Lights on Bikes do you like them or not?

• 3 posts
    August 3, 2010 3:21 PM PDT
    I was just wondering how many here have lights on there bikes and how many need lights on there bikes and how many just hate lights on the bikes lol. 
    And for the ones with lights tell me what you payed to have them put on.   Thanks Chris
  • August 3, 2010 3:58 PM PDT
    It looks good ,helps in the visibility of the bikes. But often ,when someone is staring at it while it cruises by,there's always that danger of another not looking where their going. But over all I think its great
  • August 3, 2010 4:42 PM PDT
    Thay should come factory & if u don't like them u could just flip the switch (OFF)
    • 19007 posts
    August 4, 2010 12:57 AM PDT
    They do nothing for me but I am old School. This was the topic of a poll a few months ago. Here is a link to the poll
    http://www.cyclefish.com/Bikeilluminators/polls/62/ />
    • 413 posts
    August 4, 2010 6:17 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    They do nothing for me but I am old School. This was the topic of a poll a few months ago. Here is a link to the poll
    http://www.cyclefish.com/Bikeilluminators/polls/62/ />

• August 4, 2010 6:32 AM PDT
    i do like them i have not yet put any on but hope to soon it will only cost me light's and the time to install them. I was looking at a set that has over 2000 rotating colors for around $90 plus shipping
    • 567 posts
    August 4, 2010 6:45 AM PDT
    I think the LEDs on bikes can look cool. But too often they look overdone. You can put too many LEDs on a bike.
    My preference will be to add some lights to the front & rear of the bike for more visibility.
    • 3 posts
    August 4, 2010 3:20 PM PDT
    Yes I do agree on to many lights is not good thats why I mainly do the engine compartment to keep it classy. I also agree on more lighting on the back of the bike thats why I sell the stopper for the plate. And Childofheeartth88 $90 sounds cheap for that kind of kit so make sure its a good one becuase you wouldn't believe the kits I tare of for people because of junk I feel bad charging them for a whole new install when they just had lights put on by someone else less then a year ago becuase of cheaply made lights. But if they are good well then you are getting a great deal. I sell one with 15 differant colors for around $110 and thats usa made so beware of china junk. 2000 colors does sound pretty cool I would love the link to there sight so I can check them out. Thanks
    • 1066 posts
    August 4, 2010 3:49 PM PDT
    I'm not on the scooter enough after dark to even consider it. I have seen bikes that were tastefully done, and looked pretty cool.
    • 3 posts
    August 4, 2010 4:08 PM PDT
    If you go with blue you can see them during the day check my pics lots of those are during the day. Nice Bike by the way
    • 75 posts
    August 5, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
    I like the lights on bikes but they are a bit distracting.  I know cuz I've  been distracted by them!  I'm with SolarBill  on this one.  If you're going to spend that kind of money on lighting, put them on the front and back of the bike for move visibility!
  • August 5, 2010 7:11 AM PDT
    I rate them right in there with curb feelers and stuffed animals. Not on my bike!
  • g
    August 5, 2010 10:06 AM PDT
    look no bad on the right bike ,not for me though ,could na see them on ma zxr ,
    • 601 posts
    August 5, 2010 10:12 AM PDT
    If they don't show the way at night..........just bling
  • August 22, 2010 9:28 PM PDT
    there was a bike near our camp at this years redwood run and it was all lit up with blue led lights, it made a great porchlight for us to stumble back to from the stage area in the dark, so thanks to you blue led rider but if its not a headlight or brakelight i dont need them on my ride but hey to each his own right isnt that what customizing is all about, building what you like and only you
    • 58 posts
    August 24, 2010 8:25 AM PDT
    To me, they are/can be distracting, so not on my bike. Can't ever have enough front/REAR lighting tho. Also reflectors can be good.
    • 19007 posts
    August 24, 2010 8:58 AM PDT
    RufCut wrote...
    To me, they are/can be distracting, so not on my bike. Can't ever have enough front/REAR lighting tho. Also reflectors can be good.

I agree with ya RufCut. I recently put a new strobe-led tail light on Rex. It is really adjustable, number of flashes and brightness and such. I have it set for 8 bright flashes (in about 1.5 seconds) and then full bright (which is much brighter than the standard bulb set up). It really gets the attention of people behind me. I have noticed that people don't seem to tailgate me as much as before. I also had one idiot on my tail for a bit. Just tapping the brake a few times and slowing a bit made them back off. It was pricey but I am glad I put it on.

• August 24, 2010 9:56 AM PDT
    Like anything else, if they're done right they look good. I have sen them overdone or on bikes they just don't belong on, and it doesn't do a thing for me.

I have thought about just a bit subtle lighting on my motor, both for looks and for safety. I think it would help to be seen from the side. Does anyone know if it is legal to ride with lights on the motor?
    • 19007 posts
    August 24, 2010 2:01 PM PDT
    Sweetsofttail,
    Legality would vary depending on which state you are in. Hopefully led doctor can point you to the right place to find out. I believe in my state, PA, the motor code is written something to the effect ' lights must be as originally equipped from the factory.' Some police here quoted that to me back when I ran a blue dot tail light.
    • 76 posts
    August 25, 2010 1:59 AM PDT
    I like them, but agree that it can be overdone. Our neighbors have a Gold Wing and ride with a bunch of other Gold Wingers and when they're all together it is a sight!! I think they got into a "who can fit more lights on their bike" competition. My husband put lizard lights on ours and I like the look and also feel safer at night, especially on those unlit country roads. It is illegal in Ohio to have them on strobe and/or flashing, but otherwise it's all good.
    • 1780 posts
    August 25, 2010 2:04 AM PDT
    I have to roll with Rex on this one....I'm an old school dude, however on certain bikes, if not over done they look pretty cool.
    Dragon
    • 23 posts
    August 25, 2010 4:15 AM PDT
    I love them, but on certain bikes, it just isn't right. Too many can definitley overdo it. BUT, too few is just a waste of time and money. It's got to be done right to look good. Either put the lights on, or don't.
  • August 26, 2010 1:06 PM PDT
    I like them to. But not for my bike. My bike is to old school and ratty for that. And the ones with the brake lights that flash or spin and do all that shit stay in the back of the pack. If there riding in front you focus on there tail light not the traffic in front of you.