Another crazy idea from the Dragon

• 1780 posts
    October 22, 2010 9:16 AM PDT
    I'm actually looking for ideas here. Let's say you were out riding alone and got into an accident, you were knocked out when the emergency crew arrived. They can get your name and address from your driver licence, but what if you were bleeding badly and needed blood.. stat. You know it's important to know what blood type you are. Now some of us old Vet's might have our dog tags on us which has our blood type on them, but what about the non-vets. Here is were I open this up for ideas......what would be a good way to let the emergency crew know what your blood type is for a quick response on needed blood.
    Let's brain storm on this one to come up with a cool idea here...
    Here is a web site where you can get custom dog tags....
    http://www.evesaddiction.com/items_563__page0.html?gclid=CMuhquOy56QCFbBl7AodQBiK2A /> Dragon
  • October 22, 2010 9:27 AM PDT
    carry a health card next to your driver licence. not only is your blood type a good thing to have on it, but any allergies, medications, emergency contact, etc.
    or...if your alittle more on the radical side, you could implement this idea as some form of tattoo...just a thought...
    • 0 posts
    October 22, 2010 9:28 AM PDT
    Alot of Vets here have a blood drop and blood type tatooed on the inside of their arm to assist in fast recognition of blood type..The medi emergency bracelet things are a good idea too. they show blood type allergies etc...For me its easy, emegency crews know to top me up with a 2 stroke mixture of penrite 20/50 and JACK DANIELS....Cheers BOOF
    • 1780 posts
    October 22, 2010 9:31 AM PDT
    BOOF wrote...
    Alot of Vets here have a blood drop and blood type tatooed on the inside of their arm to assist in fast recognition of blood type..The medi emergency bracelet things are a good idea too. they show blood type allergies etc...For me its easy, emegency crews know to top me up with a 2 stroke mixture of penrite 20/50 and JACK DANIELS....Cheers BOOF

Boof you are killing me here......Damn why do ya have to be so far away...I would love to sit and tip a pint with ya
    Dragon

• 5417 posts
    October 22, 2010 9:48 AM PDT
    Wow, leave it to Dragon to make me think. Now I am kind of concerned as to what might happen in that situation. Guess until I come up with a better solution, like the Dog Tags (which I think I will do), I'm going to make a medical emergency card to keep in the wallet.
  • October 22, 2010 9:58 AM PDT
    Walmart dog and ID tag machine engraved for cheep and have seen an ID tag bracelet that is made of chute cord that can be used in an emergency . will try to find that web sight and post it. Emergency cord does come in handy once and a while..

Those that use a helmet do the pro racing ID and info on a tag on the back of helmet.  Some put note on front of helmet also.   It is usually last to be removed prior to ER workup.
  • October 22, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
    Dang, most people don't think of it unless they wear a bracelet/tag for a medical condition. Makes sense dude!
  • October 22, 2010 12:36 PM PDT
    The tag sight is www.survivalstraps.com. good possable use. also uses clip insted of screw shackle
    • 58 posts
    October 22, 2010 1:52 PM PDT
    Nuther Option/idea: How many people don't carry cell phones these days? My EMT son and Brother-in-law tell me that is one of the immediates they are now trained to look for. Newer phones have a preinstalled contact called ICE (In Case of Emergency). Can List all the above info plus the first 3 people you want notified. One suggestion My son has is to use ID bracelet as pointer to ICE info on phone. He does not highly recommend dog tags, Civil EMT's aren't used to looking for them.
  • October 23, 2010 8:29 AM PDT
    I have the ICE thing in my phone and Malissa knows my blood type so she might give the info to an EMT if I have been good!
    • 580 posts
    October 23, 2010 8:39 AM PDT
    I have ICE in my mobile phone - which I nevery ride without, and also my blood type - which is common old O negative (I know guys - common by blood and common by nature lol)

The entry in my phone says ICE - O Rh Neg - Noel (followed by the number). This shows whoever picks it up not only who they will be talking to if they need to ring the number but also what my blood group is. Anyone can do this - quick and simple.

I have ICE in twice - one with my home number and one with Noel's mobile number but each has the same info.

Hugs
    • 467 posts
    October 23, 2010 9:07 AM PDT
    My son lives a very "free" lifestyle, much like my Father did. So for his 18th birthday we got tattoos. His is on the bottom of his foot and says; "if found return to Gillette WY" and his blood type is beneath it because he has a rare blood type with an Rh factor. I know that many people will not think this is very funny, but given their tendancy to roam (my son and father) and their tendancy for trouble--it was practical.
    • 9 posts
    October 24, 2010 2:49 PM PDT
    Since surviving a 1.9 centimeter aneurysm 1 year ago, I now carry a card in my wallet which "alerts" medics as to my propensity to set off alarms (like at the airport) because of the metal in my head. (8 clips) An unnotified medical staff, could kill me with the wrong head scan. For those who may not carry a cell, like myself, a card of some kind, is the next best thing. Or dog-tags, or tattoo's. It's up to everyone out there to be responsible for your own well being, and trust me, you really want to do this....
    • 2072 posts
    October 24, 2010 3:02 PM PDT
    I have an Emergency Contact card WITH my license. Lists blood type, several contacts, insurance info ect. I also have a small label on the back of my license with blood type and my wife's cell number. Plus I have ICE on my cell phone...... Damn, I sound paranoid don't I !!!!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    October 24, 2010 11:34 PM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    I have an Emergency Contact card WITH my license. Lists blood type, several contacts, insurance info ect. I also have a small label on the back of my license with blood type and my wife's cell number. Plus I have ICE on my cell phone...... Damn, I sound paranoid don't I !!!!!!!

Damn BlvdCruiser where in the hell did you get your new picture. Spokey
  • October 25, 2010 2:27 AM PDT
    I carry a med card in a pocket inside my helmut, the emergency folks found it last August when I hit that diesel spill that not only knocked me out but almost killed me...I got the idea from an article that I read in a rocket mag...some crazy rocket riders do it, you know, the triple digit junkies, that ride the crotch rockets...?...Thought it was cool idea n since I'm a "I can't find my wallet dork" it works for me...
    Just sharing....RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 0 posts
    October 25, 2010 10:35 AM PDT
    If you are on any meds, you should list them too. I use the ICE on my phone
  • October 25, 2010 11:14 AM PDT
    Thanks alot dragon for all the info you bring to this website. It is very helpful and interesting too boot. I've been riding for thirty years and i never thought about having my emergency info available to first responders. I updated all my stuff last night, thanks again buddy.
  • g
    October 25, 2010 8:34 PM PDT
    should have some sort of vest ,or t-shirt with a velcro pocket on the brest or arm for a card ,loads of guys dont have cards ,so the vest -t-shirt might make them go get the card they need ??could also have ur club logo on the vest or even on ur card .make it trend .
    • 846 posts
    October 26, 2010 6:09 AM PDT
    Thanks a lot Dragon for starting this off and everyone on their ideas. So far I’ve added more pertinent information to my ICE section of my phone (Did even know it was there Thanks RufCut). Plus I’m going to add a medical card to the inside of my pathetic helmet (got a few from last year’s round of bike shows there’s always someone handing those out, mostly lawyers). I do carry all this information in my wallet but all over the place. Red Cross donor card has my blood type there’s also a list of my medication there too but someone needs to go through it all. Now in will be in three places just in case. Thanks again everyone.
    • 601 posts
    October 26, 2010 8:50 AM PDT
    I carry an organ doner card with my blood group on it, if I survive they have my blood I.D...if I don't, well they have full permission to take what organs they need to help someone else.

Thay could get good use for my brain, its never really been used.
    • 580 posts
    October 26, 2010 9:40 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    I carry an organ doner card with my blood group on it, if I survive they have my blood I.D...if I don't, well they have full permission to take what organs they need to help someone else.

Thay could get good use for my brain, its never really been used.

--- but has it been pickled Rory

I too have a donor card but carry that in my purse - don't always take my purse on my bike.  Maybe good idea to get one for carrying when riding too
    • 601 posts
    October 26, 2010 10:53 AM PDT
    Ya may be right Choco'..my liver will be left to science tho', but I think the Dragon has a serious point here...I know none of us go out to harm ourselves,but it's a thin line we ride, and it's always good to be ahead of the posse, how many of our brothers/sisters have died at the side of the road for the want of a wee bit of information to the paramedics. Dragon,we know you're crazy, mo chara...but your ideas are sound, and they may keep one of us alive.
  • October 26, 2010 11:45 AM PDT
    I compete in triathlons and marathons, I have an ID bracelet that I wear on my wrist or my ankle. It is from an organization that is online, the name of the company, Road ID. You can register with them and they will send you one for ten dollars a year. You will list all your medical stuff on their website, then if you are in an accident and cannot speak for yourself, the EMTs can run your ID number and get all your info.
    • 1516 posts
    October 26, 2010 12:10 PM PDT
    Well, at work, we put together a Personal Medical Journal. It journals all your medical history!!! http://www.lcpbooks.com