National Guard

• 1516 posts
    March 3, 2011 1:17 PM PST
    I think that my son would do really good by entering the National Guards.

I would love to hear from anyone with experience with them and any information that would be helpful.

He is 19 years old and had his High School Diploma.  He lacks experience with the world and team work and discipline. He is a very good kid and thinks that he wants to go into  this sort of stuff..

I am him Mom and I need people I trust to tell me about thier experience with this sort of stuff.

Tell me more.....

and just as a side note.. I looked over and there is an ad for the National Guard to the right of my screen.. hmmm
  • March 3, 2011 2:08 PM PST
    Very carefully study the MOS options to find something that will keep the interest peaked during his enlistment.
    • 58 posts
    March 3, 2011 3:41 PM PST
    National Guard is a little different from Regular Army in that MOS options can be limited. What does the local NG unit have for MOS's? How far is he willing/able to travel to be with a unit with jobs more to his taste/inclination? Last, and probably most important, if it isn't in writing...It Isn't! If what the recruiter says isn't there, don't sign until it is there!
  • March 4, 2011 12:04 AM PST
    My son is in Minnesota Guard. Had construction, Heavy equipment, operations, communication and command units around us. Good education can be had but needs to INVESTIGATE AND DOCUMENT before committing.

My son is this week trainning for flood rescue in Minnesota.  Prep for the winter thaw.   
    • 19007 posts
    March 4, 2011 12:33 AM PST
    He DebroJo, send Steven a PM. He is a member.
    My experience, which was quite a while ago, is that it is a good possibility given all the precautions listed by more knowledgeable members above.
    Military service can give someone focus and direction but keep aware that all it offers can come at a price. To discount that price will be a mistake. To sum this up Joining the National Guard is an honorable and intelligent thing to do but be aware of all aspects.
  • March 4, 2011 3:02 AM PST
    My father-in-law retired from the California Air National Guard and he always spoke highly of it. I myself retired from the Airforce and I had very little contact with the reserves but in my opinion it is a great oppurtunity to learn some skills and broaden your horizons. Like some of the other members mentioned above make sure you get all of what the recruiter is promising in writing. There are lots of different MOSs(jobs) in the guard and the Airforce reserve even has more so make sure your son gives them a look while he is making his decision ok. Just my opinion of course but the Airforce treats their people better than the rest of the other branches of military.
    • 1516 posts
    March 4, 2011 3:37 AM PST
    Thank you to everyone for your input. I know that there is a lot to consider and I am nervous to head off into something like this without people like all of you pointing me in the right direction.

Only the best people are on Cyclefish!!
  • March 5, 2011 7:43 PM PST
    Debrajo...I joined the NG when I was 17 with my dads permission and signature, I was planning on going Full Army after boot...my deployment to boot was delayed because of my age so the year I had to wait I still went on weekend manuvers...I learned a hell of a lot about personal responsibilities, team work and self disipline,,,having said that I give him two thumbs up......YES It will help shape him into the man he can be....
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
  • March 5, 2011 11:57 PM PST
    It's been a while for me also, but one thing will never change. Regardless of what is promised, in writting or verbally (which means nothing), the needs of the military ALWAYS come first.
  • March 6, 2011 12:00 AM PST
    It's been a while for me also, but one thing will never change. Regardless of what is promised, in writting or verbally (which means nothing), the needs of the military ALWAYS come first. The military is a great place for learning teamwork, responsibility to the team as well as to yourself, and disicpline.
  • March 6, 2011 6:34 AM PST
    One of my sons is now 20 and has been in the NG since he was 17. He is hoping to go full time with them very soon. For him it was the right choice. It did do him a world of good in his growing and maturing. As mentioned before just make sure everything is in writing. I am very proud of him. He chose to join even after his older brother was deployed to Iraq twice. It can be a very good option for the right person.
    • 1 posts
    March 6, 2011 10:15 AM PST
    I have been in the Guard for 26 years and still going strong, all of the advice here is spot on. My suggestion definitely look over the contract, remember recruiters focus is to meet their quota. If he is going to join then he will take the ASVAB test which determines what MOS's that is he qualified for. So, it will be who of him to score high. Higher his score the more options he will have. He should be willing to travel. In the Maryland National Guard soldiers who travel more than 50 miles from home will be put up in a hotel at the Guard's expense. Also, with that he will be able to claim miles and meals on his income taxes. DebraJo there are tons more, if you have any questions let me know.
    • 1516 posts
    March 6, 2011 10:22 AM PST
    Thanks so much, I will, I am sure have more questions as soon as we get to the next step. Thanks and thanks again.
    • 1516 posts
    January 23, 2012 2:17 PM PST
    Ok, this was a while ago and things have changed some, now he is getting himself ready to go into the Airforce.. any suggestions warnings or advice anyone has will be appreciated.
    • 611 posts
    January 23, 2012 2:43 PM PST
    Hey DebJo... My son went in the Air Force, was tested and qualified for the Military Intelligence Division (my son, MI? Go figure!) Served in Desert Storm, received 2 unit citations and was Airman of the month, TWICE! He was discharged 09/01/11... Yep, just before 9/11. He came within 3 days of being reactivated. He (& you) should always be aware of what serving in our country's armed forces means.
    The ultimate sacrifice... his life. Face it, own it and then accept what your son decides.
    Oh, MOS? Military Occupational Specialty...or My Occupational Sadism... There are a few more...
    Edge Walker
    • 1161 posts
    January 23, 2012 10:42 PM PST
    My uncle retired from the Air force. My best friend retired from the Air Force. And my mom works on an Air Force base. It is good if you get it in your contract, and if he had any JROTC in school he can go in as a higher rank with the CO of the program. When I went into the Army I went in as an E-3 and not an E-1 (more pay). But the military needs to be thought. The recruiters have been known to get their "quota". But make sure it is in the contract and (mos) job He wants to peruse. And if he decides not to make it a career make sure it is something that can be transferred into the civilian work world as well.

And to your son I salute him for wanting to serve in the military!

Just a thought from an Army Vet so I may be way off base for Air Force jobs but from talking to Jon ( my best friend and riding buddy) there is all sorts of conversions to the civilian life style and still make good money.
    • 1855 posts
    January 24, 2012 12:16 AM PST
    The air force is not going to be experiencing the cuts that the rest of the military will be. Technical jobs/training will be in high demand both in the Navy and the Air Force. Ground forces (Army, Marines) will still be needed but on a more limited to basis. My son-in-law just retired, well next month, (Master Sgt) from the Air Force after 22 years active. It's been a good career for him. But he has a wife that has stood by him without any complaints all those years; going with him when re-assigned or staying put if need be. One thing he did was to keep up on all the training the Air Force offered; attending as many training courses in and out of his field as the AF would permit. It's been a good life for him and his family; challenging but satisfying. They'll be settling down in Alaska. When he was stationed there the wife and kids just loved it so they've decided to retire there. Alaska? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Peace
    • 19007 posts
    January 24, 2012 12:27 AM PST
    Being retired full time active duty AF myself I will say that it is a good choice. But will add that he must be very aware he is giving the US Govt a blank check and they can (and often will) call on him to do whatever they want. He can benefit from the trade but nothing in this world is truly free.
    I met many national guard members over the years that were doing well. I also me a few that were not. Their unit was activated and they went from weekend warriors with good paying full time jobs to being full time active duty with a big reduction in pay.

Bottom line, be aware of all aspects and only believe half of what the recruiter says. It can be a great life.
    • 1516 posts
    January 24, 2012 2:59 AM PST
    Ok, thanks guys, I am actually very nervous about the whole thing, but I guess I can't hold on to him forever. He is pretty set on all this now. I will make sure he reads your posts
    • 5417 posts
    January 24, 2012 3:15 AM PST
    No Deb you can't no matter how much you want to! I think that any time a young person makes a decision on their own to do something that moves them forward in life is a good thing, and the best thing you can do is support him and his decision. There are way too many kids just doing nothing because because they are waiting for someone to tell them what they should do next. Even if he decides it wasn't for him, he will gain valuable life experience - both from the military and from making the decision. Either way he will be leaps and bounds ahead of the kids who are doing nothing and wasting their young adult years.

From what you have told me about him he sounds like a great kid and I am sure he will do well.

Best of luck to him!
  • January 24, 2012 3:26 AM PST
    I went regular army. My time in the service was outstanding. I would caution that it depends on temperment. Not everyone is cut out for the military. If he has the desire, thats all thats really needed. Its a great opportunity. Plz let us know if he goes in. Wishing him well.
    • 9 posts
    January 24, 2012 3:49 AM PST
    Because of my credit situation, there is a distinct possibility that my son may have to drop out of college. And he says if that happens, HE is thinking of joining the military. Army I think, although we haven't discussed it much, because I had made him promise to graduate college first. Now, the situation, may force another decision, and I, like D.J., have trepidation about him joining the military. But I also know, that if that is what he wants, I really can't stand in his way. I was, however, hoping (if that happens) that he could sign up under the Delayed Entry Program.
    At least, they used to have that. Does anyone know, if that is still available, and would they pay for his schooling,
    if he was accepted into that program? I'm going to be doing my own research, but I'd like to hear from any of Ya'll,
    that have any personal experience with this. Or if you know where I could go to find out....??? Thanks.
    And I'm praying for both you and your son, DebraJo. This decision, ain't easy, for any of us.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1516 posts
    January 24, 2012 2:26 PM PST
    Yes it is a huge thing, he has been helping out here with my Mom who is not pretty much non-mobile now. He goes there everyday and makes sure that she eats. Now that is one more thing I have to figure out how to shove into my day. But the last thing she or I want is for him to put his life off to be available for lunch.
    I worry a lot about him going and not coming back, but that could actually happen when he goes to the store. Life isn't promised to any of us.
    Thanks everyone for the help.. I will keep you posted.
    • 1 posts
    January 24, 2012 3:50 PM PST
    So how did your son go, did he sign up for the National Guard?. Down here we have the Army reserve, similiar stuff as in the US. NG program. Commandos are Reservists, and get to go overseas when they are required. A mate in ND, signed on at the air NG  and was returned to his former Marine rank...That says something. I hope that if your son did join.He is having the time of his life.
    • 1516 posts
    January 25, 2012 2:44 AM PST
    He went to the recruiter office day before yesterday to talk to them and ask some questions. He now has a list of To Dos before he signs up. Shouldn't take him very long to get in shape and ready to go.