Do You Garage?

• 223 posts
    February 8, 2011 4:30 AM PST
    Or does your ride like all types of weather?  Does she sit in the garage or carport through the winter and rain, or does she sit outside and soak it all up like the summer sunshine?

Ours stays outside all the time, even though someone's tried to make off with her, we never close her up.  Not sure why... just never thought about it and since she doesn't seem to mind, we just let her hang there.  

How about yours?

• February 8, 2011 5:21 AM PST
      Only when on the road does my bike sit outside.    Here they lift (steal) the trash and garbage. If you want to get rid of something just put it outside in the yard.    Had a tv that was not worth fixing. Put outside by my car and it was gone in less than 3 minutes, old air conditioner, 20+ yrs, took less than 1 hr to leave the drive. I had to use my center jack to get it outside of the house because of the weight.    My Garage has locks insideand double locked outside while inside a locked gated fenced yard.    I also have personal protection available that both I and my wife know how to use effectively.   If there is someone on my bike I have invited them.
    • 6 posts
    February 8, 2011 5:41 AM PST
    I can't let my bike stay outside even if the weather is great. The only time she sits outside all day is when I take her to work with me or my wife and I are on a trip and then she doesn't mind sitting out all night. Otherwise She like to be pampered and she hates the rain. She looks as great as the day she was born. I love her and she has never let me down. and she rides like a lady. Also she love a complete check-up and inspection by me everytime we get ready for a ride.Wherever she goes people love her.....Shes a looker.
    • 846 posts
    February 8, 2011 5:51 AM PST
    I'm with Howard on this.  Mine stays outside only when I'm on the road. As I write this it is in warm storage for the winter. When it riding season its at the house in the garage (the truck stays outside). Its a one car garage that hasn't seen a car (or truck) in years. Here in the Northeast it not wise to leave a bike outside. The weather does a number on them even covered. My old Sportster was a basket case that was left outside for many New England winters. It took hours on end to get the damage done to the engine case and the chrome undone. In some cases it was easier to replace the parts.
  • February 8, 2011 6:16 AM PST
    My dyna sits in the garage downstairs and right now the snow is up to my elbows outside so there she stays till the snow is gone.
  • February 8, 2011 6:28 AM PST
    Mine stays in the garage when home. My sons bring theirs over to keep it company over the winter months.
    • 0 posts
    February 8, 2011 6:29 AM PST
    Like hgsc our bikes are protected from thieving bastards..We have a 6 foot fence all around 2 sets of locked gates and a double lock up garage..Our bikes are inside and covered when we arent riding them.At the end of the day here in the tropics the humidity roots up your alloy and we have a heap of drug f@cked thieving pricks who have been known to carry bikes over fences to steal them.Oh and I think the sound of a pump action shotgun being raked is the scariest sound in the world..CHEERS BOOF
  • February 8, 2011 9:23 AM PST
    Mine has her own spot in the garage. Parking next to mammas Edge gives her some company...LOL! I can't fit the truck in, so the ride definately enjoys it.
    • 58 posts
    February 8, 2011 9:36 AM PST
    My Tami is tough. It's a good thing too since we don't even have a garage or carport. She cuddles up under her cover (Bankie) when I'm not there. At times when I can't get home for whatever reason and we have bad weather (as now) my wife gives her a periodical 15-20 minute run-up. That's 15-20 minutes at cruise RPM's, with warm up and cool down at either end.
    • 58 posts
    February 8, 2011 9:38 AM PST
    Razncain, that looks like my son's bike and his bike is not happy with it. Suzi (son's Intruder) does NOT like cold. LOL
    • 1364 posts
    February 8, 2011 10:27 AM PST
    Our bikes are always garaged, unless we are on the road. If the temps get in the 30's or lower I turn the heat on for them and keep it around 55-60ยบ
    • 19007 posts
    February 8, 2011 10:57 AM PST
    Rex is no stranger to foul weather, has seen much rain a little hail and snow but he is always garaged when not on the road. Daily doses of dew and dust can slowly destroy chrome and cause other problems. So nicely he sets in a garage with a light breathable dust cover (an old sheet).
  • February 8, 2011 11:38 AM PST
    My baby only stays outside in the weather when were out on the road. I usually clean her up the next day when we get home. Todays Harleys are just to much money to be left out in the weather. I find it funny that my opinion on this has changed 180 degrees from when i was 20 years old and i left my bikes outside, anywhere, anytime any kind of weather and i didn't care at all either. Damn it I have become my father and have started shaking my head at all the stupid stuff my 19 year old son does. Getting older and wiser sucks!! LOL
    • 2 posts
    February 8, 2011 12:54 PM PST
    I live in right outside the stolen car capital of the good ole U.S.A. Newark N.J, and they love to steal bikes even more. If I'm not riding it it is in the garage. I have a 2 1/2 car garage so, I can fit all three of my bikes in the garage along with the wife's car. My work truck stays outside but, it's pretty beat up and is covered for theft under my business insurance so, they can have it if they want it. That being said I'll ride in the cold and the rain but, not both. I will avoid riding in heavy rain. No snow/sleet/ice of course.
    • 16795 posts
    February 8, 2011 1:01 PM PST
    Back in the day when I hadn't any garage I road what ever Harley I had into the house at night.
    • 2 posts
    February 8, 2011 1:22 PM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Back in the day when I hadn't any garage I road what ever Harley I had into the house at night.

Sweet!

• 58 posts
    February 8, 2011 2:35 PM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...

I still haven't manage to teach Tami how to negotiate steps. LOL

• 16795 posts
    February 8, 2011 5:11 PM PST
    I used to build bikes in my homes as seen in my "Old Bikes" photo album. I guess back then it seemed normal to go to another bikers home and see the same. :-)
    • 580 posts
    February 8, 2011 8:42 PM PST
    Ethel lives in the garage when not on the road. She's definitely been out more in inclement weather this last year (though not the snow) but always goes back to her dry cave (and in winter under her blankie too to keep warm). I know two guys who keep theirs in the house - and one of em spent as much money building a ramp to get it in than a new garage would have cost - now go figure that????
  • February 9, 2011 12:11 AM PST
    Mine stays in the garage when not on the road. Too Much Chrome to leave outside in the elements. Those times that I absolutly have to leave it outside it gets covered.....
    • 1780 posts
    February 9, 2011 12:17 AM PST
    The Dragon likes to cuddle with Angel Eyes Scoot in the Garage. The Street Glide just watches.
    • 2 posts
    February 9, 2011 12:50 AM PST
    Cheeze lass, we used to treat our iron lugged, Farmall better than that - At least go to Wally-World & get a tarp & some bungees.

We just finished putting an enormous addition on the house - What did I get out of it? - A 2 car garage so I no longer have to go groveling to the neighbors begging for garage space in winter.
  • February 9, 2011 1:12 AM PST
    Aquila has her own spot in the garage, but she definitely doesn't get too comfy in the winter. I never "winterize" her, just keep riding her through the winter months as much as I can - If the roads are clear, I'm probably on her.
  • February 9, 2011 12:37 PM PST
    Mine is garaged, off the concrete floor, hooked up to a battery tender, waiting for the long northern Wisconsin winter to end. Bike sits inside on a pedestal; truck sits outside in the snow.
    • 3006 posts
    February 9, 2011 1:09 PM PST
    Keep my baby inside the garage,mostly to avoid any theivery,and the elements.She handles well in the nasty stuff.
    the salt air isnt good for any bike either,one more reason to gargage her.