This ends my Riding for the season!

• December 10, 2010 3:17 AM PST

Hello Everyone, Thought I would stop in and see how everyone else was doing with all this cold weather. I looked out my window this weekend and realised that my riding for the rest of this year was now over. I was told by someone I was a big baby for not wanting to get my bike out and ride still but I think when you see the photo many will agree it's just to cold for it right now.On that note I will head off to sit in front of the fire and dream of warmer weather and riding in the wind. Stay Warm all and Have a Happy Holiday Season!

• 846 posts
    December 10, 2010 3:35 AM PST
    You’re not alone. Through we don’t have the snow yet in Norther Mass (on Mass NH border) I’ve but my bike into winter storage a week or so ago. I store it about 30 miles north of where I live so it gets down to a gamble to get it there before the first snow. When the snow hits and it takes longer to thaw out then the ride took it’s time. There are only so many layers you can add before it not viable to go out and mild case of hypothermia are only enjoy the first few times. I’ve already started to go stir crazy and I’m planning rides for next year.
    Stay warm and but another log on the fire and have a happy holiday season.
    For those in the warmer climates enjoy the ride and think of us cold cage bound souls waiting to be released once again on the streets with the wind in our hair or (lack of).
    • 9 posts
    December 10, 2010 5:26 AM PST
    Please, don't let the "die hards" make you feel bad for not wanting to ride in that! Sheesh, even if it were a bit warmer, that stuff ain't no joke as far as safety is concerned. And I know, if you have children, you'll be thinkin', it ain't worth maybe orphaning them, just to putt around. Besides, Florida will still be here when you can get here! RIDE FREE
    Tweek
  • December 10, 2010 6:52 AM PST
    Na, you got choices...

• 1780 posts
    December 10, 2010 8:52 AM PST
    I pretty much draw the line at about 45 degrees, without a wind chill factor. If I can't feel my hands, it's to damn cold.
    • 9 posts
    December 10, 2010 9:21 AM PST
    nightdragon wrote...
    I pretty much draw the line at about 45 degrees, without a wind chill factor. If I can't feel my hands, it's to damn cold.
    And here I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Or...we're just gettin to old for this shit...
    • 567 posts
    December 10, 2010 10:54 AM PST
    In my younger days in Colorado, I rode year round as long as the weather forecast said the day was gonna be dry. But now that I'm in my 60s, I've found that getting chilled to the bone just ain't worth it. (Takes too long to warm back up.)
    • 58 posts
    December 10, 2010 11:06 AM PST
    If I can, I'll be out at least a little this weekend. If I ever get home, that is.
  • December 10, 2010 11:25 AM PST
    2 above this am and went up to around 20 warm spell. Think I am done for this year
  • December 10, 2010 11:55 AM PST
    Hey Jump?? Where could a snow in person find one of those??
  • December 10, 2010 1:57 PM PST
    I have to agree with the majority me thinks....these old bones have enough trouble as it is, so I don't need to be froze half to death. Takes to long to warm back up. Last time I thought I had burned the knees on the engine I was huggin' it so hard, but I couldn't feel it to be sure! LOL! Yeah, I'll stabil the bike, put the tender on, and hope for a few 60 deg days here in North Cac-a-lackie.
    • 58 posts
    December 10, 2010 8:08 PM PST
    4AM in Texarkana, AR and I woke up cause it was too warm in the truck (and NO, the truck aint running).
    • 580 posts
    December 11, 2010 12:35 AM PST
    I can't see the draw in riding when it's too cold to feel your fingers and you can't get your hand inside your helmet to wipe the drips off your nose. The last few weeks of thick snow and ice here have well and truly stopped me riding. Might get out on a very fine, sunny day provided there is no salt on the road - otherwise it'll be spring before Ethel comes out of hibernation.
    • 19004 posts
    December 11, 2010 1:07 AM PST
    I agree with you Chocmintz, No need to prove my masculinity by riding when it is too damn cold to enjoy it. I have done it and do not plan to do it again. I will put my riding experience next to anyone and stand tall.
    And Rufcut, me too, last night, no heat on in Roz and all I needed was a sheet on the bed. But that will change in two days, going into the twenties Sunday night.
    • 2 posts
    December 11, 2010 2:11 AM PST
    I seriously want one
  • December 13, 2010 5:46 AM PST
    Now I have seen everything! Too bad Hubby didnt see this before we sold the side car! could have had a side business! But for me that is jus plain crazy!!!!
  • December 13, 2010 6:14 AM PST
    14 degrees and windy today.  I think I'll pass.  Doesn't seem to bother this rodent though........

• 1 posts
    December 13, 2010 8:07 AM PST
    Did I mention that is REALLY COLD too.....
    • 1066 posts
    December 13, 2010 8:34 AM PST
    The day I have a snow plow on a motorcycle will be the day that Hell, indeed Froze Over.
  • December 13, 2010 9:03 AM PST
    The Other Woman (my bikes name) said its to damn cold for her to get out of the heated garage.She has grounded me from riding her till a warm day comes along with no salt on the roads. She is FINIKY
    • 58 posts
    December 13, 2010 9:47 AM PST
    About 38 deg and clear when I left the house this AM. Temp got up to about 50 and cooling fast now that the sun is down. I'll be home in bout an hour or so. Great Day!!! And I wasn't alone!! Back to work tomorrow though, UGH!
  • December 14, 2010 3:06 AM PST
    Sorry to hear your season is over, but it does make for some nice photos from all of you that live in places where it snows. Come out for a visit, it was 86 degrees and sunny yesterday and today it will be about the same. I rode home from my buddies house yesterday in Arizona wearing only a long-sleeve T-shirt. Feel free to come out west to San Diego and thaw out if ya like.       
                                                                                                                                                               Wheels
  • October 27, 2011 7:35 AM PDT
    Yep, its that time of year again. Its about 42 outside right now and last night we were in the 20s. Don't see it getting any warmer from this point on either. Hopefully we can get some bright sunny days and still get a few rides in. If its in the mid 40s it doesn't bother me all that much as long as the sun is shinning. Once we get the low 40s and 30s we pretty much call it quits for the weekend. We will head down to Florida with the bikes in tow to spend a few weeks with the kids over the holidays, so I do have something to look forward to.
  • October 27, 2011 8:01 AM PDT
    Been unusually cold here for this time of year. The great thing about this area is even in the winter all of the sudden a 50 degree day will show up, so we never put the bikes away!