Open discussion about Intimidation....by Night Dragon

• 1780 posts
    October 23, 2010 6:10 AM PDT
    I have been looking through several CF Family members photo's, and a large majority of Male Bikers look like, well Bad Asses, not sure how else to put it. I fear I,m opening a pandor's box here with this subject, but what the hell this is what I'm noted for. Let's have an open discussion about why some Bikers choose to look the way they do. I will have to admit I fall into that catagory. I have given this some throught and I believe the word that comes to mind is "Intimidation" so let's look at that word. Is Intimidation a good thing or a bad thing. I see it as being both, as in sports, teams will try to intimidate each other to seek a mental advantage. In the animal world animal's will attempt to Intimate each other to gain a meal, more land to roam, or to protect there young. 
    Having been in the security world for some time it is important to establish your authority right off with the mis-fits you have to deal with on a daily basis, so you had better come accross as a Bad Ass, and can back it up if need be. Method's of doing this is how you dress, how you carry yourself, and how you make eye contact with other people. I believe in this example looking like a Bad Ass can save your butt. It's also called looking like a "Hard Target"! One Apt Complex I worked even the Police called me Robo Cop and Rambo........they through it was funny to them. I didn't see the humor in it. That complex had more crime than I have ever seen before. I actually carried a Colt 45 and a 12 Ga shotgun there for protection.   
    Now back to Bikers that look like a Bad Ass, is this a vision that is carried forward from years ago, is this an image from Hollywood Movies, or is this a way of saying ..."Don't F&^K with me and I won't F*&K with you, and all will be cool in the world.
    I will lead this off, I guess because I started it......weather you agree with my reason matters not to me, I'm just sharing with you. I believe if you look like you don't want any one giving you shit, Most people won't, however the flip side of that coin is......you had better be ready to engage if need be.
    I have stood toe to toe with gang bangers, and althrough I felt fear I never showed it, and in almost every case they would back down. Then I would go and clean out my shorts.....LOL.
    OK everyone that feels like jumping in on this please feel free to enlighten us on why you look like you do.

Night Dragon
    • 2072 posts
    October 23, 2010 7:08 AM PDT
    Dragon................ Have to agree with you 100%. As a FORMER LEO, I learned a long time ago intimidation goes a long way in getting your way. Like you, there were (and continue to be) several incidents where my appearance, stance and attitude have saved my ass. I consider myself a pretty laid back, easy going person. However, you step on my toes or threaten my family I can STILL put the "hard ass" face on. As far as my "biker look"...... that's just who I am. I'm more comfortable wearing black than flowery Hawaiian shirts. I wear leather not necessarily for the "Look" but more for the protection it offers. I prefer to drink my beer straight from the bottle or can rather than a crystal glass 'cause that's just me. I like to carry a weapon because SOMETIMES the intimidation thing just doesn't work. If ya like me as I am then we're cool, if ya don't...... I really don't care !!!!!!! 
    • 1516 posts
    October 23, 2010 7:18 AM PDT
    Maybe you bad ass bikers like to look the way you do, cuz us biker women like it!!:)
    • 0 posts
    October 23, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
    Man I'm lucky...I'm only a little bloke but i carry myself in a confident way ..Oh and i have incredible power dressing skills
    • 601 posts
    October 23, 2010 7:57 AM PDT
    Never really thought about it Dragon, until now (you and your bright ideas!) I dress for comfort, mostly dark clothes so as I get an extra days wear outa them...always wondered why Liz makes me walk 10 feet behind her when we are out and about. I never really thought about the intimadating factor. I dont look for trouble, but I won't back away either, I got some bad beatings in my time for that, gave some too....basically the way I look tells people,
    I AM WHAT I AM, AND I WILL MAKE NEITHER EXCUSE NOR APOLOGY FOR THAT.......you may laugh at me 'cos I'm different....I laugh 'cos you're all the same

Now would ya g'way back to Angeleyes and stop asking awkward questions !!!
  • October 23, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
    I dont know about intimidation...I stand up for myself and others,do what I know is right,when it comes down to it I am not afraid to fight for it. Maybe confidence and resolve are better descriptions.You know, here I am, take it or leave it but you are not gonna make me do anything I dont want too!
    • 9 posts
    October 23, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
     Well, I for one enjoy this look. Call it intimidation if you like. Whatever works. I choose to call it "self-confidence". True, as bikers, in our leather and T-shirts, we can come across all "bad ass" looking. Hollywood stereotype. But whatever the reason, I do garner more respect and less hassles looking this way. And the self confidence I feel when I ride and hang out with my biker friends is just icing on the cake. There's nothing like a little intimidation, to make one feel better about themselves. And as long as it's done without malice, who is it really bothering....
    • 580 posts
    October 23, 2010 8:17 AM PDT
    I guess this one is aimed mainly at the guys.

I'm just a regular gal with a regular job and, as I've said before on here, unless folk see me ON my bike they don't see me as a biker - many folk have been surprised to hear that I have my own motorbike shock horror!!!!. I'm generally confident and friendly - will talk to anyone and take the michael out of those that let me, though am not offensive. This has for the most part kept me well out of trouble. I ride mainly alone or in small groups so I guess I'm very sheltered from the type of situations that some of you guys might find yourselves in.

I kind of understand what you're saying about intimidation being a form of defence but by the same token so can openness and friendliness. Also - and correct me on this one if you like - but the more intimidating you look then could it then be the more someone will want to have a go at you because they might feel they have something to prove?

• October 23, 2010 8:21 AM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    Dragon................ Have to agree with you 100%. As a FORMER LEO, I learned a long time ago intimidation goes a long way in getting your way. Like you, there were (and continue to be) several incidents where my appearance, stance and attitude have saved my ass. I consider myself a pretty laid back, easy going person. However, you step on my toes or threaten my family I can STILL put the "hard ass" face on. As far as my "biker look"...... that's just who I am. I'm more comfortable wearing black than flowery Hawaiian shirts. I wear leather not necessarily for the "Look" but more for the protection it offers. I prefer to drink my beer straight from the bottle or can rather than a crystal glass 'cause that's just me. I like to carry a weapon because SOMETIMES the intimidation thing just doesn't work. If ya like me as I am then we're cool, if ya don't...... I really don't care !!!!!!! 

ya know dragon,  i read this from blvdcruiser, and it is just as simple as we are who we are. i like the smell of good leather, the sound it makes when you move. i prefer to live a non-violent life, at peace with myself and my surroundings, if the stereotype of wearing leather makes people think i am a badass, good, i can live in peace. there is an amount of self control and composure that is intimidating,  gives the idea you have already seen it and are not bothered by it, and most of us have. action, not reaction. and the poor soul who wants to see if i am the real deal, well, they may just have to live their lives wondering i'll defend myself if need be, but not many out there i am willing to go in front of the judge for. however, screw with my kids or my family, that's your ass!
    • 467 posts
    October 23, 2010 8:35 AM PDT
    My husband and I, too, are "regular Joes". Although, my father and grandfather were both the "intimidating" type bikers, I guess that need to limit my wardrobe did not get passed down to me. Don't get me wrong, I generally carry myself with the "aura" (I guess you would call it) of the type of person who does not lack confidence and is not going to back down when someone is in need, but this in defo not evident by my choice of clothing. LOL! Anyone that has hung with me for any length of time knows that my preferred color is tie dye! And Clay wears very little black--not even black leather as his are distressed brown. Needless to say, most people would not know that I am a biker unless they happen to see me on my bike, but no one would doubt my "intimidation factor" just because how I present myself! So, in then end I can't be sure if I am a biker becuase I have this type of personality that drew me to it or if I have this type of personality because I am a biker!
  • October 23, 2010 9:28 AM PDT
    I'm only 5'4" tall but dress in black when I ride. Keeps idiots away and leaves me in peace. Hang out in a few rough places even now and never had a problem. You know what they say "GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES".
    I dont go looking for trouble but I give NO quarter when it starts!!!!!
    That me and I back my ride mates as they have backed me!
    I dont have a pic of me on my profile but one day it might show up. Think of me as a small version of ND thats close.
    • 513 posts
    October 23, 2010 12:10 PM PDT
    Warning beer on board with this post!

If an ordinary citizen finds the way that we look intimidating SO WHAT? I have to say that joe public has never done anything for me so I see no reason in hell why I should give a damn about his opinion of me.
    Having been refused entry to pubs and restaurants for the way I look back in the day, by jumped up gobshites I don't feel any reason to give a toss what the public thinks of me, if they find me intimidating all the better.
    I have never felt intimidated by another biker, by the odd cop maybe but not another biker, I been in some situations that have drawn unwanted bullshit from idiots who would fight with a sponge to impress their women and sometimes have come off the best of it and sometimes have not, but never has it made me think that I should alter the way I am or the way I behave.
    Being a biker makes you different, you are a resourseful, independent and tough as in resilient person who has to be able to handle what get thrown at you when thing go wrong out on the road and you are aloan, so that makes us different from the herd, especially if you started biking before the mobile phone came along when you had to know how to fix your bike to get home.
    So if so joe public looks at you with distain, just breeze on by and think how unriched, dull and mundane his life is because he has not got what we got....a life.
  • October 23, 2010 1:08 PM PDT
    Attitude - A bodily posture showing or meant to shows mental state, emotion, or mood. A manner of acting, feeling or thinking that shows ones disposition, opinion, or state of being. Assume a posture or pose representative of disposition.
    Irrespective of dress or attire..

By definition ------- Don't poke a sleeping bear. and Some mighty ugly men have very warm and gentile hugs. Respect is earned, not just given.
    I may or may not have a gun at a time but I will use any weapon available for the level of offence.
    Dont judge me by my looks. I will respond to a hand shake just as strong
  • October 23, 2010 1:31 PM PDT
    in the words of Popeye "I yam what I yam and dats all dat I yam" I really dont give a sh** what others think of me. I had to do the suit and tie thing for years and it just wasent me. I look the way I do now caus thats just who I am. I seem to get respect from other bikers, even most of the local Halls Angles say Hi or nod there heads at me. Now if how I look is intimidating to others, so what. I never gave it much though but dont think I look to intimidating. Just look at this pic isent that a face that only a mother could love
    • 1780 posts
    October 23, 2010 10:20 PM PDT
    Hey you guys have come up with some good concepts about who we are and how we look.I remember when I lived in California back in the 70's I rode to a toy run put on by the Marines, and you should have seen all the Red and White there with there stuff animals for the kids. How's that for a look of intimination.
    • 1509 posts
    October 24, 2010 12:41 AM PDT
    I am not a Biker I do not want to be confused with those who are bikiers. I am 6'2' 300 pounds my weathered appearence makes most children hide behind there parents legs an shake there head side to side.I do not need any more help being intimidateing nor do I want it. Yes I have a leather jacket and a vest protection mostly, yea got a tat also, memories of my mommy and her life.

Intimadation is not apleasant thing most of the time and helpfull some of the time.

Poser is a word that also comes to mind also.

be carefull what you wish (dress or decorate for) you just may have to live with it.

My true friends call me "Teddy Bear"
    • 1780 posts
    October 24, 2010 2:11 AM PDT
    Amazing I never seem to start easy post, but ones that cause havoc within the family. I believe for this reason I love this family, not everyone agrees with each other, and that's ok. I think It's good to stimulate the mind every once and a while with some subjects that brings the beast in us out. Let me close with this statement.....I would never start a sitution which would get any of my family hurt or involved, however I will always watch the back of each and every one of you! Friends to the end.....
    Dragon
  • g
    October 24, 2010 9:22 AM PDT
    AYE ...IM A BAD ASS .
  • g
    October 24, 2010 9:26 AM PDT
    SEE...............................
  • October 24, 2010 9:45 AM PDT
    Have to agree with hcsg90. I wear leather to protect. Never thought to impress or intimidate. Had my share in the Nam, so I prefer a peaceful coexistance. But with that said, dosen't mean I'll roll over either.
    • 58 posts
    October 24, 2010 2:50 PM PDT
    So, somebody tell me true. Do I look intimidating to you? Would head to toe leather change that? Trust me when I say, when there is a need.... Don't Mess with My Family....And I'll tell it straight when I say my family is not just by blood...
  • October 24, 2010 4:47 PM PDT
    I spent all my teens and twenties trying to be a bad ass. I would fight anyone anywhere anytime. My father taught hand to hand combat to the green berets in the Army for 20plus years and he made sure me and my older brother were his best pupils if you know what I MEAN. It all changed for me one night at my 20 year high school reunion. Everyone there was introducing me to their spouses and husbands as the meanest person they had ever met. Needless to say it was eye opening, because since then ive tried to mellow out and stear clear of stuff. Being a badass is not all it is cracked up to be i think. It mostly leads to loneliness and alcoholism. I mean admit it do any of you like hanging out with people who are constantly getting in fights and other trouble. Life is too short so lets have a beer and a laugh sometime ok.
    • 0 posts
    October 24, 2010 4:49 PM PDT
    CHEERS................a beer or twenty sounds like a plan.......
  • October 25, 2010 2:39 AM PDT
    Always have wore leather when I ride n always will...it saved me big time last year when I hit that diesel spill...so I'll continue to wear leather...even on hot days..cause it beats the alternative....
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 1 posts
    October 25, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
    RandyJoe wrote...
    Always have wore leather when I ride n always will...it saved me big time last year when I hit that diesel spill...so I'll continue to wear leather...even on hot days..cause it beats the alternative....
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...

Rode with a couple of girlfriends this summer....they asked it I was hot with all that stuff on.  Later in the summer, one of them laid her bike down and suffered 3rd degree burn on her leg cause she was wearing peddle pushers...

Intimidation....keeps the would-be control freaks in check.