Has anyone ridden the "Legends Ride" at the Sturgis Ra

• 33 posts
    July 15, 2011 6:20 AM PDT
    Hey all! I am going to Sturgis for the first time to attend the 2011 rally in a couple weeks. I was thinking of riding the "Legends Ride". Have any of you done this and what was your opinion of it? Thanks in advance! Ride Safe!!!
  • July 15, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
    I rode in it back in 2002. It was like anyother big ride except they rode slow and there were several people before the ride that I had seen on TV or in the movies. This was before all the motorcycle shows and I didn't recognize any of the builders because frankly I didn't know any LOL. Oh yea if your an average Joe you get top ride in the back with all the real folks. Have fun! And remember there will be a Sturgis next year also so don't kill yourself trying to do everything in one week.
    • 5419 posts
    July 16, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
    We headed over to the ride last year, but when we got there we decided not to do it.  Just looked like it was going to take a while to get it together and get going, and then with that many bikes was going to be a LONG - SLOW ride.  We were a bit hung-over and just wasn't up for waiting around and a slow ride in 95° weather (probably would have passed-out before we even rolled).  If I was in a little better shape, I would have rode.
  • July 21, 2011 2:11 AM PDT
    Hey Dualsport, I noticed you posted a few times in the forums about coming out here for THE Rally. I live 15 miles from Sturgis and can point you in the right direction if you want to ride the scenic roads. My favorite is Custer State Park. The Needles Highway is FANTASTIC! Lots of hair-pin turns, some wildlife (buffalo, mountain goat, deer, etc), and Sylvan Lake is beautiful....You get the idea. Iron Mountain Road is very cool too. I suggest grabbing a map because it can get confusing in the park. I have been on the Wildlife Loop and it is nice, but doesn't compare to Needles.

If you hit Deadwood, head out on Hwy. 385 to Hill City and Keystone then Iron Mountain Road, then to the Needles and if you have time you can finish up at Mt. Rushmore. Wednesday is the day to hit Hulet, WY. and Devils Tower--HUGE party! If you take Boulder Canyon (14a) between Deadwood and Sturgis, be careful. There are a lot of accidents in there. Mostly people crossing the center line/going too fast. It is a nice ride though. Spearfish Canyon is awesome and a must see. Crazy Horse of course! Another fun and scenic ride, but also dangerous, is Vanocker Canyon between Sturgis and Nemo. That should keep you busy for the week!

If you plan on coming out a few days early, join us up in Lead for a poker run. Details on my page or our website www.bikersagainstprostatecancer.com. Hope to see you there. Have fun and ride safe.

Charm
    • 33 posts
    July 21, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
    Hey Devious one! Great info!!! I appreciate all of it. I plan on arriving on the 1st or 2nd. I will be solo so if you feel like a ride I would love for an local rider to show me the area! Let me know!
    • 467 posts
    July 21, 2011 2:02 PM PDT
    Dualsport, since you will be camping with us you can look at all my maps. Since I too live here but choose to camp at Glencoe during the rally, I always have maps on hand highlighting all the great roads.
    • 33 posts
    July 21, 2011 11:54 PM PDT
    Sounds like a plan! I just rebuilt my front end (seals were leakin' a bit) and installed a new starter so my sled should be ready for the long haul! I sure hope my butt is!!!! lol! I am so ready for a vacation! I look forward to meeting a lot of folks from across the country! Have a great weekend!
  • July 26, 2011 10:56 AM PDT
    Dualsport, my buddy and I will be out there too. Planning on arriving Friday, 8/5. Coming out from SoCal. We'll probably run into you in Section 8. My buddy wanted to do the Legends Ride, so I signed us up. Includes tix to the concert, so what the hey! We're running on Road Glides, a flat black and a flat red one.
    • 33 posts
    July 26, 2011 12:24 PM PDT
    Sounds good Peterod45. I will be on the RK pictured here. Look me up when you get there! I have not purchased tickets for the Legend Ride yet but still may! Have you guys been to Sturgis before?
    • 33 posts
    July 27, 2011 3:14 PM PDT
    Peterod45....just signed up for the Legends ride! Should be a good time. look me up when you get there!
  • July 28, 2011 2:26 AM PDT
    Dualsport, yes, I've been twice. In 98,99. I know alot has changed around town, looking forward to it.