Do Bikers Consider the V-Rod a Harley?

• March 2, 2009 5:14 AM PST

I really like sports bikes, but don't really like the crowds that go with them all the time.  I would much rather hang out the local biker bar but everyone there has a Harley or some type of big cruiser.  When I pull up nobody gives me I hard time, but I can tell they would rather I park away from the Harleys.

I was looking at the V-Rods and they do look really nice.  When you pull into a biker bar with a V-Rod, do the other Harley riders welcome you as a biker or are you still considered the Crotch Rocket crowd?

• 5 posts
    March 4, 2009 7:34 AM PST
    I did forget to add F**K'em if they don't like your bike. They are probally RUBs anyway who only ride down to the bar on a Sat with thier shiny new leather and freshly detailed bike (that they paid some one to wash). Bunch of trailer queens.
  • March 9, 2009 5:41 AM PDT
    They are probably uncomfortable for 1 of 2 reasons. You're a female riding a sport bike and can probably out ride them or they have styreotyped you and think you can't ride at all.
    Another thing I've noticed is we all get painted with the same brush. sport bike riders are dangerous, cruisers are wannabes, and touring bikes are road couches and don't deserve to be called bikes. I ride with people because they ride and enjoy the ride, not because of what they ride.
    I agree with Lucky and Fatkid, ride what you want.

Johnny
  • March 10, 2009 3:42 AM PDT

Thanks for your feed back guys.  I wish everyone was as open minded as you and would just accept me as a rider. 

Johnny, I do agree that we all (anyone who rides) do get put in one category or another, even though the person doesn't know a dam thing about me.

I think I'm going with Fatkid's advice and just say F#@k'em and ride what I like!!!

Thanks again.

GoFast

• March 16, 2009 11:59 PM PDT
    people have made up there mind before they even know who you are. wrong bike, bike made in the wrong place, to much leather,wrong color skin, wrong color t-shirt w/ the wrong numbers on it. wtf??? life is too short for the b.s.
    my first bike was a 1980 honda coustom deluxe 650cc. i had a 1% biker say something to me in boston ma. in feb. " that parking spot is for harleys only" to wich i replied, " this biker bar is full of bikers? why is mine the only bike here?" he bought the first beer. you have to be able to reply to sh** talk, most of the time its a test of your skin thickness.
    keep the rubber down
    BLAZE
    USMV M/C
    • 5 posts
    March 17, 2009 12:55 PM PDT
    Hey Gofast I didn't mean to imply that its okay for a woman to ride, unless the laundrys done and dinners in the oven then sure go for it

Besides a Harley is just to big of a bike for a woman to handle.

Get Some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Just yanking ur chain.

Ride it like you stole it
  • March 18, 2009 5:16 AM PDT
    just who bought the bike anyways? If they paid for it, then it's their own fault you're not on a harley. if you paid for it, and you're happy with it.... screw 'em! Tell them they can buy the next one for you!
    • 19007 posts
    March 19, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

Hey Go Fast,
    Backing up Lucky and Fatkid. I have to say when someone prejudges you for what you ride they are obviously attempting to make them self feel better due to some personal short fall. They are trying to compensate for some inadequacy (get my drift?). I would bet that those who prejudge most likely started on something small with a foreign name on the tank and the power in their gray matter is so weak they don't have the mental capacity to have self esteem. Besides a whole lot on my American made ride is imported.

Finally to answer you the V-Rod is a Harley, but does it really matter?

• September 2, 2009 3:03 PM PDT
    Live and let live. The factory does it right most of the time...especially lately! Peace Out
    • 834 posts
    September 5, 2009 4:32 PM PDT
    Yes a V-Rod is a Harley. If I could aford another bike I would have one.
    • 1364 posts
    September 6, 2009 2:36 AM PDT
    Yes, It's built by Harley............ My opinion is who gives a F@%$ what you ride.... Be yourself. Be proud. To me it's the person riding the bike, Sharing the open road and life stories. As long as a person has a good soul and treats others with respect. Screw it Lets ride.............
  • September 6, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
    I'm with AzRider...If I could afford another bike I would have a V Rod too!Keep on riding whatever you got! Its about the ride and people like Highrisk and Lucky that you meet!
  • December 5, 2009 4:40 AM PST
    I agree with most of the posts above, ride what you want. We all get stereotyped one way or another. A lovely lady on a sport bike is labeled one way and then someone like me at 6'3 300 lbs on a rigid frame gets labeled another way. Who gives a flying drunk rat's a$$? But to answer your original question, Yes, a v-rod is considered a Harley now. It wasn't that way when they first came out. They were looked at as "less than a Harley" by most. But the same thing has been said when changes were made from the knuck to pan to shovel..etc. (The pan was the last of the pretty motors...lol) Most of the Harley riders welcome any Harley, bikers ( I use that term loosely because there are very few bikers left anymore in the definition I grew up with and still use.) accept anyone on a bike. Ride what you want, have a good time and if all else fails just come to East Texas and I'll ride drag for ya any time.
  • December 5, 2009 5:51 AM PST
    A Harleys a Harley and so is a V-Rod. What difference does it make so long as you ride. Look man I've ridden everything from Harleys to Triumphs, Beemers and Rice burners (my particular fav). Anything on two wheels turns my head. It's not what you ride, just that you ride.
    • 1040 posts
    December 5, 2009 7:03 AM PST
    I'd like to chime on on this.

Yes...a V-Rod is a Harley; made by Harley, sold by Harley....It's a HARLEY!!

Next....If the boys at the bar want to give ya crap because you ride something different then follow the rule given by BLAZE by standing your ground and remember to keep that skin thick in this world we live in.

Finally....I can't tell ya how many times I been told on forums or have read that the FXR is a girls bike and ya might as well buy or ride a Sportster...but never to my face though.

The FXR was first produced with the EVO engine in 1984 and lasted 10 years of production when Harley decided to drop it from there production line in 1994. In 1999, Harley had about 1800-1900 of the FXR frames and EVO motors still lying around at there York, Pa CVO factory and decided to put together as a CVO (Custom Vehicle Operation) FXR to clear out their remaining frames and motors; hence the 1999 Fxr2, 1999 Fxr3, and 2000 Fxr4 as the last Fxr's to be produced and the last EVO motor being produced in 2000.

During the years between 1984-1994 the FXR was a decent seller to the Harley public but alway's carried that stigmma as a Harley BUT, looked to much like a rice burner with the Fxr's triangular side cover that mounted on each side of the frame. If you talk to a current or past owner of a Fxr, they in most cases will tell you it was one if not the best Harley ever built. Now, that is arguable for sure but my point is that even within the Harley company itself there are those who want to stigmatize ya for whatever reasons they can think of (Probably for what Rex said, the mahood parts are inadaquate). Anyway, like the V-Rod with its water cooled engine, the FXR with its triangular side covers are the red headed step children of the Harley family but we ride proud because we are who we are and screw em all if they don't like it.

Best to ya and ride with your chin up and a smile on your face.

• December 5, 2009 7:40 AM PST
    IMHO, the FXR was probably the best bike the motor company ever built (I had a '86 FXRP). Handles like a dream. Bump the cubes up and it's one heck of a canyon carver.
    • 1509 posts
    December 5, 2009 7:45 AM PST
    Who cares what other people think. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and to you your opinion is the only one that matters. If you think that accrptence is based upon what bike you ride you probably don't want to associate with those assholes any way. Ride a crotch rocket if that is what gets your dick hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • December 5, 2009 7:48 AM PST
    I would hope SHE didn't have one of those. lol
    • 1040 posts
    December 5, 2009 9:07 AM PST
    TheExtreme wrote...

I agree, but my bet is she don't cause she's just too damn HOT to be carrying a hard leg....Remember; chin up, smile, and GoFastGirl 

• December 5, 2009 10:34 AM PST
    TheExtreme wrote...
     Amen to that brother!Hey by the way whats wrong with a Sportster?!I ride what I can afford!I would be happy to take a second hand bike if anyone is giving them away lol!
  • December 5, 2009 11:23 AM PST
    I buy old rice, carbs and end of an era makes me happy. Haven't ridden anything new since '85, it's my thing. Nothing wrong with Sportsters though, funny thing is back in the day the best choppers were made from Sportsters.
  • December 5, 2009 11:41 AM PST
    Gofastgirl,
    Your welcome down here in Central Texas to ride with us anytime. The group I ride with from time to time consists of Metrics, cruisers, sportbikes, young ladies, old men and whoever else loves riding.
  • December 5, 2009 6:03 PM PST
    Again i don't label people by their ride. To answer the question NO.
    • 1 posts
    December 6, 2009 1:26 AM PST
    Hell no!
    • 119 posts
    December 6, 2009 1:33 AM PST
    To answer the question, yes they do, or I do. Even more when a woman pulls up on one......