Electrical Problem

• November 12, 2009 3:09 AM PST
    The other day went for a ride came home every thing was fine . Later that day went to go out again , would not start , Was makeing a clicking sound .. Ok no problem . Dead battrie , right . Wrong . Changed the battrie . still the same thing . I have power to the lights and every thing but the started and the plugs . Checked the fuses all good there . The clicking sound is commong from the junction box for the fuses . Any chance it could be that . any way to check the bx ??

thank for any help .. John
    • 1 posts
    November 12, 2009 3:30 AM PST
    I am assuming you are talking about the Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1999 listed in your profile.

I am no expert on Kawasaki, but I believe the sound you are hearing is the relay in the junction box, which most likely means it is working.

Sounds to me like you either have a bad starter solenoid or a bad starter.

To do a quick test... turn the key on and use a screwdriver to jump across the starter solenoid (the two big posts with the heavy-duty cables). If the bike starts the solenoid is bad, if it doesn't, its the starter.

Sorry, but I don't know the Kawasaki Vulcan that well, so I can't tell you where the starter solenoid is off the top of my head.
  • November 12, 2009 4:26 AM PST
    Jumped the starter working fine . it turned over but no fire to the plugs
  • November 12, 2009 4:27 AM PST
    well i guess its off to the shop
    • 5417 posts
    November 12, 2009 9:06 AM PST
    Squid,

Let us know what you find out. It may help someone else.
  • November 12, 2009 11:06 AM PST
    I'll do that . I really think its the fuse junction box but i'm just going to take it in . Going to let the pro's fix it .. Thanks ,,
  • November 12, 2009 1:03 PM PST
    Hey Squid, I don't know the Kawasaki at all but the same thing happened about 2 months ago with my Indian Scout. I replaced the Starter relay (a $5 part) and it works just fine. See if it has a starter relay plugged into that junction box....
  • November 13, 2009 12:25 AM PST
    Thank you I'll do that ..
  • November 13, 2009 1:16 AM PST
    Hello Squid,

Don't know if you had the bike checked yet but bikersarge seems to be on the money, it is either your relay or there is a plug sensor depending on year of the bike, I have a 97' Vulcan Classic that had the relay go out, very inexpensive fix. Good luck.
  • November 13, 2009 4:53 AM PST
    ty mine is a 99 . Is it the starter relay ??
  • November 15, 2009 12:31 AM PST
    Well Squid? Did ya find out what was causing the "No Start" problem? Was it the Relay or something else? Ron....
    • 83 posts
    November 15, 2009 1:04 AM PST
    I am with you guy's on the starter relay being the issue...........
  • November 15, 2009 10:22 PM PST
    Well i'm droping her off tuesday . But that sounds about right . I know it can't be any thing to bad .. Will find out soon . Thanks for the Info ..
  • November 20, 2009 1:59 AM PST
    Ok Squid, if ya dropped "her" off on Tuesday, ya should know something by today. (Friday) C'mon man, the suspense is killing me! I wanna know if it was the Starter Relay!!!!!!
  • November 21, 2009 3:47 AM PST
    Well i droped her off Thursday .. And yes it was the started relay .... We have a winner .. Thank You . I'll have my baby back Tuesday . Thanks again ..
  • November 22, 2009 1:16 AM PST
    Thanks Squid, now I feel a lot better. I was all in suspense and crap waiting to see what the malfunction was and if my "Guess" was correct... Again, thanks.... Shoot, we shoulda done a "Pool" on it.....
    • 1040 posts
    November 22, 2009 1:21 AM PST
    yep, same problem with my fxr a few months back. Checked everything I could think of until I tapped a tiny bit on the relay and it kicked right over. Replaced relay and on the road again. Glad your back riden again squid.
  • November 22, 2009 5:39 AM PST
    I'll be very happy to be riding again too . I have a trip planed to go to New Orleans then to San diego ..
    • 1040 posts
    November 22, 2009 8:32 AM PST
    squid2009 wrote...
    I'll be very happy to be riding again too . I have a trip planed to go to New Orleans then to San diego ..

Good Deal on your trip. If ya come through Mobile on I-10, give me a heads up via msg before ya leave and maybe we can meet up at the Waffle House at exit 15 and I;ll buy ya a cup of coffee. Or, Hooters is there too.

Hey folks, that goes for anyone else also; send me a msg if your coming through and If you'd like to meet up; just LMK

• December 2, 2009 11:26 AM PST
    Well im here the weather sucked for riding but i'm here ..
    • 1040 posts
    December 2, 2009 9:16 PM PST
    squid2009 wrote...
    Well im here the weather sucked for riding but i'm here ..

Where

• g
    December 4, 2009 9:39 AM PST
    stick it in ur gob,see if its live ??
  • g
    December 4, 2009 9:39 AM PST
    aye , the wire's .
  • g
    December 4, 2009 9:43 AM PST
    had same problem aboot 2 yrs ago ,i put ma bike in to shirlaws in aberdeen scotland .
  • g
    December 4, 2009 9:44 AM PST
    might be a tad far for u like ?? ,but they said it waz a loose wire ,the one coming out the push start button ??.