Arizona Shooting

• January 10, 2011 10:01 AM PST
      Well, here we go again. This freaking nutcase just gave the anti-gun nuts a real power=roll. Christ, from what I have seen reported, this kid gave off so many signals that he was a walking billboard that said " I am totally unstable and I am gonna hurt someone!" And nothing was done. Totally unbelievable!!!!

While I abhor what he did, I also abhor the run the anti-gunners will take with this. He could have used a car (we had one do that here in NC, and they didn't outlaw cars), a bat, a tire iron, or (thank god he didn't) a damn bomb. I doubt it very much, but someday they might realize that the gun didn't pull it's trigger. the gun didn't aim itself, the gun didn't load it's mags. An individual, obviously deranged and throwing off all sorts of signals, did all that.
  • January 10, 2011 12:15 PM PST
    His college professor stated that he would spin around quickly after writing something on the chalkboard to see if the guy was armed, several other students said they would all sit close to an exit if the guy was in the class. WTF wake up people somebody should have dropped a dime on the guy long before he committed this crime. The Military apparently turned him down for enlistment because he was unstable they said. This tragedy should and could have been prevented, so sad for the lives he extinguished because he was a coward!!
  • January 10, 2011 4:03 PM PST
    unbelievable is all i can say. We just start getting again in a few things and then this has to happen. She was very good for our state....praying for her still to recover.
    • 1161 posts
    January 10, 2011 4:49 PM PST
    The sad thing is the signs were there and no action. And the loss is horrable, and prayers to the familys!
  • January 10, 2011 11:48 PM PST
    Sounds like all the signs where there but we can't watch them all. We gun owners are going to take a beating as they are now talking about the 10 rnd max on the mags again. This means a crazy nut can only shoot 10 at a time reload and maybe get 10 more off. I understand he just purchased the Glock a short time ago but the backround failed to show anything so that could use some improvement. We need to stay alert and keep our eyes open.
    • 2 posts
    January 11, 2011 2:25 AM PST
    It is worse than you think - The ability to citizens to own firearms is just an incidental casualty on the road to the end goal of the beautiful people at the New York Times & elsewhere of criminalizing dissent,
    Been reading the editorials but can't keep up & still have a life. - They hate all that will not fall in line, only occasionally mention firearms but they really hate those who will not "get with the program".
  • January 11, 2011 2:26 AM PST
    I believe he purchased the weapon in Arizona where they have no background check? is this right? I switched to shooting nothing but revolvers years ago and my friend does all of our reloading himself. But can someone explain to me why you need a gun that holds 30+ rounds. If you can't hit what your shooting at in less than 15 or so then maybe you need to hit the range more often. And btw no 2nd Amendment arguments I'm a gun owner and believe in it whole heartedly. Those of you with assault rifles I understand that too i had one for a long time. Im talking about the smaller guns that can easily be hidden in a crowd under a jacket like the Glock 19 that was used in this case.
  • January 11, 2011 2:41 AM PST
    I own a SW .40 and have concealed carry. For the house it's a 12 ga with safety slugs. Used to own an assault rifle, but don't really need one. If I did, I can lay hands on one. Point is, responsible gun owners shouldn't have to worry about it. I have nothing to hide...background check? Have at it, just don't miss my military service. Training? Had to attend a class, show knowledge of the weapon, shoot it, and hit the target just to qualify for the permit. My whole point when I opened this is that the guy was blatantly unstable, all sorts of people noticed it, and either one of two things happened: a. The reports were not followed up on b. They were ignored. Maybe it's time to go hardcore....when you have verified without a doubt that an animal is rabid, you put it down. If a person is verified to be unstable, delusional, etc. you hospitalize them to treat them. If you cannot treat, you institutionalize them. Sad I guess, but a fact of life.
    • 601 posts
    January 11, 2011 6:00 AM PST
    Well, guns are illegal in Ireland except for shotguns and small caliber (.22), and these require some serious permits, 10 year sentance here for possesion of an illegal firearm. I think these laws were brought in in the '20's when we Irish had a fondness for shooting politicians and law enforcers...never really stopped people though, there are a surplus of assault weapons floating around the country after our recent civil war (1969-94)

Thing is, if they want them they'll find them, and if they want to kill they will...no law is going to stop that.
  • January 11, 2011 7:24 AM PST
    I checked with my son who lives in AZ. A background check IS mandatory to purchase a firearm wheels. So I guess it boils down to my a or b above.
    • 601 posts
    January 12, 2011 1:26 AM PST
    Someone tell me this is not true.... these loopers actually plan to have some kind of demo at the funerals !

• January 12, 2011 2:18 AM PST
    Thats what the news is reporting over here. This group takes the word assholes to a whole new level. There is no shortage of volunteers that want to pound the shit out of this group, however they usually notify the local authorities of their intentions and the police usually show up to observe the group and therefore we can't just take clubs to the side of their soft skulls. There lucky im not the sheriff because my officers would look the other way or go get coffee when all the bikers showed up!
  • January 12, 2011 7:42 AM PST
    Tell me this is not true God wouldn't let these people do this he needs to talk to them maybe at Heaven's Gate. Not saying we can help them get there. Just Saying
  • January 12, 2011 7:51 AM PST
    Sorry to say it is. I believe this is the same group that pickets the military funerals also. The AZ legislature passed an immediate law making it illegal for them to be within 300 yards though if I heard correctly.
    • 0 posts
    January 12, 2011 7:58 AM PST
    MAN I SAW A DOCO ON THIS GROUP..TALK ABOUT YOUR BLOODY MISGUIDED NUTBAGS....THEIR A PROTECTED SPECIES.....FOR NOW.....PROLLY DONT WANNA OPEN A BRANCH DOWN OUR WAY,WE AINT AS POLLITE AS YOU MOB...CHEERS BOOF .
    • 846 posts
    January 12, 2011 8:09 AM PST
    sjsak your correct the legislature passed it and the govenor sign it effective immediatly. It is the same collection that picket miltary funerals and the one they had planned on starting with was the little girl that was killed.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-11/us/arizona.funeral.westboro_1_kansas-church-westboro-baptist-church-fred-phelps?_s=PM:US
    • 9 posts
    January 12, 2011 8:37 AM PST
    I see that they only have 71 members, but spent over $250,000.00 on travel in 2009. Let's see.... how many clips for 71?
    Just saying...
  • January 12, 2011 8:57 AM PST
    Thinking about joining the PGR at least we can make the KIA'S familys feel A little better. Wish we could help with the civilians that way.
    • 601 posts
    January 12, 2011 9:18 AM PST
    RockBottom wrote...
    I see that they only have 71 members, but spent over $250,000.00 on travel in 2009. Let's see.... how many clips for 71?
    Just saying...

I believe they are all from the one extended family, I think freedom of speech is good, but surely when you have a right, you also have an obligation to use that right responsibly. Under our laws these nutters would be given 3 years for incitement to hatred. Thats if the law got them first ! freedom of speech...religion and the right to protest is all OK...but someone has to draw a moral line that cannot be crossed. WRONG IS WRONG,EVEN IF EVERYONE IS WRONG!!!

• January 12, 2011 11:03 AM PST
    Rory1 you are right, but the extreme is the normal anymore! In the state I live in, as far as I know we have never had a problem with them. They would probably get some of BOOF's welcome here! They need someone to explain how things work to them. I am a firm believer if it is explained correctly then it will be understood.
  • January 14, 2011 5:45 AM PST
    blueflame your right and i do firmly understand that little poster i hope everyone else is going to under stand that like the we do SOMEDAY