How Often Do You Change the Battery on Your Motorcycle

• 1 posts
    May 6, 2010 6:49 AM PDT
    I would recommend about three years. Four is just pushing it a little too much depending on your bike and riding habits. Most of the emergency calls we get for batteries are right around four years old, so why chance it. Heck, that's only about $3.50 a month!
    • 2 posts
    May 6, 2010 12:14 PM PDT
    2006 Buell w/ factory original battery - No problem excepting the time I left it in the "acc" pos. w/ the light on..

What bad things happen if you stretch a battery until failure? Have always done that but might have been dumb.
  • May 6, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
    Every year. That 113" is hell on batteries. No compression releases.
    • 5417 posts
    May 6, 2010 12:50 PM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    2006 Buell w/ factory original battery - No problem excepting the time I left it in the "acc" pos. w/ the light on..

What bad things happen if you stretch a battery until failure? Have always done that but might have been dumb.

One bad thing that could happen is you could be somewhere with no one around when the battery decides it just ain't gonna start the bike any more.  Other than that, it's all good.

• 3006 posts
    February 22, 2014 5:30 AM PST
    Just recently replaced my battery,didnt realize I was stretching it till after few hard starts lately & loosing my trip info readings.Went n checked my records sure enough just about 4 years old,so I went bought a new yuasa (oem) instead of the cheaper dura boost.
    Is anyone using the new gel batterys or the lithium ion?? Not sure if they would have been the better choice.
  • February 22, 2014 5:35 AM PST
    Battery engineers are the best there are. they make batteries to last to the end of warranty. they have it to a definite science. If you buy a 2yr battery plan on 2 yrs
  • February 23, 2014 1:40 AM PST
    2007 Electraglide Classic.

Replaced main battery in 4 year intervals just because I do not want it to go out on me. Trying to push starting an Electra glide on flat groung would not be fun!

I live in Louisiana where the winters are not that harsh. I ride everyday I can, and when I'm not I keep a batery tender on it.

Now the security key battery gets replaced every year.
    • 5417 posts
    February 23, 2014 2:03 AM PST
    Good note on the security key. At least 3 times I had to lend someone the battery from my FOB 'cause theirs went dead. I change mine each spring when I change the clocks. That is my reminder.
  • February 23, 2014 4:28 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Good note on the security key. At least 3 times I had to lend someone the battery from my FOB 'cause theirs went dead. I change mine each spring when I change the clocks. That is my reminder.

Ditto. I think the clocks change on Sunday March 9th,
  • February 23, 2014 5:30 AM PST
     2010 Fat Boy Lo.  I keep a tender on during winter and it is kept in the garage.  My battery lasted exactly 2 years.  Pulled into gas station to get something to drink and came out, would not start............Dead.  Haven't  learned my lesson though.  This summer will be 2 years again and I want to see if it will last longer this time.  I've had the seat off and battery seems pretty simple to change.  Anything I should know before doing it myself?
    • 3006 posts
    February 24, 2014 3:21 AM PST
    It was the battery,my baby is firing rite up again.Took her out yesterday,running decent enough yet being OCD about sheit never quite satisfied LOL maybe when I put a nitrous kit on it?!??

Not sure about changing the batteries on the newer model HD's if its anything like my 03 Honda VTX its fairly simple.
    • 846 posts
    February 24, 2014 3:30 AM PST
    Sound like a good gauge so far on 4-5 years. Mines coming up on 5. It's on a charger while in storage (Northeast) and when it not it a daily (or as close as I can get) rider. In contrast my buddies is same age same storage conditions but is not ridden as much and is showing its age in not cranking over to good. May be time for both to get replaced.

Any battery brand recommendation for Harley's
  • February 24, 2014 4:51 AM PST
    I get one every time I ride to Sturgis which is every fifth year. Remember your buddies don't want to push you down the street to start your bike.
    • 5417 posts
    February 24, 2014 5:39 AM PST
    Chaz wrote...
    Sound like a good gauge so far on 4-5 years. Mines coming up on 5. It's on a charger while in storage (Northeast) and when it not it a daily (or as close as I can get) rider. In contrast my buddies is same age same storage conditions but is not ridden as much and is showing its age in not cranking over to good. May be time for both to get replaced.

Any battery brand recommendation for Harley's

Almost all the name brand batteries these days have about the same characteristics - just be sure to check the warrantee that it comes with
    I went with the SuperStart from O'Riley Auto Parts for my current battery. Great price, in stock and there are lots of O'Riley Stores (at least out west here) in case I need to get a warrantee replacement while on the road.

• 284 posts
    February 24, 2014 8:30 PM PST
    We should all be around a fire Drinkin beer and bullshittin each other.

Batteries are like wives, Dump it every 4 years for a new one.

Durin the cold spells, get out crank up your ride and let it warm up. No tenders, tenders are for whimps, then after it hits 100 F ride it out the door, pull it back in and do this a few times and it will Luv you.

In the Cold start your scoot 2 or 3 times a week and do as above and it will get everything flowin and have fun as it sits and gets warmed up.

Tenders are for Non-Riding weekenders. Heck if the bike can take cold and warm up, I can take cold and start it up.
    • 1855 posts
    February 25, 2014 2:03 AM PST
    I started putting my used MC batteries in my riding mower a long time ago. It's used when it goes in the mower. And when that battery goes dead I replace it with the battery currently running my bike and I buy a new one for the bike. Scientific? Not really but it's proven to be a viable system that keeps me on track and I really don't have to fret over the battery or think about it. . It comes out to what Silver Sportster said, about every 4 years.

My garage is heated a good part of the winter but I still remove the battery and store it in the basement right on the corner of the bar. Adds a bit of atmosphere to the room LOL

Peaced
    • 846 posts
    June 4, 2014 5:14 AM PDT
    Well I procrastinated a little too long after reading this thread I had planned to replace my 5 yr old battery in my Road King at some point this year. Well the decision was make for me last Sunday. No indication at all it was going, so off for a charity ride. Lucked out and got the ride in and being short on time I hit the highway to make my next few chores before heading home. I stopped to check my direction and I shut off the bike and well let’s say the decision was made. That sound none of us want to hear when were away from home. Yes I heard it (or correctly didn’t hear),I did get it home (road side assistance).

Moral of the store, I’m now on a 4 year plan and have added motorcycle jumper cables to the stash of tools in the saddle bags.
    • 5417 posts
    June 4, 2014 5:18 AM PDT
    I really hate the phrase "I told you so", so let me just say...

We informed you duly

• 846 posts
    June 4, 2014 7:49 AM PDT
    Yes, Yes I was, it's all on me. I've been an example of what not to do more then once.
  • June 4, 2014 12:57 PM PDT
    Don't forget to change the batteries in your key less fob also. There cheap and it really is a no brainer!!
    • 1161 posts
    June 7, 2014 12:39 PM PDT
    I had my battery for 3 years now and have gotten a new battery in less then 6 months ago and now it is dead and wont hold a charge and the local shop I got it from was so pose to order a sealed Gel type but they got me an open cell with water in it and the drain out the back of it. And I waited two months for the "new battery order" to finally get there. I had them put it in since I had push started the bike to get it there. And did not find any of that out until recently that it had distilled water in it. Now I have to go to a new place because, they are not going to screw me again (now come to find out I'm not the first person they have screwed over with this type of similarity issue).
    • 84 posts
    June 18, 2014 2:30 AM PDT
    We agree as well, some like myself went 6 years on the same battery, We recommend that you keep a battery tender on the bike especially during any extended periods that you are not riding. Normally when they go they just go. The Battery Tender is a relatively inexpensive way around $20.00 to keep your battery strong.

Agreed.  I got 6 years out of my original battery.  The replacement has been in use 2 years now with no indication of a problem. when I first bought the Dyna I was working out of the US 2 months and back one.  Kept it on a tender and never had a problem.  Now with the mild weather I have here I ride almost everyday.
    • 2685 posts
    July 22, 2014 4:38 AM PDT
    Time to replace mine and was looking at a Lithium ion battery. Half the size, a quarter the weight and more cranking amps. Of course about 50% more cost wise. Anyone have any experience with them?
    • 3006 posts
    November 5, 2019 8:58 PM PST

[blockquote]Vulcan said: Time to replace mine and was looking at a Lithium ion battery. Half the size, a quarter the weight and more cranking amps. Of course about 50% more cost wise. Anyone have any experience with them?[/blockquote]

My question also.Has anyone here any experience with the Lithium battery for their ride? My standard battery lasted nearly 5 years this time,probably end up going with the Yuasa again.I do notice that the Lithium type are nearly 8 lbs lighter than my original.

• 19007 posts
    November 6, 2019 7:12 AM PST

I have used AGM types ever since I learned about them. I replace every three years, regardless. Those Li batteries are probably better but at a SERIOUSLY higher price...

This post was edited by RexTheRoadDog at November 6, 2019 7:12 AM PST