Help small oil leak

• April 22, 2011 8:25 AM PDT
    I have a 2003 road king police model with fule injection. When the bike is on the kick stand i have noticed oil on the very bottom of the primary cover and a few drops on the floor of the garage. i felt on the bottom and back of the center of the primary case and there was oil there also. I just need advice would i be better of purchasing a complete kit with the entire gasket set and new seals. i am ordering the service manual and am new to working on bikes but im excited about doing my own work. i ride the bike daily and it has 20k miles on it.
  • April 22, 2011 11:38 PM PDT
    the first thing I would is pin point where the leak is coming from, it may not be the primary cover but just traveling to the lowest point. I would clean the area real good with brake cleaner than powder the entire area with baby powder or flower than just let the bike set overnight, you will be able to tell just where the oil is coming from
    • 9 posts
    April 22, 2011 11:48 PM PDT
    bullmoose wrote...
    the first thing I would is pin point where the leak is coming from, it may not be the primary cover but just traveling to the lowest point. I would clean the area real good with brake cleaner than powder the entire area with baby powder or flower than just let the bike set overnight, you will be able to tell just where the oil is coming from

Now thats a great hint! Very helpful.

• 19007 posts
    April 23, 2011 12:43 AM PDT
    YEAH WHAT THEY SAID!
    • 5419 posts
    April 23, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
    Wow Moose, I have never heard the powder/flower trick before. I always clean, then have the toughest time finding the trail with a flashlight! Thanks
    • 33 posts
    April 23, 2011 9:50 AM PDT
    Some of the older ones have tapered plugs. Doubtful its the whole outer primary gasket, more likely the derby cover gasket or most likely the drain plug o-ring. But without seeing it... could be any one of several areas...
  • April 23, 2011 1:28 PM PDT
    I like using the flower it seems to stick better, just take a hand full and throw it at the bottom of the motor
  • April 23, 2011 2:17 PM PDT
    if it's dripping from the drain plug just use plumbers pipe putty, I call it pipe dope. If it's just a few drops most likely it's from riding and heating up and then dripping shortly thereafter and no more.
    If it's a primary gasket, easy fix.
    • 58 posts
    April 24, 2011 1:41 PM PDT
    I ride an 05 road king police and have found that the drain plug would back out a bit. The oil showed up in the places you just mentioned. Tightened the plug and check periodically now. Hasn't leaked since.
  • April 25, 2011 1:10 AM PDT
    Thank yall for all the awsome advice im about to throw some flower on it now ill let yall know what i find.
  • April 26, 2011 9:55 PM PDT
    re: flower...you gonna use petunias or carnations? Gold Medal FLOUR would probably work better, LOL!!
  • April 28, 2011 12:41 PM PDT
    I used gold bond foot powder i hiked before i biked lol. Of course it stopped leaking now. ill will just keep an eye on it thank yall im a newbie wrench.
  • April 28, 2011 12:45 PM PDT
    I used gold bond foot powder i hiked before i biked lol. Of course it stopped leaking now. ill will just keep an eye on it thank yall im a newbie wrench.