Idel to high

• May 27, 2011 3:06 PM PDT
    04 Dyna  Wide Glide is having an ideling problem. Way to high. I was told it was the idel control vavle. Nop not the problem. New valve same problem. Any ideas? Forgot to tell you it was fuel injected also.
    • 1 posts
    May 28, 2011 12:25 PM PDT
    Idle is actrually set electronically with a device called a Scanalyizer, and you probably don't have one.

Two very common causes for a high idle if nothing on the bike has been changed since it was running ok...

First check to see if when the throttle is released that it is going all the way back to the stop screw (see picture below).  If it is not then either your throttle cable is binding or needs to be adjusted to allow some play.  The throttle cable should be adjusted so that there is a tiny bit of slack.  When you turn the throttle a hiar the should be free play.

Second check and see if the butterfly stop screw has backed out (see picture below).

• May 28, 2011 8:18 PM PDT
    Check the garage history section for harleys, I believe Lucky had this exact problem last August time frame and there were lots of post with advise on this matter.

Good memory Wheels, here is a link to that forum

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson/SUPER-HIGH-IDLE---HELP-59939-1.html />
    • 5418 posts
    May 29, 2011 2:38 AM PDT
    Yep, I did and it wound up being the idle screw.
  • May 29, 2011 3:38 PM PDT
    Took the bike into harley. They changed the IAC. I'll find out what else they did to it on tuesday (hopefuly nothing else) when I go pick up the bike. Just glade that we got the problem taken care of now and not on the road somewere. Leaving on vacation next week