2007 HD FatBoy serious tire problem??

• July 2, 2011 2:31 AM PDT
     The ole man bought his Harley new 2007 FatBoy n first set of tires made it a little over 6000 miles but after he had motor done plus some other work n now going thru tires every 2000 to 2500 miles? dealers says they dont know we went for a 200 mile ride the other day n u could see the wear n they r wearing sideways? they are willing to let him trade it on n get another but its the first n really want to keep it but cant deal with tire issue n no one knows how to fix ? really he spent 17000 for something they say they cant fix> Anyone else out there have the same problem with 07 fatboy would luv to hear if there is a fix, please
    • 19007 posts
    July 2, 2011 4:06 AM PDT
    I have never heard of this problem with any bike. I would accept the trade offer. Something is seriously wrong with that bike. I wonder if it had ever been wrecked.
  • July 5, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
    If it's that bad, take the trade deal, couldn't agree with Rex more! Some bikes with un-resolvable problems are traded around until they're fixed or chopped and made into some sort of custom. If the ol' man needed a cool project he might consider doing a ground up restore job to it... might even find the problem.
    • 5419 posts
    July 5, 2011 6:27 AM PDT
    You mentioned that the mileage you got on the tires dropped significantly after motor and "some other work". Just curious - what was that "other work"?
  • July 5, 2011 7:42 AM PDT
    oh yeah, I wonder if the motor mounts are aligned incorrectly?
  • July 5, 2011 9:59 AM PDT
    I'm wondering if they dropped it off the bike stand when they had it in the shop. Maybe this is why their willing to take it in trade even though they know they can't resale it. Have you had the bike checked out by another shop?
    • 1 posts
    July 8, 2011 4:51 AM PDT
    Yep, that ait right. Even your original mileage of 6,000 sounds a little low to me, especially if you were running the stock H-D Dunlops. But the 2,000 - 2,500 is a sure sign something is wrong.

I would also be interested as to what other work you had done. Dropping off the lift is a possibilty, but it normally takes a little more impact than that to tweek a frame.

Have it looked at by an independant shop!
  • July 10, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
    Wow, guys sure do appreciate all the input here. Yeah we got 6000 miles on first set, put in shop to have 103 screaming eagle motor and the what ol man calls beer cans on forks, then dropped to maybe 2000 before new tires n they wear sideways, Run it to Charleston dealer and was told it was a problem with 2007 only n no known fix??? Huntington shop which is where it was bought n worked on told HD we just thought it had a problem?? repair orders have mysteriously disappeared too. Finally get a call rep is here come meet him well was told to be there at noon come back home at 4pm no rep showed, next day had to close the ol mans business to take it back in the rain n they looked n worked n told us yeah def has a problem, well duh we knew that, then take ol man to diner they are suppose to do alignment, well this dealership has no way to do a alignment although they have told us before they done it so they take the front wheel off n shave a bushing dont tell us send it out door we go for a ride hear something n they tried to move tire over, damn they got the tire touching n rubbing fender n brake rotor is now bent fender screwed up, wow and all this from our local Harley shop, We love the bike n know we shouldve got rid of it but got alot of memories, gonna get one a little more comfy for long rides but the problem is they dont want to give nothing for this one pay off n $3000 yeah, but anyways dont know what to do except maybe get a lawyer cause Im still pissed their last little stunt shaving the bushing could have got us killed. Just can't believe HD would do people like that when the shit cost so much. Right now would like to find someone out of the HD corp to look at it and maybe give us a honest answer. So if u guys have the time again whatcha think, or what would u all do now? Or do u know of anyone around or near Huntington WV we could get to look at it? Thanks again for your input n help. PS we thought about the motor mounts but when he asked them they told him they didnt have to take motor all the way off, could this be true? Dont look like that would be possable but I dont know.
  • July 10, 2011 1:16 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    I have never heard of this problem with any bike. I would accept the trade offer. Something is seriously wrong with that bike. I wonder if it had ever been wrecked.
    Hasnt been wrecked by us but thats what everyone seems to be thinking even us
  • July 10, 2011 2:10 AM PDT
    man that sounds like they screwed up the alignment. both tires on the same side? or opposite sides on the tires? at low speed, like in a parking lot, does it try to "dip" to one side more than the other?
    • 567 posts
    July 10, 2011 2:55 AM PDT
    I don't think I could ever put up with that kind of aggravation from my bike .. let alone the staggering cost.
    Is it just the back tire that's wearing so badly? Or is it both tires?
    I will tell ya one possible remedy. I'm a member of a Vulcan Riders club. And, several members have gone to car tires as a replacement for their rear tire .. mag rims only. I was talking with one club member last night and he said he already had 22,000 miles on the rear and it still had plenty of good tread. Also, no drop off in performance. He's even ridden down the Tail of the Dragon with no problems.
  • July 10, 2011 2:56 AM PDT
    this is the old man that owns the tire wearing 07 fat boy took the bike with 6400 miles to the shop for the recall where the bear cans chew up frt fender decided to have a 103 kit with cams and race tuner installed decided to have new tires installed didnt really need them but was winter and wanted to be ready to roll by summer. well got the bike back and dealer damaged frt wheel ,primary cover.well they said would you take 08 take off frt wheel said sure went to have that put on and they relized it was different so they ordered me a new wheel and primary cover had that put on rode about 1100 miles and when you came off interstate with no braking handle bars would shake.took back to dealer they said was the steering bearings so they took apart and did there thing keep in mind I told them both tires were wearing and chopped excessive well after they did what they did to the steering call me to say they was going to replace both tire well shake was gone.well at about 1500 miles took it back to dealer because there was more wear on the rigt sides of tires than left 3/32nd service mgr said dunlop tires were junk and maybe should get a different brand well at that tie no one made any so at 2900 mile both frt and rear tires were replaced well finally found different brand of tires installed them still same problem so after 6 sets of tires keep in mind I got 6400 mile out of first set and would have gotten alot moreI called harley took the bike to dealer service mgr said he would call service rep well last week get a call rep will be there next day at noon so i shut my business down go down there at 11:30 set there till 4:00 pm no rep I go home call harley and let the have it.well they say wear is not there problem and they had talked to dealer and they said I think I have a problem well I said I will give you a week and I will be in contact with a attorney because I felt they were bsing me well next day rep wants to see tire and bike so shut business down go down there at 1pm rep more than freindly rode bike said he felt a issue with it and wanted to know if dealer had alinement bars service mgr said whats that well alinement was supose to be ckd when first set of tire wore out at 1100 mile .well they want to ck this and that .well rep gets me away from service area whick has glass windows offer to buy me lunck I refuse well after he ate he finds me looking around dealer ship and said were get close and have you thought about trading up Isaid yes I will get rid of it if it cant be fixed but difference is after pay off i get $3000.00 makes me sick to know I got 28000 plus add ons well hesaid would have to bring back to get alinement ckd well this was a rainy day rep gives me a $150.00 rain suit well get home 2 days later clean up bike hear rubbing sound on left tur moving bike around like bike up cant find noise well go for a ride to eat find that tire is rubbind fender on left side paint gone tire rubber gone well haul back home find the spacer on the left side only shows 2 groves have pictures of it with 3 groves both sides hve 3 on spacers also see brake caliper pistons uneven so guess they filed spacer down to move whell to left they never rode this bike after repairs and if lifted up dont rub but why atemp to move wheel with out alinement bars well guess its attorney time now
  • July 10, 2011 2:57 AM PDT
    both tires
  • July 11, 2011 4:45 AM PDT
    This really sux! Got a motorcycle n great weather n cant ride its BS! And our so called local HD shop dont wanna do nothing, all we want is a fix or a motorcycle dont think thats too much to ask from them but guess they think it is, wont even return calls now. Dont think they understand this last time they sent it out was totally stupid we really could have been killed over their stupidness!
    • 3006 posts
    July 12, 2011 1:49 PM PDT
    This sounds like a dealership service dept gone bad to me,someone f'd up the bike while it was in the shop,and it sounds like they could care less if you sue or not.
    had my bike in shop for fuel pump replacement under warranty,took 12 days before I had her back,they scratched my pipes,small yet noticable,broke rear view mirror stock,& let it sit out in the weather most of that time in their backlot,it wasnt cleaned at all,then had the nerve to say the mirror was broke when I brought it in,I guess the look in my eye told the service guy I didnt bring it in like that,they gave me a new one almost 30 days later after numerous calls abt it,dont matter metric or american,there are crappy service people out there.
    you should be able to recover for the entire amount of a new bike & keep the current one ,plus damages for lost work time etc,make up a log of what went down & when
    • 19007 posts
    July 13, 2011 2:52 AM PDT
    Gather all of your documentation, send copies directly to HD headquarters. If that fails to get action contact a lawyer. As you describe it this situation is bull crap. The dealer NEEDS to be made accountable PERIOD
  • July 13, 2011 6:54 AM PDT
    anyone out there with a 07 fatboy has to be 07 can you tell me how many rings are on the frt wheel spacers sure both of mine had 3 picture isnt real clear that I have thanks
    • 3006 posts
    July 13, 2011 7:49 AM PDT
    blue,have you tried to find a microfiche OEM/Harley file online showing the different prts? I often use an online microfiche for my Honda supplied by a aftermarket OEM parts supplier.the microfiche should show all the parts broken down for the fatboy.
  • July 14, 2011 1:21 AM PDT
    what i am wanting to know i dont think the fish will show on the frt wheel spacers there are groves cut into spacer was sure both of mine had 3 groves cut in them now have 1 with 3 rt side 1 with 2 left side picture i have of my bike before was taken with cell phone but looks like 3 groves 06 and 08 are different think they put 08 or newer spacer on my bike to more tire over now tire rub you can see this by just lookig at the spacer
    • 2 posts
    July 19, 2011 5:16 AM PDT
    When the bike is on a flat surface and you are holding it straight up, does it feel balanced, or is the balance point with the bike leaning slightly off to one side. Some stock Harleys are not "center balanced". It depends on enging/primary offset, weight of the exhaust, and how the saddlebag contents are evened out. If the bike is out of balance when holding it up, the person riding it will compensate by riding with the bike slightly leaned to one side and the onesided tire wear results.
  • July 20, 2011 8:56 AM PDT
    ALL shops can do motor mount alignment... just depends on who is doing the aligning, no special tools required.
  • August 1, 2011 4:12 AM PDT
    Rear tires can easily wear out within 3000 miles, especially if they say Dunlop on the side or you have had engine work done. High torque=increased wear. Different rubber compounds wear significantly different between brands.

Wearing out on the sides happens if the rear wheel is out of alignment or you ride in windy conditions. Road crowning has the same affect on long distance rides.

How is the belt wear? from the rear, does the front and rear tire appear in line? Can you let go of the bars when riding?

Have a friend follow you and look for signs of leaning or bad posture compensating for out of alignment issues.
  • August 11, 2011 3:37 AM PDT
    OK its been awhile so figured I'd update n tell evry1 thanks for the replies, the ole man is fixing hisself, new 08 wheels, chrome forks o8 , new shocks looking real good now n cant spell but panelly tires still needs a few things but to hell with Charlies HD in Huntington, WV, we know they screwed it up hd headquarters said the were not responsable, Charlies said they couldnt fix then called back n said for $200 up front they could fix ,huh, plus they also wanted to say wasnt enough money spent there, wow, bet they wish they wouldve got what was just spent at Charleston HD shop because besides a couple grand for parts there was about $700 spent in clothes
    • 844 posts
    August 11, 2011 9:04 AM PDT
    Well be sure to let us know if the tire wear problem goes away!
  • August 12, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
    Will do GoFur still need a few things yet but better than what it was, and we will make Rally on the River which I think is great!