Changing my shifter......

• December 30, 2010 8:35 AM PST
    OK people, I need some ideas.... I want to change my shifter on a 2006 883 sporty! I had my heart set on a nice clean ol scool suicide shifter, with the coolest knob I could find!  Well after thinkin about it, Its been done to death so if anyone has some cool ideas I would like to hear/read them..... Dont like the twist up clutches ard the look of the hand shifters, lever in the side thing, as bought in a kit... Just want something different, any help would be much welcomed! Thank you all!!
  • December 30, 2010 11:13 AM PST
    Can anyone tell me about a "mouse trap"? both a hand lever and a foot clutch?
  • January 30, 2011 3:56 AM PST
    Blueflame,

If you are looking for something different the pics below illustrate what I have done to my bike...the first pic was taken back in early 2009 before I painted the bike black but it's the best closeup I have. The shifter is an amalgam of parts from eBay (the mount), my local indie shop (the linkage), the hardware store (brackets & hardware) and a vintage m/c catalog (lever and knob). I fabricated the brackets that mount the shifter to the front cylinder head and there is no slop. The foot clutch is a LaBriola unit; see http://www.lajockeyshifter.com/labriola_machine3_008.htm . As for the mousetrap, IIRC that was a device mounted on older Big Twins that reduced clutch pull effort.

I  hope this helps!