Average travel speed

• March 20, 2011 3:55 PM PDT
    I was wondering what's the average speed when you ride (country road and Interstate)? And what bike are you riding?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mortonrider
    • 0 posts
    March 20, 2011 5:18 PM PDT
    Bloody fast on an old noisey one mate.......but then i stop for pubs so the bloody slow new ones catch up....CHEERS BOOF
    • 5417 posts
    March 20, 2011 5:30 PM PDT
    Through the twisties I tend to keep a reasonable speed...mainly cause I'm lazy and don't like to shift that much

On straighter roads, open country or highway I do like to run at a fairly good pace...usually 85+ on the Road King.
  • March 20, 2011 8:00 PM PDT
    I tend to cruise on both with the wife on board but when I'm by myself i try to maintain a pretty good clip about 85 or so on the freeways and were riding a Streetglide.
    • 1364 posts
    March 20, 2011 11:11 PM PDT
    Fast enough to keep up with Deener !!!!!
    • 58 posts
    March 21, 2011 2:02 AM PDT
    I try to stay away from the interstates - no fun riding. Usually although not always successful, stick to around the speed limit. Especially now that my wife is on the back seat I'm taking it easy. I ride a Road King.
    • 846 posts
    March 21, 2011 2:16 AM PDT
    Usually 5-10 miles over most posted speed limit for back roads and highways. I’ve tried the speed limit but that only works for a while. Then I feel it creeping up to what I feel comfortable with on the road I riding on which falls into that 5-10 range. If I’m riding with someone else I try for the 5 over max. With a passenger I try to stick with the speed limit. My ride is a 09 Road King as you can see.
    • 3006 posts
    March 21, 2011 3:55 AM PDT
    I ride at or around the limit,tho that changes given circumstance or conditions..2am on interstate,no other vehicle in sight,fast as I feel ok with
  • March 21, 2011 4:10 AM PDT
    It all boils down to what type of road you are on, traffic, and a speed you are comfy with.
  • March 21, 2011 11:50 AM PDT
    I ride I-12 (N.O. La.)... everyday to work... I unaffectionately call it the "I-12 Autobahn"....since the speed limit is 70mph...everybody is trying to push you to a higher speed. I stay in the left lane and I usually cruise on my StreetGlide btw 70-75mph.
    • 567 posts
    March 21, 2011 12:09 PM PDT
    I'm usually about 5 mph faster than the posted speed limits on backroads .. except in the curves where I tend to follow the posted limits tho not necessarily as slow as the "recommended" curve speed.
    I try to stay away from the interstates but sometimes that's where the 1700 Nomad has to go .. and that's usually 80 mph. Thank goodness for electronic cruise control.
  • March 21, 2011 6:31 PM PDT
    Around 80. Faster when I know I can get away with it.
  • March 21, 2011 7:41 PM PDT
    about 80...I ride a custom road king stroked to 129 cubic inches (2113 CCs)
    • 2 posts
    March 22, 2011 3:18 AM PDT
    2 lane, hi-crown blacktop, twisties? - 50 to 70MPH, depending of scenery.
    Packed gravel or dirt? - do'no, can't take eyes off of road to look @ speedo
    Ordinary state & county roads? - keep up w/ traffic
    Interstate, slab? - what is that?

• March 30, 2011 10:45 PM PDT
    Usually about 70 on the highway, just to keep up with traffic. I'm more cumfy at 55 when that's the speed limit. I ride 1200cc Evo Sporty with 4-speed tranny. 4000rpm = 72mph.
  • March 30, 2011 11:02 PM PDT
    On back roads I like to cruise and do the speed limits usually!! On 95 Im always ahead of the traffic usually 85 on my 06 Fatboy!
  • March 30, 2011 11:16 PM PDT
    Usually 5 to 10 mph above the posted limit. Same as I do in a cage. The Fat Boy feels ok at faster speeds, but I'm never in a big hurry to get anywhere.
    • 19007 posts
    March 31, 2011 12:13 AM PDT
    Old and slow. In the cage or on the bike posted speed limit. Never have to worry about speeding tickets. Occasionally will pump it up and peddal hard to get out of a traffic bunch

On back roads and twisties conditions and road familiarity set the speed but I usually push it a bit there. My current philosophy is " I have nowhere to go and all day to get there."
  • March 31, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
    Victory kingpin.

• April 1, 2011 4:01 AM PDT
    Yall make me feel like an old man. But I’m with RexTheRoadDog on this one, old and slow. I keep up with traffic mostly. Back roads take it slow enjoy the view. You miss so much by going by it too fast.
  • April 1, 2011 4:02 AM PDT
    Yall make me feel like an old man. But I’m with RexTheRoadDog on this one, old and slow. I keep up with traffic mostly. Back roads take it slow enjoy the view. You miss so much by going by it too fast.
  • April 1, 2011 4:26 AM PDT
    Wow. Is there an auto-pilot on that jbasile?
  • April 15, 2011 4:29 PM PDT
    I usually do 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit
  • April 16, 2011 2:19 AM PDT
    sjsak1 wrote...
    Wow. Is there an auto-pilot on that jbasile?
    LOL !!  No, just me!  I just try to keep the bike moving on the way home from a journey. I typically ride 2 lane pavement on the way to a destination and interstate on the way home.  That trip there was a straight shot last summer from Forristel Mo. to Rochester NY.  If it werent for the mess on I-80 at the south side of Chicago my stopped time would have been well under 1 hour.  No need to speed when you dont stop much. 

EDIT:  I've learned over the years that I really enjoy going solo on long trips.  Most people I've ridden with want to stop every 50-75 miles for an hour.  You just cant get anywhere with riders like that.  Took me 4 1/2 days to ride to Galveston Texas with just 2 other riders year before last.  Average speed on that trip was under 35 mph due to all the stops.

jb

• April 16, 2011 3:34 PM PDT
    Man sometimes I'll look down and catch myself goin over 90 and realize that the State Patrol are comfy in the donut shop!