Blackline Dark Custom

• 9 posts
    March 28, 2011 7:20 AM PDT

I am a sportster girl from way back. But now, I'm seriously considering an upgrade, and I'd like some feedback.  I took a 1200Low for a test-ride, and loved it. But sittin' right next to it was this beauty called the Blackline Dark Custom. A softail with the low lean look I prefer. A rigid, but that isn't what makes it appealing. Check it out on any Harley page. What I want to know is, if there are any Dark Custom owners out there, and what are your thoughts. Or, aside from that, if anyone has test ridden, or heard from anyone else about this bike. I like to make well informed decisions, especially when finances are involved. I need to know about this bike's "track" record, from people whom I know will be honest with me. I don't want to jump the gun, before the facts are in. I'd appreciate any info, ya'll can share.  Ride Free

Tweek

• 0 posts
    March 28, 2011 8:53 AM PDT
    Ive worked on and ridden the nightster a bit..Bloody fun little scoot and with a set of after market pipes the little bugger cracks along ok to..Who woulda thought all that time ago when i blacked out my old ironhead to avoid polishing that it was something that was gonna catch on? CHEERS BOOF
  • March 28, 2011 5:44 PM PDT
    There are tons of used bikes out there and alot of the owners are really just dumping them before they lose them. Take your time looking and don't be afraid to travel a bit. I like the 1200low you were looking at but the "rigid", there nice to look at but after a couple hundred miles, well I'm sure you know what I mean. Have you checked out the new victories?
  • March 29, 2011 3:57 PM PDT
    I think it is a mild redesign of a Softail so should be blast to ride and plenty reliable.Looks good on paper anyway lol...good luck!
  • March 30, 2011 5:12 AM PDT
    I am a very small woman and bought a Dyna Lowrider. It's low enough for me to fit my feet firmly on the ground, the balance is great and very stable and comfortable to ride. I often have people (mostly women) come up to me and tell me that they ride a sportster and I am so much smaller than they are and I ride a "Big Ol'Bike". I purchased the Lowrider because we go on long trips and the suspension seems to be a better ride. Love, love, love my bike !!!
    • 9 posts
    March 30, 2011 5:21 AM PDT

RaceAngel wrote...

I am a very small woman and bought a Dyna Lowrider. It's low enough for me to fit my feet firmly on the ground, the balance is great and very stable and comfortable to ride. I often have people (mostly women) come up to me and tell me that they ride a sportster and I am so much smaller than they are and I ride a "Big Ol'Bike". I purchased the Lowrider because we go on long trips and the suspension seems to be a better ride. Love, love, love my bike !!!

Hey RaceAngel,

My ex and I owned a '79 Low Rider. (AMF) And while I rode it a couple of times, I was mostly on the back of that particular bike. I did like it, but I like a smaller tank. I find my center of gravity off, with a wider gas tank. The Dark Custom has the option of a smaller tank, while still being a "big ol' bike. It's only a matter of time, but I really am leaning towards this one. It's long, lean, and low. Come to think of it, I like my men the same way...LMAO!  Ride Free

Tweek  (sorry honey, I meant "liked" my men that way...)

• 844 posts
    March 31, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
    Is a very cool looking bike. I am just way past riding a rigid ever again, been there done that...especially one with such a narrow rear tire. When I did ride a rigid, I had a super wide rear tire, and believe it or not, that did absorb some of the bumps.
  • March 31, 2011 3:59 AM PDT
    The Blackline is not a hard tail it is a softail, nice looking bike. Seams like a lot of money for a striped down bike. If you are hard set on a HD looks like a very good choice. However I will cautiously suggest you look at the new Vic High Ball, a lot of bike for the money, has a lower seat is getting some very good reviews. Options are good, test rides are free.

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/ />
    • 19004 posts
    March 31, 2011 9:17 AM PDT
    I will ask, do you do any overnight runs? Can't carry much on that bike. I would suggest you also look at the Deluxe (it is more expensive), but if it is the look that is important then the Blackline would be it. I like the slammed look. As for durability, since it is basically a bare bones soft-tail there are hundreds of thousands of soft-tails on the road. It has a 21inch front tire too. A great look but the nature of that beast is that it suffers some handling problems, and can be pretty squirrley on grooved roads.
    • 5417 posts
    March 31, 2011 9:44 AM PDT
    It is one really nice looking machine, and if I could have two bikes would probably consider it...but I need the shocks and cushy seat on my Road King for the long hauls.  and like Mike said... can't carry too much on this one.

By the way...here's what it looks like.....
    • 9 posts
    March 31, 2011 1:26 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    It is one really nice looking machine, and if I could have two bikes would probably consider it...but I need the shocks and cushy seat on my Road King for the long hauls.  and like Mike said... can't carry too much on this one.

By the way...here's what it looks like.....

Oh yea, that's the one! I drooled over it's twin on the showroom floor. Black would be the only choice for me. It's stealthy. Bout the only thing I'd change besides the tank, (which I'm reconsidering) is the wheels. I'm partial to mags. And I hate cleaning spokes. As far as carrying, I use a backpack and I tend to pack lite, so that really ain't an issue for me.  Nothing's in concrete at the moment, so I'll take any suggestions ya'll have...RIDE FREE

Tweek

• 19004 posts
    March 31, 2011 11:56 PM PDT
    Since packing isn't a problem then go for it. If you like it, DO IT! This life is not a rehearsal.
    • 846 posts
    April 1, 2011 6:25 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Since packing isn't a problem then go for it. If you like it, DO IT! This life is not a rehearsal.

There isn't much to add to Mike's comments. It is a sharp looking bike.
  • April 2, 2011 8:33 AM PDT
    I know you are a sportster gal, but have ya considered one of the "other" ridrs? Lookin' at the new Star Stryker and that is one good lookin ride! Just a thought. 1304 cc and a real attractive price, before accessories of course.