Dyna Beads

• 2 posts
    April 7, 2011 2:48 PM PDT
     I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post "shop talk" so, I posted it in Off Topics too but,...Dyna Beads, anyone use them? 

It's a very interesteing product and I can see the benifits from a laymen's perspective of physics but, do they work?

I really like the idea of a self balancing medium and I can understand how ceramic beads could do far less damage to the tire then incorrect balance. I'm apprehensive to try them only because I haven't  had anyone, other then the manufacturer tout them so highly. 

www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm type="_moz" />
    • 3006 posts
    April 7, 2011 3:37 PM PDT
    Have read about them myself & have heard similiar claims for a liquid tire balancing agent thats injected into the inflated tires.I use a product in my tubed tires thats for small leaks n such,n run it all the time.If it enhances the balance of the tire I am unsure as I usually bring in wheel to dealer for mount & balancing new rubber.I put the tire slime in once I am home.

In principle it sounds like a feasible idea.Either the dyna beads or liquid balancer.Yet I do not know anyone personally who use's the dyna beads.
    • 58 posts
    April 7, 2011 4:57 PM PDT
    Something similar is used a lot on big trucks and my dad used something like it in the 70's on his Cadillac. The setup for cars and trucks is a ring that mounts to the lugs behind the wheel. Seems to work.
    • 130 posts
    April 7, 2011 5:18 PM PDT
    I've been using Dynabeads in my Honda Valkyrie and in wife's Honda Magna.  The beads perform as advertised.
    Both bikes have cast wheels.

• April 8, 2011 4:21 AM PDT
    Back in the 90s I put tennis balls in my big rig to balance the tires and it worked well. I have heard about this for trucks. But this is the first for bikes. My Road King is to dam smooth now and I don’t think they will help my old shovelhead.
    • 0 posts
    April 8, 2011 6:13 AM PDT
    I have used them and while they are ok, for the long term you are better off just balancing the tire. They work well while driving on the hwy, but for stop and go they are not that good, because they take a little driving to disperse and balance. So, in the long run you will end up with a little more cupping on the tires.

You can balance your own tires with a little patience and a pair of identical jack stands and you are better off.

just my opinion from using them.
    • 1364 posts
    April 8, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
    Most of the guys I know that ride Big Dog Choppers swear by them.....
    • 2072 posts
    April 8, 2011 6:49 AM PDT
    Been using Dyna Beads for a couple of years now and love 'em. Running a Goodyear Triple Tread car tire on the back of my Boulevard and it runs very smooth at all speeds. Problem with conventional tire balancing is as the tire wears the balancing changes. So theoretically, as soon as your tire hits blacktop its balance changes. With Dyna Beads the entire wheel assembly stays in balance. I worked in a front end shop years ago and we ALWAYS balanced tires ON the car. Reason..... everything gets balances that way including the brake drums ect.
    • 1 posts
    April 8, 2011 7:59 AM PDT
    I've not tried them myself, but I have heard many people talk about them (including other mechanics) and everyone of them has said that they do work. Have not heard anyone that felt it was a scam or got ripped off.
    • 2 posts
    April 8, 2011 4:01 PM PDT
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm definitely getting good feedback here.
    • 2 posts
    April 8, 2011 4:19 PM PDT
    GaryTJ, that was actually one of my concerns. I live in an urban area and I have to go deal with "stop and go" on a regular basis. I was concerned that the beads may be ineffective in my riding conditions. I usually have to go a minimum of 20 miles before I get to open road.
  • April 11, 2011 6:45 AM PDT
    hmmmm yeah I've heard of this in big commercial trucks and some limos but wow in motorcycles? I would just have my rims trued every so often and have the tires balanced.
    • 834 posts
    April 14, 2011 11:12 AM PDT
    This is the first I ever heard of them. sounds interesting
  • May 4, 2011 1:09 AM PDT
    have been using them for the last 3 years, they do a great job!