Close Call this past weekend

• October 19, 2010 4:11 PM PDT

This past weekend while my husband was home from work we decided to go out for a nice ride together. We didn't wind up having such a great time. First my husband went for a short ride alone since I drive slower and am less experianced. While he was on his way back to the house for me he drove through the small town we live just out side of. There is a yeild sign and as he slowed to see if it was clear for him to continue a car passed him illegally and almost ran him off the road. Now he got home safe and asked if I was ready to head out. He always has me go first so he can watch me. He also had our 15 yr old son on his bike with him. I was driving just at the speed limit and there were 3 cars behind us. The first 2 cars passed us with no problem. The 3rd car started to pass my husband, then as he got along side of my husband he just stayed there forcing my husband closer to the side of the road. I saw this in my mirrors and slowed a bit hoping the car would pass me too. He stayed right along side my husband. after about 10 minutes of this we saw an on coming car. My husband decided to move closer to the car and try and force the car to move away from us. Just as the on coming car got to me the car riding along side of my husband passed him and also passed me almost forcing me off the road. Just as he passed me the on coming car was also passing. There was no where for me to move to so I just held my breath and after the car did pass I had to drve about 1 mile further before I found a safe place I could pull over and stop. Needles to say it ended the day for us. Not only was my husband upset and mad my son was shaking and I was pretty freaked. I can still see the guys face now smiling and laughing at us as he passed. I am not going to let it scare me out of riding anymore but I am very cautous out there. I know I have to build my confedence back up since my accident back in May but people like that we don't need out on any road.

• 5417 posts
    October 19, 2010 5:28 PM PDT
    Yep, there are a bunch of real asses on the road.  Just glad that you and the family made it home safely.
    • 580 posts
    October 19, 2010 7:35 PM PDT
    What a t*sser!!! I am really glad you got home safe and please don't let this individual put you off the joys of riding on the open roads. Take care and big hugs
    • 58 posts
    October 19, 2010 11:14 PM PDT
    I see stuff like that every day out on the road. Many, many time, I wish for LEO to be doing their job and put these nuts out of their misery. I do note tags and call 911. Don't think it really does any good tho.
  • October 20, 2010 1:31 AM PDT
    I have had a simular situation with my young family in my car. I was passing a car that was travelling slower than the posted speed limit. As I pulled alongside he began to speed up blocking the return to the right lane. With a hill top coming soon I had to go more than 85 to pass. I took the family home and went out looking for the other car. Found it at a gas station, blocked its exit and called for the village officer. The owner returned and ordered me to move my car which I refused to do. Apon arival of the officer I told him what happened and that I wanted to issue a ticket for failure to yeald to a passing vehicle. He witnessed a CITIZENS ARREST and Issued the citation. He also stated that I had to be in court to testify as the Arresting individual. The fine was paid and no court appearance needed.
    It is possable to smack some Ignorant people with legal education.
    • 1364 posts
    October 20, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
    Glad you are all ok, Yip like Lucky stated asses..... Wa state is really bad for cage ragers.... Just always have to leave yourself an escape route... We have had similar situations and fortunately we have made it back safe
  • October 20, 2010 3:59 AM PDT
    I think a lot of us have been there. I ride motorcycle, have a school bus license and help farmers drive trucks during harvest. I've learned that anytime you are on the road, you 'drive' every vehicle on the road. Best thing for me has been the DDC4 classes. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.
    • 0 posts
    October 20, 2010 11:32 AM PDT
    First off, I am glad you are ok.
    Remember that your bike can out accelerate and out brake any normal car. Don't leave yourself alongside another vehicle for any length of time.
    I had one on the way to work this morning that went 20 over the speed limit to not let me in on a merge, and then slowed way down. That's Ok, I just went around him. He has no chance on keeping up if want by him.
  • October 20, 2010 12:13 PM PDT
    I am so very glad to hear you & your family are ok....I think we all agree with Lucky!!! Asses is putting it mildly...I also agree with GaryTJ...We need to do more to make the 4-wheelers out there aware of the 2 wheelers - we all share the road...Unfortunately they don't give stupidity tests when issuing licenses...

Again Glad everyone is ok....Chin up, take your own time & knees inthe breeze!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 567 posts
    October 20, 2010 12:46 PM PDT
    Some people are just plain mean. They shouldn't be allowed on our streets .. or even in our communities.
    Glad y'all made it thru this scare intact.
  • October 20, 2010 1:03 PM PDT
    Glad all are OK. I know here if you can snag the plate, the SHP will make a visit.
    • 1780 posts
    October 21, 2010 12:47 AM PDT
    OK I know I'm the radical one of this family, and always have been......this is one reason I carry a few nuts and large screws in my vest pockst. A nut hitting a Nuts windshield at 75 miles an hour will get his attention. I have been riding more years than I can remember, and I've had things like this happen, even people throw beer bottles at me, and all kinds of stupid stunts. Back in the 70's I lived in Lancaster California, and I road up interstate 5 to see a Buddy of mind that lived in San Fran. On my way home I was on 5 in the right lane and noticed someone driving next to me in the fast lane. I sped up he sped up I slowed down He slowed down. This guy had like a Charlie Manson look about him, so the next exit I waited until I got even with it and got off. I let him get a good piece down the road and I headed back out onto Interstate 5 again. I was getting low on gas so I pulled over a couple of exit's and there was the car that was driving next to me with his windows shot out, and several police and CHP units there. Not sure what happen but it looked like the dipshit got the short end of that inicident.
    Stay alert out there
    Night Dragon
    • 846 posts
    October 21, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
    Most important is that everyone is ok. Lucky and everyone else is correct there are some real asses on the road. One thing to remember is to keep what I call a health paranoia (there all out to get me) when riding. Not so much as to never get out and ride but just so you’re aware of your surroundings. The more you ride the more likely you’ll have your experience and ones like the others. Just don’t let ruin the overall joy of riding. I refuse to let a few asses keep me from enjoying my share of the road (just stubborn I guess).
  • October 21, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
    Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. I know I am a new rider only been riding on my own since last Feb But Doug my husband has been riding for more then 30 yrs. The first thing he taught me was always look out for the other driver and never trust any of them. They can't judge how fast we are going or how close we really are. I never assume they see me when I'm coming to an intersection. I didn't let the accident I had back in May stop me from riding and I'm not going to let a few bad apples in cars stop me. I enjoy the bike to much and my husband and I enjoy the times we spend together out there way to much to let anyone else ruin it for us.
    • 1066 posts
    October 21, 2010 7:41 AM PDT
    You have to have eyes all the way around your head when you ride. As for intersections I always slow down, trust no one. I have had people in their cages get all bent out of shape because I slow down. I figure we can stop and talk about it if they insist. If I get hold of my Cane, they are in deep. Nothing worse than an Old BIKER with a CANE and an ATTITUDE !
    • 1780 posts
    October 21, 2010 8:02 AM PDT
    Hollywood wrote...
    You have to have eyes all the way around your head when you ride. As for intersections I always slow down, trust no one. I have had people in their cages get all bent out of shape because I slow down. I figure we can stop and talk about it if they insist. If I get hold of my Cane, they are in deep. Nothing worse than an Old BIKER with a CANE and an ATTITUDE !

For those of you that haven't had the honor to meet Hollywood ...he is a mild mannored type, but don't make him use his cane on ya. Them pop knots on your head will take a while to go down.
    Hollywood you da man
    Dragon

• November 10, 2010 1:24 AM PST
    I'm glad to hear you got through it ok...however I gotta share this....I was riding from Klamath Falls OR on US 97 returning to Portland two summers ago, the streach from Chiloquin to Bend is called the iron butt ride, it's long, straight n lonley...I had a cadalliac do that to me n I tried a number of things to shake it...I ended up drawing a bead on him n he took off like hell bent for leather....

When I ride, I carry....RandyJoe...Ride Strong...