How Often Do You Change the Battery on Your Motorcycle

• November 2, 2009 3:41 PM PST
    I was told be a friend to change the battery on my HD Dyna about every two years, even if it still seemed to be in good shape.  He said that they don't usually last much longer than that and when they go, they just go.

What does everyone else here do?
  • November 2, 2009 5:17 PM PST
    I usually change it out every four years. It should definetly last more than 2 years.
  • November 2, 2009 7:03 PM PST
    Whats a battery? I rebuilt the magnito once in 25 years 

• g
    November 2, 2009 8:53 PM PST
    had my bike for just over 2 yrs now ,never had a problem with it .if u keep the bike running over the winter months ,or any other time, then u should not have to change the battery ,just dont leave the bike for to long without turning it over .
    • 19007 posts
    November 2, 2009 10:41 PM PST
    Whats a battery? I rebuilt the magnito once in 25 years 

smart as....

The old liquid filled batteries would commonly fail after 2 or 3 years, especially on the old shakers. The newer gel-cells are better.  I personnaly got 5 years out of Rex's first battery and many friends have gotten 4 years out of theirs. That 5 year battery was an oversight and I definately would not recommend waiting that long. One other thing, I and many other riders keep a tender on the battery during the winter.

• 844 posts
    November 3, 2009 6:21 AM PST
    I change mine right about 4 years. Small investment for peace of mind.
  • November 3, 2009 6:29 AM PST
    We agree as well, some like myself went 6 years on the same battery, We recommend that you keep a battery tender on the bike especially during any extended periods that you are not riding. Normally when they go they just go. The Battery Tender is a relatively inexpensive way around $20.00 to keep your battery strong.
    • 1 posts
    November 3, 2009 9:57 AM PST
    I trade in for a new bike before I need a new battery or tires. Nothing like a new bike smell.
  • November 3, 2009 10:48 AM PST
    Steven you are so full of ..##@$....you maintane both our bikes like they are your babies...you would not trade these in... you would buy top of the line new batteries, tires and what ever they needed ...sheesh we did not ride for weeks this summer so we would not go over our miles on an oil change during our vacation this year....I am surprised both batteries are not out of our bikes now that it cold here...but maybe we will get another ride in together before the year is up....BTW....Crazy about you Steven
    • 21 posts
    November 3, 2009 10:50 AM PST
    I'm a big fan of the trickle charge (as recommended by Baltimore Harley) - works like a charm in the winter when not riding alot -really prolongs the life of the battery
  • November 3, 2009 11:34 AM PST
    Roger on the Battery "Tender". The Indian is pretty hard on batteries, especially in the winter! Since I've been running the "tender" on it in the winter, I've had no problems!
  • November 3, 2009 10:11 PM PST
    5 years on the battery is the safe bet ( the new gel cells may go longer, Battery tender in the slow months to keep it peeked. Ride it - best way to keep it charged to its max !
  • November 3, 2009 11:48 PM PST
    new battery every 2 yrs seems to make the bike run better and get better gas mileage(might be just in my head) as for tires some yrs 3 sets but mostly 2
  • g
    November 4, 2009 12:12 AM PST
    tyre every 2000 miles or so ,i go throw about 4 rear tyres a year .
  • November 4, 2009 6:17 PM PST
    Batteries are relatively cheap compared to a charging system failure. Bad batteries are the reason we end up with bad stators, starters and charging systems. The rule I go by is EVERY year I buy a new battery, why take a chance? More of that Peace of Mind I like to preach:-)
    • 6 posts
    February 18, 2010 4:56 AM PST
    I'll buy a new one one when the one I've got stops working. Battery tender and regular use is the best way to keep one up, though. Leave it sit for a few months and you might just ruin a brand new battery. I ride every time there's no ice on the road, and if there is ice out there, I still go out to the garage, fire up, and let her run for a little while in the garage; that keeps the battery in good shape and fresh gas in the carbs.
    • 5419 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:02 AM PST
    Every four years, or slightly less if I am getting ready for a long haul with like 3-1/2 years on the battery. The last thing I want is to find out I pushed it a little to far when I stop on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere to stretch my legs. Them Road Kings are hard to push start!
    • 601 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:34 AM PST
    Service my bike myself, but once a year i get it re-tuned and carbs balanced in a mechanic shop...change the battery then as well. Battery is pretty cheap so I just keep it in top shape
    • 513 posts
    February 18, 2010 6:33 AM PST
    I had the same gel battery in the dyna for eight years, but it was plugged in every night on a battery charger/maintainer when it was at home.
    I have had to replace the battery on my sporty every three years.
    PrimalLeathers that is a lurvly bike, I like that alot.
  • February 18, 2010 6:59 AM PST
    Gel cells on my Victory's. Every 5 years. So far havent had one fail. I keep the cheap Harbor Freight battery float chargers on them in the winter months.

Thanx,

jb
    • 0 posts
    February 18, 2010 7:20 AM PST
    Once a month or so crank it just enough to turn the lights on but not start it (or if it does, shut it back off). Walk away for 15 -20 minutes with the lights on. It it starts after that, you are good. If not replace it.
    • 16 posts
    February 18, 2010 7:33 AM PST
    Had to break down and replace mine last year. Lasted 5 years.
  • February 18, 2010 5:21 PM PST
    With temps to -40 or lower in the winter I always use a trickle charger. If the temps warm up enough, I'll start the bike in March with a box fan in front of it for air flow over the engine so there's no condensation problems.
  • April 17, 2010 10:41 AM PDT
    Battery tenders - only way to go - Battery should last ya about 4 years depending on how ya ride.
    • 19 posts
    April 17, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
    had my 1st battery for 4 yrs,in winter every week just start her up,let her run ya,she's my bitch, for 3o minutes while listen to born to be wild! sometimes forget to open garage door,bummer, good buzz though,then shut her down till next week!