to his trustee for the insurance and shipping..he was going to be out of the states in the uk for a few months..well i talked to the sheriffs dept. here and confirmed i
    ts a scam...this site is the only site i advertised on..so just beware...
    • 1780 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:23 AM PDT
    Thanks for the heads up Koed
  • October 28, 2011 12:04 PM PDT
    lol scam?
    • 19007 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:52 PM PDT
    Thanks for the notice, could you send any of the info (email etc) of this scammer via PM to Lucky, Debrajo or me?
    • 567 posts
    October 29, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
    Hey!! These poor Nigerian bankers like to ride bikes too. And, once they get to know you, you might even be lucky enough to be offered a really sweet investment deal.
    As a matter of fact, I'm in really tight with these Nigerian fellas .. including the widow of the country's finance minister .. and if you send ME all your money, I'll be glad to make wise investment for ya. [he said, very tongue in cheek]

Seriously though .. I'm glad you sniffed out the scam and didn't get caught up in it.
  • October 29, 2011 2:30 AM PDT
    Yeah. I have a check that was sent to "purchase" a bike I had once advertized in the amount of $4600. It was drawn on a Houston Oil Company. The buyer had seen only pictures of the bike and was not even going to test ride it, but had a shipper that was supposed pick it up. I called the Accounting Dept of the company the check was from. Was told it was one of a bundle of checks that had been stolen. I reported it to the FBI Internet Fraud site, but never heard back.
    • 5417 posts
    October 29, 2011 2:44 AM PDT
    Another version happened to a friend of mine on a smaller scale. He had some furniture listed for sale. This guy bought it and sent a "delivery guy" over to pick it up. Said he was going to give the delivery guy a check to give my buddy for the price of the furniture plus $200 for the delivery guy. Asked my friend to take the check and give the delivery guy $200 cash.

Guy would have made off with the furniture and $200.
    • 2072 posts
    October 29, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
    EVERY time I have posted something on Craigslist this has happened. Sad thing is there are people out there that fall for the scam.
    • 1516 posts
    October 29, 2011 3:22 AM PDT
    I have notice that if there is anything to do with their own "shipper" or "check" it is the red flag!
    Thanks for letting us know, and as Mike said, please send us the info so we can hopefully stop it from happening anymore.
    • 1780 posts
    October 29, 2011 3:34 AM PDT
    I know this is way out there for these scammers but........how about go and get a job you lazy bastards. Woops forgot I'm a Moderator now, just can't change bad habits....LOL
  • October 29, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
    Yeah. I just had two scammers try the same thing on a couple items I put on craigslist. I checked the phone number used for ones email address. They live in East Africa. Must be a group with ties here in the US.
    • 2 posts
    October 29, 2011 9:49 AM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    EVERY time I have posted something on Craigslist this has happened. Sad thing is there are people out there that fall for the scam.

Yup! - Suit yourself but I insist on "PayPal" or a personal check with a street address printed on it & a phone number written on it. Easy enough to xcheck a name against a street address & a phone #

last item I lited on the internet was 2+ years ago, still get offers.
  • October 29, 2011 1:19 PM PDT
    @nightdragon! It's ok! From now on, use the new term "go faster" that's the one I use.
  • October 30, 2011 4:50 AM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    BlvdCruiser wrote...

Anybody that is dumb enough to fall for these pathetic attempts at scamming deserve to be had.
    • 9 posts
    October 30, 2011 12:12 PM PDT
    There's all kinds of scams and scammer's. I got this lady, who wanted me to clean her "mansion". She was in "Canada" and wanted it to be cleaned before her and the "Assistant Prime Minister" got back to the US. She wanted to send me a check, but needed me to send her some travel money, out of the "deposit". Hoo boy! She must've thought I rolled off the back of the turnip truck at midnite. When I started asking questions, she suddenly had "things to do" and wanted to correspond...only. Adios Muchacha...These people are getting slicker and slicker. And the closer to the holidays, the more scams you'll be seeing. Trust NO ONE online, without triple verification. ID, bank verification, and address. It's your money. Be careful, out there.
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 2 posts
    November 1, 2011 3:34 AM PDT
    Problem is there are people who are either dumb enough or desperate enough to fall for these scams, and the most vulnerable people are usually the ones who can afford to loose money the least.

Bottom suckers - every one of them!
  • January 3, 2012 3:55 AM PST
    i recently ordered a p/s 3 from a website called sell .com which is like eBay and never received my order but did almost get scammed out of 245.00 but thank god for pay pal they backed me up..so i will always use pay pal from now on...
    • 1780 posts
    January 3, 2012 7:36 AM PST
    Bottom Line...... If it sounds to good to be true It probably is. If someone wants to come to my house to give me an est. on some work I don't feel like doing I show up at the door Badged up with a 45 in a cross draw holster. I will know right away if they are legit or not!
    Now I want to say sorry for the slightly radical reply! I promised not to do that as much this year.
    Dragon
  • January 3, 2012 8:01 AM PST
    Too bad we can't take that crook out behind the corral n learn m the Cowboy way....Good job Kenney...
    • 0 posts
    January 3, 2012 8:06 AM PST
    Those bloody Nigerian blokes are into everything..They tried to buy my entertainment unit last year and a mates ski boat recently..What tipped me off was I dont reckon they have TV in Nigeria and they sure as shit dont have a safe place to ski with those bastard crocs and hippo's...CHEERS BOOF