ride skyline drive

• March 19, 2011 2:45 PM PDT
    Never been there.  anybody have info on what to see    and where to stay.   one other thing, anything about the weather in august
    • 33 posts
    March 20, 2011 1:15 AM PDT
    Lots of Skyline drives... with the August mention, I assume you mean Skylin Drive in Rapid City?
    I've been there, it's kinda cool, lots of twisty turns but it's real short. Honestly it's nothing compared to Iron Mountain!

Weather in August will be Hot, Dry, Wet, Hail, Windy, Calm, basically prepare for anything
  • March 20, 2011 11:10 AM PDT
    You talking about Blue Ridge Skyline? Haven't done it, yet. Lots of web pages, just google it.
  • March 21, 2011 12:18 AM PDT
    Sorry Maddog  I meant Skyline drive  VA. but thanks anyway.  Will have to make plans for another ride.
    • 58 posts
    March 21, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
    I think most every state in the country has a skyline drive, except maybe Iowa.
    • 33 posts
    March 21, 2011 2:04 AM PDT
    Iowa's skyline is called Nebraska LOL
    • 58 posts
    March 21, 2011 2:43 AM PDT
    ROFL
  • March 25, 2011 8:06 AM PDT
    I get on Skyline Drive at Luray, off 211 (which is itself a good ride) I have been both directions from Luray. Be sure to have a full tank before you hop on and keep in mind the 35 mph speed limit! :-) I think it is either $10 or $15 to ride it but last summer I bought a year's pass for $30. I was there the first time this season this past Tuesday.
    • 2 posts
    April 8, 2011 2:21 AM PDT
    Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway is one of my favorite rides. I have done it many time. If you combine both roads for a nice long run. It's around 230 mi from Roanoke to Front Royal but, it will take anywhere from 6.5 to 8 hrs without breaks as the road is slow going and can be packed with sightseers (especially in the fall). If you want to break it up there are plenty of hotels and nightlife in Charlottesville. Charlottesville is about halfway between Roanoke and Front Royal. You can exit the BR Parkway onto RT 250 and take 250 east into Charlottesville or take 250 to Interstate 64 if you want to do it the fast way. Have a great ride!
    • 2 posts
    April 8, 2011 2:26 AM PDT
    I highly recommend breaking the trip up. If you start in Front Royal you can get a park map when you enter which will give you a break down of areas you might like to stop and take a little hike. There are lots of great views, waterfalls...etc, you may like to see. If you try to do it in one day, you'll feel rushed and will miss a lot of the things the park has to offer.
    • 2 posts
    April 8, 2011 2:30 AM PDT
    Oh, and as Steve mentioned make sure your tank is full. There are no gas stations on the route so, you will need to exit to refuel.
    • 5 posts
    April 8, 2011 3:06 AM PDT
    We have a Sky Line drive in Canon City, CO but they found a dead kid there the other day.