Bringing a Smile with Toy Runs

• 5419 posts
    December 7, 2010 3:13 AM PST
    I am not sure how many of you get to go on a Toy Run where you actaully get to see the recipients of the gifts.  For years we have had a local Toy Run put on by Orange County Harley Davidson & Orange Coast HOG.  The run is on Christmas Eve, and 1,200+ bikes follow the truckloads of toys to the Childrens Hospital of Orange County.

I know we all get a really good feeling when we donate toys to the various Toy Runs, but on this run when you arrive at the hospital every window is full with a young boy or girl waving as the bikes roar in.  Many of them too sick to leave their room, so they wave from their windows as they watch the toys being unloaded.  The ones that are able come outside to meet this great group of bikers who have given their Christmas Eve to do something special for these little people who don't normally have a whole lot to look forwad to.  They range in age from newborns to early teens, the younger ones stare at the piles of toys, while the older ones all want their picture taken on a motorcycle.  Its great to watch all these "big bad bikers" (you know the ones parents tell their kids not to look at while driving down the road) wave stuffed animals in front of infants making goo goo sounds, and then turn their head to wipe a tear from their eye.  The thing that always gets me the most is seeing the same kids coming out to greet us that we saw last year...for many this is their home for now, and for some it is the only home they have ever known.

Here are a few pictures from years past... Please feel free to share stories and pictures from Toy Runs you have attended.

• 5419 posts
    December 7, 2010 3:16 AM PST
    The Santa and Misses Clause you see in the picture were the ones that started this Toy Run years ago with about 5 bikes. Santa has since had a stroke and has been confined to a wheel chair, but still makes it out every year!!!
    • 0 posts
    December 7, 2010 5:10 AM PST
    Mate thats way bloody Cool......Kinda makes ya goggles mist up alittle....CHEERS BOOF
  • December 7, 2010 11:12 AM PST
    We have been to quite a few and they are always touching when you see the recipients. They have a Big Kid Toy run around here where they collect toys for the elderly who are alone on Christmas. Trust me, they have the same sincerity in their smiles as those little kids do. Everyone just wants to know someone cares.
    • 1066 posts
    December 7, 2010 11:41 AM PST
    Pretty cool Lucky, pretty cool.
  • December 8, 2010 3:05 PM PST
    That really does bring it all home... it is good to donate to worthy things, but most of the time we don't see the real lives we are touching...it matters more when we do see and makes me want to do more when I see the faces.  Thank you for posting these pictures. 

"GoFastGirl wrote 1 day ago
    We have been to quite a few and they are always touching when you see the recipients. They have a Big Kid Toy run around here where they collect toys for the elderly who are alone on Christmas. Trust me, they have the same sincerity in their smiles as those little kids do. Everyone just wants to know someone cares."

*Bingo!*  Well said. 
    • 580 posts
    December 8, 2010 9:14 PM PST
    What awesome pics Lucky and as the others have said - great to see that someone always cares.
    • 844 posts
    December 22, 2010 2:10 AM PST
    Went on two toy runs this past weekend, one to a hospital and one to a homeless shelter. Both were great becuase we did get to see the kids that were getting the toys.

• December 10, 2013 4:33 AM PST
    I went to the Bakersfield Toy Run this past weekend. Wow what a great turnout. I just love the Christmas Season!
  • December 10, 2013 4:59 AM PST
    I went on the TOYS IN THE SUN RUN this past Sunday. 30,000 bikes! Had a blast! It would be nice to set something up here in South FL so we could see the kids faces, gives me some ideas to work on