Front Tires and Evil Trolls

• 611 posts
    August 7, 2011 5:01 PM PDT
    I was headed out of Tucson for Phoenix, 110* and I was with three other scooters, all choppers. I was riding my rigid frame pan/shovel, running a 12" over springer with a 21" Avon front tire. We were almost to Picacho Peak when my front tire just exploded... shredded into nothing but rim in about 4 seconds flat.
    We were riding two-up (side by side) and I was riding 'wing' (front right). Traffic was all around us and I knew I had about 2 seconds to live. So I did the only think that made sense to me.... I smashed the rear brake pedal as hard as I could. The back tire locked up and as it started to try and pass me on the left, it pointed the front of the bike at the shoulder. I let off the brake, goosed the throttle and hit the sand... at around 70!
    Now, the folks that live in that area know that the shoulder of I-10 varies between hard-pan, shrub patches and sections of flat, featureless sand. It was one of those patches that I hit. It did the same thing to me that it does to runaway trucks.... brought the bike to a rapid, rude stop and slammed it onto it's side.... Course, I wasn't so lucky! I landed several yards away, on my head I think. Prob what saved me, as that's the hardest part of my body.... Dislocated collar bone, bad sprained neck & right wrist, torn right knee and it felt like my entire body had been beaten by evil trolls with large sticks...
    Springer was pretty twisted, the front rim/spokes/spool were all TRASHED! The bike had a rattle-can flat black paint job, so no real damage there but there were a few more dents and the gas tank's mount had sprung a drip/leak. My bro's were with me, got me dragged over to where the bikes were and rigged up a shade for me. We didn't know how we were gonna get me to the hospital (my collar bone was poking up and we thought that it was broke), when outta the blue, an ambulance pulled up and within minutes, I was headed back to Tuscon!
    Crom (Biker God) was right there and He kicked my ass alll the way back to Tucson. They sorted me out and sent me home (no insurance). I was back up on a bro's scooter about three, maybe four days later, just to prove I could. Shoulder still hurts sometime, knee is kinda crinkly and I won't even talk about my neck...heh heh....
    So there is my 'Front Tire Story'... Some of my friends have not been as fortunate as I was that day. Two folks that I called Brother have died when their front tires have blown out..... on the freeway. They were run over by cars that couldn't stop. RIP....
    So, I'll just say "Ride Enjoy Repeat!" ... and check yer front tire pressure regularly!

• 3006 posts
    August 7, 2011 5:45 PM PDT
    Good post !!! enjoyed the read..hope others will learn from it !
    • 611 posts
    August 8, 2011 5:01 AM PDT
    Thanx Blurple!
  • January 11, 2012 10:35 AM PST
    Hey dude, I am gonna say this only once, dammit, you best watch how you address us evil Michigan (below the bridge) Trolls ! Heh!!!
    • 611 posts
    January 12, 2012 3:07 PM PST
    Aw Sultan, twern't the Michi-gander Trolls I wuz speakin of... Twer the Arizona trolls that had whooped on me! Good ta see ya on the site! Rosebud!
  • April 25, 2012 1:47 AM PDT
    I must say that I am starting to get very concerned regarding the current World Troll situation, well to be more explicit the "Evil Troll" situation. A friend of mine rode last year almost the length of Norway to the Arctic Circle, and it was fortunately Troll free, although some spine chilling Troll stories were exchanged along the way between fellow travellers. I must admit I, like most Norwegians, I will tollerate those kind of Troll's that keep themselves to themselves and bring up there kids to respect those above ground, BUT there is a small yet significant minority, who seem Hell Bent on causing mayhem to road users, and especially (for reason's only known to them) Motorcyclist's!! My concern is that I used to sleep sound in the knowledge that this Troll problem was contained mostly to SW Norway, but I am reading of more and more (unprovoked) Troll attacks in Northern Europe and have now reached North America. Please do not be complacent, Trolls do not just loiter in cold, dark and damp places, as Edgewalker reports an attack in Tucson, it is not just a problem that's not on your doorstep, it concerns all motorcylist, and you can't insure against it. Until now...Please see my range of Troll scaring charms on Ebay. These are hand made and certified the genuine article direct from Norway, and are guaranteed with a no quibble money back if not totally satisfied.

Ride Safe and Ride Protected.

Buc
    • 1 posts
    April 25, 2012 2:37 PM PDT
    I always had this thing about tire pressure...or the lack of...due to my current stateof laziness..I can go weeks without the need to ride..call it what you will...I call it laziness. I been on every road around here 1000 times..or more, I'm bored shitless. So i don't bother. That causes the problem, my front tyre air pressure goes down to about 20 lbs..On runs i run it up @ 40 lbs..front and back....cause that seems to be thebest pressure for avon venoms, but at 20 lbs they have a tendacy to wanna go where they may...until road pressure builds on em...but then Mr lazy makes his appearance, and i don't bother if I'm going local...like they say theres always air in the top...
    • 823 posts
    April 25, 2012 3:12 PM PDT
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    I always had this thing about tire pressure...or the lack of...due to my current stateof laziness..I can go weeks without the need to ride..call it what you will...I call it laziness. I been on every road around here 1000 times..or more, I'm bored shitless. So i don't bother. That causes the problem, my front tyre air pressure goes down to about 20 lbs..On runs i run it up @ 40 lbs..front and back....cause that seems to be thebest pressure for avon venoms, but at 20 lbs they have a tendacy to wanna go where they may...until road pressure builds on em...but then Mr lazy makes his appearance, and i don't bother if I'm going local...like they say theres always air in the top...

My grandpa always said. "It's only flat on bottom"   Jonesy,  miles apart but we grew up together!!

• 611 posts
    April 25, 2012 5:38 PM PDT
    Jonesy1340 wrote...

Oh Jonesy... don't I know it! I thought that I was good with the little maint. Hell, I even got an air compressor, so I got no excuse for what happened. I came back fro a hunnerd miler and noticed the back tire was starting to 'cup'. So I ran it by my local HD service shop. Told the guy about the cupping. He just looked at me and said "When was the last time you check yer tire pressure?"

He had me! I couldn't remember! So he checked 'em... YUP, 20psi each. Head hung low, shamed....

Once a week, right? specially since I'm riding a lot...

• 1 posts
    April 25, 2012 7:19 PM PDT
    funny you say that edge...I was checking out the rear tyre cupping just the other day...lol..she's due for tags next month...hope it 'll pass without getting a new rear just yet...I'm gunna be gone for over 2 months ...why waste money on a tyre before i go. $230 bucks is better in my wallet than, on some dumb ol tyre.