Coming Soon, " DixieJo " Gets Attitude

• January 21, 2011 7:48 PM PST
    If'n ya'll remember awhile back I wrote that I have a set of 14" Burly Apes for my 03 V-STAR I'm waitnig to buy the extended cables that are goona cost round $300.00 for a settlement from my near Fatal motorcycle accident in August 2009,
    Well we are settling next week cause an offer was made Friday that I will accept...So I get to to order my cables in about a month.

Finally get to put a little RandyJoe attitude to my DixieJo...

RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
  • January 21, 2011 11:49 PM PST
    Great Randy Joe best part is you are around this day and can ride again. Ride on Brother
    • 19034 posts
    January 22, 2011 12:00 AM PST
    From a near tragedy comes two pieces of good news. Kool!
  • January 22, 2011 12:11 AM PST
    Sweet. Not certain on your bike, but if its set up like the HD you'll need tranny cover gasket and fluid. Wire extension kit and a solder gun and solder, and a couple feet of shrink tubing. New banjo bolt gaskets. Probably have two sizes of banjo bolts. Better get new banjo bolts too... the old oxidized won't look right against the new chrome banjos. Oh ya, a bottle of brake fluid. Read the top of your master cylinder for type. Probable DOT 4. Oh and new exhaust gaskets too.
  • January 22, 2011 4:30 AM PST
    webby wrote...
    Great Randy Joe best part is you are around this day and can ride again. Ride on Brother

Thankya webby,,,,I celebrate that fact every day since the accident...I've been down three times in my 42yrs of riding but that ones a duezy...

• January 22, 2011 4:35 AM PST
    Bulldogjim wrote...
    Sweet. Not certain on your bike, but if its set up like the HD you'll need tranny cover gasket and fluid. Wire extension kit and a solder gun and solder, and a couple feet of shrink tubing. New banjo bolt gaskets. Probably have two sizes of banjo bolts. Better get new banjo bolts too... the old oxidized won't look right against the new chrome banjos. Oh ya, a bottle of brake fluid. Read the top of your master cylinder for type. Probable DOT 4. Oh and new exhaust gaskets too.

Thanks BDJ, ya thats pretty much it...I've been doing my research n am lookig forward to the project, my best friend n riding buddy
    has a good sized garage n we are goona do it there.

• 202 posts
    January 22, 2011 10:58 PM PST
    Glad you made it through the accident... hope there are no longstanding injuries. And congrats on the settlement... hopefully there isn't an abusive spouse to share it with... (reference lottery winning post)... lol.

Continue to ride safe!
  • January 23, 2011 12:44 AM PST
    Glad something good can from your misfortune. Webby, Thanks for putting all that stuff up there. I wanted to change bars on my sporty. Had no idea what I was getting into. I was told to extend the wires and cables. New grips, cables brake, clutch and throddle. and a lot more than I anticipated. Now I know how to solder wires (18 x2 if I remember right) measure cables and brake lines correctly and can do it again anytime I like! Love workin on my own scoot!
  • January 23, 2011 6:37 AM PST
    blueflame wrote...
    Glad something good can from your misfortune. Webby, Thanks for putting all that stuff up there. I wanted to change bars on my sporty. Had no idea what I was getting into. I was told to extend the wires and cables. New grips, cables brake, clutch and throddle. and a lot more than I anticipated. Now I know how to solder wires (18 x2 if I remember right) measure cables and brake lines correctly and can do it again anytime I like! Love workin on my own scoot!

Ya blueflame, I did the research before I bought the burlys, The burlys were $194.00 I havent bought the cables, throttle grip n all the stuff that's gonna be another $400.00,  I'm doing the installation myself cause thats what bikers do plus I'm a broke biker n aint goona pay the $85.00 per hr shop fees HOWEVER  it starting to look like I might lose my windscreen and that is not an option for me,  I've had too many small pebbles, bees and one bat hammer my face in past rides n I do tend to travel I-5 from Portland OR to Nappa Valley so thats one long freeway trip averaging 70mph
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...

• 1780 posts
    January 25, 2011 11:16 PM PST
    Cool Very Cool......now be careful out there, and enjoy the new ride.
  • January 26, 2011 12:57 AM PST
    If you got the Gorillas you should be able to keep the shield. I saw an FLSTC with 16" Gorillas and a whinshield and it didn't look as bad as you would think. Though my windshield and it's mounts are now officially GONE. Looking forward to the first 80mph June-Bug strike! LOL
    • 19034 posts
    January 26, 2011 2:15 AM PST
    When I put chubby apes on Rex, the bars were a mere $160. BUT all the other things, stainless throttle and clutch cables, brake lines, grommets and other "might as well as" items I spent near $1200, and I did all the work. One of my biggest tickets was new headers. yeah headers. Since I had to remove the headers to replace the clutch cable I decided it would be a good time to put on the 'true duals' I had always wanted.
    There never was a windshield problem but I believe the shield detracts from the "look" I wanted with the chubby 16" bars. Fortunately I can easily remove it when I am just day trippin'. I actually prefer to ride a totally open bike unless I am on the high speed highway all day.
  • January 28, 2011 1:13 PM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    When I put chubby apes on Rex, the bars were a mere $160. BUT all the other things, stainless throttle and clutch cables, brake lines, grommets and other "might as well as" items I spent near $1200, and I did all the work. One of my biggest tickets was new headers. yeah headers. Since I had to remove the headers to replace the clutch cable I decided it would be a good time to put on the 'true duals' I had always wanted.
    There never was a windshield problem but I believe the shield detracts from the "look" I wanted with the chubby 16" bars. Fortunately I can easily remove it when I am just day trippin'. I actually prefer to ride a totally open bike unless I am on the high speed highway all day.

Ya Rex, after I posted that n sat down n really looked into it I decided not to. The burlys were a mere $190 but the rest is going to cost over $800 n it's juust not that important, plus Dixie is a beautiful looking bike as she is...